Looking for 2nd stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about a 2nd stove in my office. I have 1550 sq feet downstairs plus about 350 sq feet of attic space which has an open stair well from the downstairs and must be heated as there's a shower up there. was looking to add a 2nd hearthstone heritage used, but the sucky part is that's another $1500 for stove pipe, plus install, plus a hearth pad. so even with a used heritage, you're in the $4000 range. almost would have been cheaper to have bought an equinox to start with. problem with the building is that the room i sit in has a really high opening off the lobby where the stove sits. the other office / conference room has standard size doorway openings, so the heat doesn't flow well into those spaces. an additional stove in my conference room would take care of that room for sure and bump the overall btu capacity of my wood heating to about 110,000 BTUs. 2 heritages X 55,000 per stove. even one stove is not always great depending on how the heat flows in your space. Any advice / recommendations? I may be smarter just to run the furnace some and not mess with another stove. building is in NW Indiana so cold winters, but not the most brutal by any stretch

What about selling the Heritage and trying a larger stove such as the new Woodstock PH? Maybe the extra BTU's will flow into the other spaces a little better or you could try some fans for more air movement? Feeding two stoves can be a pain at times, as you know I'm seriously looking into a gas stove for my basement. Have you thought about another small gas stove?

Not a bad idea Todd. The Equinox needs an 8" flue, where the Progress works with 6". Though I am wondering if the main issue that needs to be addressed first is the heat bubble trapped in the high ceiling area.

firecracker, is there a ceiling fan or two in the lobby area? Have you tried taking the temperature at the lobby ceiling when the stove is going to see how much is stratifying up there?

No, no, no. The goal here is to push firecracker into buying a second Heritage. Specifically MY Heritage! ;)

No, no, no. The goal here is to push firecracker into buying a second Heritage. Specifically MY Heritage! ;)

Lol, that's right you need to make room for that 30. Or maybe he'd be more interested in a Keystone? I'm only a hop, skip and a jump from Chicago.

Lol, that's right you need to make room for that 30. Or maybe he'd be more interested in a Keystone? I'm only a hop, skip and a jump from Chicago.

Somebody getting Progress fever here?

I have to shrink the photos that I just took. Too large to upload at present. The problem is a 14 foot ceiling in the lobby and a standard doorway into 3 rooms with an open 12 foot entry into a 4th space, where I sit most of the time. In my profile pic, you will see a door behind a chair. That is a standard opening that doesn't get much heat. The room that gets hottest is the 12 tall entry space. Heat doesn't flow well to the left side of the building. Fans don't help much

Have you tried a table fan on the floor, in your office, blowing the cool office air into the hotter space with the 12' ceiling?

I have tried fans. The left side of the office stays cooler for some reason. I looked at it and my stove pipe would be about $1,000, install $500, and hearth pad $400+

What about selling the Heritage and trying a larger stove such as the new Woodstock PH? Maybe the extra BTU's will flow into the other spaces a little better or you could try some fans for more air movement? Feeding two stoves can be a pain at times, as you know I'm seriously looking into a gas stove for my basement. Have you thought about another small gas stove?
All depends Todd, for me it is just twice the fun;)

All depends Todd, for me it is just twice the fun;)

Well hell, Chief, stop on by my place any time and have three times the fun. I insist. In fact, I can give you the third bedroom if you promise to keep the three SOBs running 24/7 during January and February.

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.