Loved The Compliment But...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
When I got up this morning my wife told me "I like the temperature you are keeping it at up here better than it has been. Not as hot.". It was seventy-one in the bedroom upstairs.

I explained that it was nine degrees and snowing outside and I wasn't keeping it there, it was just the best I could do. ;lol

That's funny. I get similar comments both too cold and or too hot. It just depends. I told her the other day.....honey, it's not quite like the thermostat on the furnace......I can't just turn it up or down a degree. Oh well, after 42 years, I am to old to give up now.>>

Usually in the winter the stove room is unoccupied by everyone except me and the cat. Being a 12 X 12 room with an Englander 30 in there it easily stays in the 90's.

The wife worked late and the thermostat automatically drops to 62 an hour before quitting time. She called me when she left and said "Work was cold, it's 12 degrees out I can't wait to sit by the stove tonight with ya". Ding! Winning.

This was finally a real test for the 30. With the Napoleon when it dropped that low I had to have the furnace up to 73 and the bedrooms would peak at 77 and the living room would drop to 67. With the 30, with the bedroom door open a few inches they stay 75 - 77 and the living room has been staying around 72 with the furnace at 68 and 5 degrees for a low. I'm thrilled. I was never able to make it three weeks without the furnace kicking on at all. Could have made it longer but I had to work late :-(

Yeah she remembers the old stove. Get up at five o'clock to a cold house after an eleven o'clock night load. She ran that stove herself a lot. She is amazed that the joint gets too hot on a twelve hour burn until temps get down to the teens. That 71 was eleven hours after loading. In this weather I can just let that bad boy walk and talk on a load of big oak slabs.

I've usually got a couple of shirts on in case I have to take the dogs out, feed cats, get the mail, whatever, so 70 inside is about where I like to keep it. Much warmer than that, and I have to start peeling layers...
Oh yeah, I have to look at my stacks once in a while, too. ==c

Do you have a fire in the lower 30 going?

Do you have a fire in the lower 30 going?

It isn't even installed. The pellet puppy is still on that flue and hasn't been fired this season. I am starting to think of it as a spare if I split this one down the middle. Actually bought it because the deal was cheaper than the replaceable parts. Delivered.

Amazing. Don't think I'll ever see a deal like that with our stove unless a steal like jeff_t just got falls out of the sky on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.