Looking for advice on what to install in our basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicityfarmgirl

Sep 19, 2011
Downeast Maine
We have a 1940's farmhouse that is very hard to heat. We have a wood stove in our living room, but the floors are like an ice block all winter, so we thought we should put some heat in the basement. My husband is getting older and has abused his body in the building industry all his life, so we have decided to try a pellet stove rather than having to cut, split and haul even more wood into the basement. Knowing nothing about pellet stoves, I'm looking for advice. I've scanned several pages of posts on here and not finding much as far as general info for newbies or on basement applications, so thought I'd ask. These are the things I'm wondering about and would love feedback on:

- Are pellet stoves a good choice for a basement? I did read in one place they weren't, but they didn't explain why? Do they throw enough heat? Can someone who has one in their basement tell me how well it heats their house? And what size you run in order for it to work? How you have it set up? (ducts? leave basement door open? vents in floor? do nothing and the heat just radiates up perfectly?)

- What is the difference between a pellet stove and a pellet furnace? Do I have to have duct work on a furnace, or can I let it just 'blow' the heat into the basement? I've heard good things about the Harman P100 (I think it is called), and found a used one on Craigs List, but I don't have duct work. My husband thinks its overkill, but I think we need to go bigger rather than smaller because of the inefficiency of our house.

- What is your favorite stove with a large BTU and large hopper? Would like to be able to fill it once a day if possible. Keep in mind it's for the basement, so I do not care at all what it looks like and do not want to spend money for esthetics. I just want it to run hot and long and be reliable!

- I'm thinking I need 55-60,000 BTU for a little over 2000 sq ft of living space above our basement since the house is old, drafty and has crappy windows (we are replacing them as well, but only a few at a time as we can afford). Does that sound like the right output based on experience?

I will be shopping for a used unit via craigs list, as we can not afford a new unit and installation charges from a dealer. My husband is handy, so between that and this forum I think we can handle it. I just don't know what I'm shopping for. Thanks for any and all advice!

A pellet stove in the basement is fine if the only area you want to heat is the basement. But if you need to heat the whole house from the basement a pellet furnace would be a better overall choice. Some do it with more than one stove to get similar results as a furnace but there still could be cool areas within the house. Some of the newer pellet stoves do have the option of ducting heat to the upstairs area. The stove radiates heat for the basement area and the convection heat goes thru the duct work to the living area. Might also be an option?

Tough call and you will most likely need to move some air with some fans to get the whole house comfy. Pellet furnace ducted/zoned should be easier, But more expensive than the stove route!

I have a pellet stove in my basement and one upstairs on the first floor. They both work very well but i have some top quality windows and my house is fairly well insulated. I hope your house is well insulated and you have decent windows. Although pellet stoves will put out a consistent heat, they cannot match the output from a wood stove.

"We have a 1940’s farmhouse that is very hard to heat. We have a wood stove in our living room, but the floors are like an ice block all winter" Maine is a hard state to heat so we need to try to keep it inside! I very much doubt you will be happy with a pellet stove in a home that is so drafty that the floors feel like ice. First investment before any floors can be warm, is to invest in buttoning up you basement from leaking air. You first best investment is alway insultation and plugging drafts. Fix that and just about any heating device will keep your floors warm. http://www.google.com/search?source...l0l22775l33l31l6l2l2l0l379l5450l0.4.16.3l23l0

Status
Not open for further replies.