Looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie 08

Jan 3, 2008
Central Indiana
We bought our first home last year and it has a black bart 3200 insert placed into the fireplace. The blower and everything works well and it does a great job of keeping the house warm but there are problems. It is extremely hard to get a fire going. Sometimes I can barely get newspaper to take off good no matter the kenneling. Also, once the fire is started it can burn pretty irregularly. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes not at all. Also, its nearly impossible to keep the fire going all night. Either its burning good and all the wood burns up in no time or it just goes out on its own. The other weird thing about the stove is that it does not have a dampner, only 2 little plates on the front which slide open or close a few inches. I think a lot of the problem is probably due to a poor draft and after doing some reading it sounds like I may need a chimey liner. Essentially the insert was just put into an open box fireplace and it has a pipe that raises a few feet off of it and then it just goes into the open chimney. Do you think installing a liner will make this old insert easier to get started and keep going or do I need a new insert alltogether? With either option how hard is it to install on your own? Thanks.

A liner is needed, and then you might also want an updated EPA approved insert that puts the heat out and does not produce much creosote.
The type installation you have has not been legal for a looong time, save the house; get the liner.

What size is the clay flue the stubby liner dumps into? Common sizes are 8x8, 8x12 and 12x12. This is the OD of the clay tiles.

If you don't know the size of the flue I can only assume the worst and you have a 12x12 or bigger. This is too large of a cross sectional area for the insert. A full liner should be run all the way to the top, preferably an insulated SS liner.

How much does a liner cost and can it be done yourself? Will this help me burn better with the fireplace? I don't know how people can burn for 24/7, I can barely if at all keep a fire going all night. Either it burns up to quickly or it goes out.

If you want long burns and more heat output you should upgrade your insert to a modern one. Do you know when yours was made?

I think a good dealer or sweep might be willing to come check out your situation and give some recomendations.

The Bart 3200 was made in the early 80's. My neighbor has burned in one since 1982 and it is a major creosote factory burning into his 12 X 12 clay tiled chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.