Lopi Yankee Bay Control Board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_v

Jan 21, 2008
CT - Hartford Area
I noticed some differences between the manual that came with my stove and the manual currently on the Travis website - specifically concerning the control board and the air control. I know that with my stove, the control board modulates the exhaust fan speed depending on the heat setting (it says you can leave the air control alone for the most part, just adjust it occasionally as the stove gets dirty). In the new manual, it appears that the air control needs to be adjusted for each heat setting. Does anybody know if there were changes to the control board between the 2006 and current model years? If there were, what were the changes. As I mentioned in another post, I'm having some issues with combustion air flow on lower heat settings.

Yes they changed the board for one board to work with both the small and large pellet stoves that use a control board.

I am have the control board manual that I downloaded from Hearthtools.com (thanks) before they had to remove the Travis parts from there web site. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you. This might give you some of the information that you want.

JRB said:
I am have the control board manual that I downloaded from Hearthtools.com (thanks) before they had to remove the Travis parts from there web site. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you. This might give you some of the information that you want.

I had an old bookmark to the page with the manual on it, and I was able to download it. It looks like my control board is pretty much the same. I'll just have to play around with the stove some more and see if the problem cleared up with the door sealing a little better. Thanks for the info though - I didn't think the check that manual.

Does anyone know where I could get an actual service manual for this stove though? It seems like it would be pretty useful.

Chris, I just sent you a PM...I have the Travis service manual.

Post Date: 1/18/06
End Date: 12/31/09
New (2006) Avalon Pellet Control Board - Installation, Programming and Diagnostics

We are pleased to announce a new pellet control board which is now in
production and included in new pellet stoves and inserts starting at the
serial numbers shown below.

Model Serial No
Newport 2301-127536 (REV 2)
Newport Bay 2301-323217 (REV 2)
Astoria 2303-930271 (REV 2)
Astoria Bay 2304-08457 (REV 2)

There are several features on the new control board that you will want to know
about. The new board has all push button controls - no knobs! The new board
has several diagnostic functions that will help you quickly troubleshoot an
event where the stove stops functioning and faults. The timing functions have
been adjusted slightly to reduce incidences of the fire blowing out on the
lowest pellet feed rate. This new control board is universal - the same board
can be used with either large (Astoria & Astoria Bay) or small (Newport &
Newport Bay) pellet units. The new control board is not compatible with the
older 900 Series pellet stoves and inserts.

We have assigned part number 250-00011 for the new control board. Orders for
replacement boards for Astoria and Newport series pellet appliances will be
filled with the new control boards. The board, when you receive it, is ready
to install in large pellet appliances (Astoria and Astoria Bay). If
installing the board into a small pellet appliance (Newport or Newport Bay)
you will need to re-program it. This is a simple process of pushing several
buttons and observing a pattern of flashing lights.

Click on the link below to see complete instructions for installing,
programming and using the diagnostic functions.

We believe this control board is a substantial improvement over past control
boards. We think you will agree.

Here is the service guide
im not sure if it is Password protected for dealers only if you can download it let me know and i will put it on my server
http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/17601431.pdf

Technical Notices
Post Date: 6/1/07
End Date: 12/31/10
Avalon Small Pellet Stove Control Board Update

We have received feedback from the field concerning nuisance faulting of the flow switch
circuit on our small pellet appliances, the Newport and Newport Bay. This occasional faulting
can persist even after diligent trouble shooting and cleaning of the appliance. It is not
a common issue, but it has prompted a minor change to the control board programming.

The issue can occur when you first start the unit, or when the stove changes from "start
mode" to "run mode". During these two circumstances, the combustion blower has 15 seconds
to establish adequate vacuum within the pellet stove, or the board will signal a #2
fault code indicating a flow switch fault. To address these issues, it became apparent that
the combustion blower sometimes needs longer than the allotted 15 seconds to establish
the required vacuum pressure.

As a result, the following changes have been made to the control board programming:

1. The flow switch fault timer has been increased from 15 to 70 seconds. This change will
allow the combustion blower adequate time to create the needed pressure within the stove.

2. If the flow switch opens during the "run mode", the board will send line voltage to the
combustion blower for up to 70 seconds. The increase in blower speed will allow the flow
switch to close before the fault timer expires. Once the flow switch closes, the board will
return the combustion blower to its previous set speed.

If you have a pellet stove that is experiencing this type of nuisance faulting of the flow
switch circuit, then you should replace the old control board with a reprogrammed control
board. The new programming is listed in our database as number "49", and the boards are
reprogrammed in house. The way to distinguish the old boards, numbered "46", from the
new boards is the number "49" written on the back of the new board in black marker. (See
Figure 1)

We have already reprogrammed all of our service control boards and are in the process
of making these changes to our Avalon Newport and Newport Bay inventory. The
new pellet stove inventory will be distinguished by a "Rev. 3" notation on the serial
number label that is on the box.

Note: If you currently stock pellet control boards and would like them updated, please
send them back along with a RMA form to have them reprogrammed and sent back to
you.

her is a link to the PDF file
http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/Bulletin_1821.pdf

hearthtools said:
Technical Notices
Post Date: 6/1/07
End Date: 12/31/10
Avalon Small Pellet Stove Control Board Update

We have received feedback from the field concerning nuisance faulting of the flow switch
circuit on our small pellet appliances, the Newport and Newport Bay. This occasional faulting
can persist even after diligent trouble shooting and cleaning of the appliance. It is not
a common issue, but it has prompted a minor change to the control board programming.

The issue can occur when you first start the unit, or when the stove changes from "start
mode" to "run mode". During these two circumstances, the combustion blower has 15 seconds
to establish adequate vacuum within the pellet stove, or the board will signal a #2
fault code indicating a flow switch fault. To address these issues, it became apparent that
the combustion blower sometimes needs longer than the allotted 15 seconds to establish
the required vacuum pressure.

As a result, the following changes have been made to the control board programming:

1. The flow switch fault timer has been increased from 15 to 70 seconds. This change will
allow the combustion blower adequate time to create the needed pressure within the stove.

2. If the flow switch opens during the "run mode", the board will send line voltage to the
combustion blower for up to 70 seconds. The increase in blower speed will allow the flow
switch to close before the fault timer expires. Once the flow switch closes, the board will
return the combustion blower to its previous set speed.

If you have a pellet stove that is experiencing this type of nuisance faulting of the flow
switch circuit, then you should replace the old control board with a reprogrammed control
board. The new programming is listed in our database as number "49", and the boards are
reprogrammed in house. The way to distinguish the old boards, numbered "46", from the
new boards is the number "49" written on the back of the new board in black marker. (See
Figure 1)

We have already reprogrammed all of our service control boards and are in the process
of making these changes to our Avalon Newport and Newport Bay inventory. The
new pellet stove inventory will be distinguished by a "Rev. 3" notation on the serial
number label that is on the box.

Note: If you currently stock pellet control boards and would like them updated, please
send them back along with a RMA form to have them reprogrammed and sent back to
you.

her is a link to the PDF file
http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/Bulletin_1821.pdf

Wow, that really sounds like the issue I've been having, but I have a Yankee Bay. Any idea if this update applies to the larger stoves as well?

Hi ~ I don't mean to butt in on the conversation, but I wanted to make sure I was following correctly. The topic started out as Yankee Bay Control Board. Then the replies were talking about the Avalon Stoves... Is the control board made by Travis or Avalon...
Again, sorry to slow down the coversation so I can catch up... I think I need to replace my board as well...

jkp77 said:
Hi ~ I don't mean to butt in on the conversation, but I wanted to make sure I was following correctly. The topic started out as Yankee Bay Control Board. Then the replies were talking about the Avalon Stoves... Is the control board made by Travis or Avalon...
Again, sorry to slow down the coversation so I can catch up... I think I need to replace my board as well...

Travis makes both Lopi and Avalon. The Yankee Bay is basically the same as the Astoria Bay. Are you having the same problem with yours?

The problem I have with mine is:
I feel if the combustion time (i guess that means the amount of time the heat core is on) were longer I would have every fire start. At present, with a 50/50 of wood and corn pellets it does not ignite. Sometimes it catches just toward the end of the cycle, and sometimes it does not catch at all.
Does this sound correct?

jkp77 said:
The problem I have with mine is:
I feel if the combustion time (i guess that means the amount of time the heat core is on) were longer I would have every fire start. At present, with a 50/50 of wood and corn pellets it does not ignite. Sometimes it catches just toward the end of the cycle, and sometimes it does not catch at all.
Does this sound correct?

I've never had a problem with mine lighting. The problem I have is that sometimes when it is on heat setting 1 or 2, it will light, and then just after the startup cycle is complete it will show a #2 Flow Switch Fault. It seems that all the gaskets are sealed well, so this leads me to think it is the control board - especially since it is intermittent.

If you are burning corn you are just looking for more problems in the future with the stove Falling apart because the corn gasses are eating way at the stove
Check the Impeller of your combustion blower to be sure all the fins are still there.
it is just galvanized steel.
UNLIKE the high dollar corn vent you have it connected to.

chris_v said:
Rod,

I appreciate your help in finding those technical notices. Do you know if this might apply to the large stove as well? Have you seen this issue before?

Do you have a insert or a free stand?

their are MANY service Bulletins and fixes for the large pellet stove and it depends on if you have a insert or free stand and what year it was made

INSERT
Product Change Bulletins
Fuel Gate Added to Large Avalon Pellet Stoves and Inserts (Bulletin #2009)
Improvements to Astoria Bay Pellet Insert In Production Starting At Serial No. 2304-07952
Multi-Fuel Fire Pot Now Included
New Control Board - 7/2/2004 - SN 2304-07550
New Convection Blower Mount - 7/2/2004 - SN 2304-07550
Three Changes to Avalon Pellet Appliances (2006)

Service Bulletins
Changes to Avalon Pellet Control Board Label
Convection Blower Mount Retrofit - Astoria and Astoria Bay
New (2006) Avalon Pellet Control Board - Installation, Programming and Diagnostics
New Control Board for 2003 Astoria and Astoria Bay
New Wiring Kit Allows DVS Insert, DVL Insert, All Pellet Inserts and New Flush Wood Insert To Be Hardwired Into House Power. No More Blower Cords Across The Hearth!
Pellet Heater Door Adjustment
Pellet Troubleshooting Guide
Pellet Wiring Diagram
Restrictor Adjustment using a Magnahelic on Large Pellet Heaters
Service Tips for Sluggish Burning Large Pellet Stoves or Large Pellet Inserts.
Field "Tune-Up Kit" Available.

Free standing
Product Change Bulletins
Fuel Gate Added to Large Avalon Pellet Stoves and Inserts (Bulletin #2009)
Improvements to Astoria In Production Starting With Serial No. 2303-928717
Multi-Fuel Fire Pot Now Included
New Astoria 2003 Introduced - 10/29/2003 - SN 2303-927118
New Control Board - 5/20/2004 - SN 2303-927680
New Convection Blower Mount - 5/20/2004 - SN 2303-927680

Service Bulletins
Changes to Avalon Pellet Control Board Label
Convection Blower Mount Retrofit - Astoria and Astoria Bay
New Control Board for 2003 Astoria and Astoria Bay
Pellet Wiring Diagram
Field "Tune-Up Kit" Available.

Rod,

The stove is an insert and it was built in 2006. I'm not sure what the serial number is. However, the service bulletins that particularly interest me right now are:

Thanks.

Here is a note on the changes made in 2006 and below that is the links to the notices you asked for.
Post Date: 10/4/06

We are making three changes to our Avalon pellet appliances you will want to
note. One change simplifies using the large freestanding stoves, another
change simplifies using all stoves and inserts and the third change allows
considerably flexibility in the choice of fuel that can be burned in the large
pellet inserts and freestanding units. These changes are bring phased into
production one model at a time. Because of our "first built - first shipped"
inventory process, you may see the changes gradually.

1. Deleting Control Panel Door: We are no longer placing a cover door over the
control panel of the large Astoria pellet stoves. The Newport pellet stove
design does not include a cover over the controls, and this change makes the
features of the large and small stoves more uniform. Our control board is
attractive and allows your customer to see the stove settings and operation
status by observing the LED lights.

2. Deleting Ash Drawer Latch: We no longer include a latch on the ash drawer
of the large and small pellet stove and insert. Our pellet appliances seal
well without this added operation and cost and have been proven not to need a
latched ash drawer.

3. New Multi-Fuel Fire Pot: A new fire pot is included in the large pellet
freestanding stoves and inserts. This new design provides greater air flow so
your customers can burn wood pellets with a higher ash content or burn a corn-
wood pellet mix up to 50-50 proportions by volume. I know this will become an
important selling point in many areas where corn is readily available at a
good price. Please note, shelled corn used in a fuel mix must be free of husk
and cob fragments, have a moisture content of 15% or less and must be mixed
thoroughly with the wood pellets.

The change in fire pot is noted as a Revision (Rev Number) on the shipping
carton label of the of the large pellet stoves and inserts. There also is a
brightly colored label that states: "New Multi-fuel Fire Pot Included" on the
box.

This new fire pot is also compatible as a retrofit to previously manufactured
large pellet stoves and inserts that have the double latch system on the door.
You may order the multi-fuel fire pot using SKU# 250-00128 if you have
customers with a compatible large pellet stove or insert who want to burn a
corn/wood pellet mix.

Please note the following serial numbers that mark the implementation of the
double latch system. The multi-fuel fire pot can be used on the models shown
below with that serial number or higher.

Model Serial Number
Astoria 2303-928823
Astoria Bay 2304-08052

We will continue to stock the existing style fire pot for large pellet stoves
and inserts manufactured prior to the double latch doors.

The smaller Newport and Newport Bay models do not have enough combustion air to
operate to our expectations with a corn mix, so a multi-fuel fire pot will not
be an option on the small units.

Please update your floor models as necessary when older models are sold out.

End of notice

List of links

Pellet Heater Door Adjustment http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/17601387.pdf door adjustment
Pellet Troubleshooting Guide http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/pellet_ts_guide.pdf
Restrictor Adjustment using a Magnahelic on Large Pellet Heaters http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/873.pdf
Service Tips for Sluggish Burning Large Pellet Stoves or Large Pellet Inserts. http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/1513-2.pdf

You might want to look at this also
http://www.travisdealer.com/TechnicalNotices/862.pdf New Control Board for 2003 Astoria and Astoria Bay

and also on the note below it links the Sercice tips for sluggish stove notice above.

Post Date: 9/19/05
Improvements to Astoria Bay Pellet Insert In Production Starting At Serial No. 2304-07952

Several important improvements were made to the Astoria Bay Insert beginning
3/3/05 with Serial No. 2304-07952. These improvements include: (A) Air wash
cover plates installed, (B) Rope gasket installed in upper (inner) door
corners, (C) Air Deflector(s) installed, (D) Sealant tape gasket installed in
hopper lid. Please note: We added these upgrades to all the Astoria Bay
Inserts in inventory, so you may find stoves with serial numbers prior to the
number referenced above with the the upgrades. The orange sealing gasket on
the underside of the hopper lid is the indicator a unit has the upgrades.
These upgrades are the same as those offered in our Large Pellet Tune-Up Kit,
SKU# 93007342.

Please click on the link below to view our Bulletin #1513-2 which explains
more about routine door adjustments during servicing and the tune-up kit.
Also click on the Service Bulletin on the Astoria Bay web page, "Service Tips
for sluggish Burning Large Pellet Units.

hearthtools said:
If you are burning corn you are just looking for more problems in the future with the stove Falling apart because the corn gasses are eating way at the stove
Check the Impeller of your combustion blower to be sure all the fins are still there.
it is just galvanized steel.
UNLIKE the high dollar corn vent you have it connected to.

I will check the impeller, but I litterally just started to burn corn last week for the first time.

We have just installed a Avalon Newport Bay- SN 2302-323893 - mfg in 8/06. It worked for a day but, after checking fuses and connections, we cannot get the control panel to power up after that first time. No lights display at all. Can you suggest additional troubleshooting or do you think we need a new control panel although it seems the 2302 was not included in that recall and this was mfg after that time.
Sure would appreciate some assistance as we are in a pretty remote corner of the Panhandle of Texas. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2006 yankee bay pellet stove. And every year it comes up with a flow switch fault this year is no different. i have replaced the switch twice. and it keeps happening. i have noticed that when the stove is on manual mode it works fine, but when you switch it to auto mode. It soots up the inside, the flame gets lazy and the fault occurs. the lopi dealer that was in town was no help. another posting said the control board was the problem, but never said it fixed the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated!

z71chevy505 said:
....i have noticed that when the stove is on manual mode it works fine, but when you switch it to auto mode......

Manual mode and Auto w/ thermostat are basically the same thing. The thermostat just takes the place of you pushing the switch to "manual"....there should be no difference otherwise, AFAIK.

I had a 2005 Astoria and never saw any difference between manual & Auto.

PS I also have a pellet stove Service Guide from Travis Ind. that might help.....it's from 1999, but the stoves haven't changed much and it might give you some ideas. Send me a PM with your regular email address and I'll send it to you.

BTW, since the stove gives a draft error, and replacing the switch hasn't helped, have you cleaned/replaced the vacuum tube, and made sure the fitting it attaches to is clear?

Has the combustion blower been removed, cleaned, and the exhaust chamber it goes into cleaned completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.