Low flying helicopter !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

So I am sitting typing and I look at the bowls of hell in my stove and think wonder what would happen if the glass cracked right now ! Then to myself I say na it will be fine and go back to typing then my computer vibrates and I think what the blank ! My eyes gravitate to the stove and it starts to shake I think o crap !!!. I turn the air down then realize it is shaking the whole darn house and sounds really weird. Next thing I hear is woooooooo directly over the house and I think crap a chimney fire then it passes and my heart stops and then it dawns on me that was a chopper ! Now I feel like an idiot o_O

Pete

Whoa! Guess ATF finally found ya.

Pics? :p

We get those around here sometimes Pete.
I've been told they're looking for the pot plots. :p
We also get some small planes that fly pretty low, but I figure they're either heading toward or leaving our little grass strip airfield.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
I used to see them growing up a lot we lived way out in the boonys. They would fly so low that you could lasso the blades and go for a ride :p Never did try that but when I was 10 anything was possible ;lol It has been so long I had forgotten what the noise and effect was.

Pete

Did your stove suffer "down draft"? :)

Reactions: evilgriff
We are in the short final path of Dulles Airport, a general aviation airport and not far from a Marine Corp. base. I would never be able to count the times back in our chimney fire days when I either mistook an aircraft for a chimney fire or a chimney fire for an aircraft.

At least I am not the only one ==c When I was at MCRD San Diego California it was right next to an airport I swear we never slept :confused:.

Pete

Wierd how the flue here funnels outdoor sounds into the stove. With the fire long gone and I'm cleaning her out, I hear birds singing, cars going by on the gravel and aircraft on the landing path over us. Just as clear as when I'm up on the roof.

Wierd how the flue here funnels outdoor sounds into the stove. With the fire long gone and I'm cleaning her out, I hear birds singing, cars going by on the gravel and aircraft on the landing path over us. Just as clear as when I'm up on the roof.

Gark I have noticed that before it is so strange. The other night I had it open and heard a thump then realized it was my neighbors car starting! It backfires a lot.

Pete

Reactions: Gark
Helicopters all the time but rarely low. But wen 3 in formation come over, it gets your attention.

Sonic booms here. Usually far off but at moose camp, right over head sometimes. It rattles your bones & scares you a bit.
6 came over at camp this year, impressive speed.
F22s boys having fun.

247028_225111814184797_5134328_n.jpg

Me in the blaze orange shirt.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Fighter jets make practice bomb runs over the lake near me witch is not very far at all the launch ramp is 5-10 minutes away so you get the idea helicopters don't bother me.

Edit. they fly low and really fast.

I was on the beach at the lake one day when a bomber flew over REALLY low - felt like it was just over the trees. Came from behind us, from the woods, and was just suddenly there. Scary as Hell...makes you think what it would be like to have a war here.....back when Clinton was Pres and he was flying into Ottawa and landing at the GovGens and they had all kinds of wierd miliary stuff going on in conjunction with it...

We live near a Royal Marines base and sometimes a Chinook helicopter flies over our house.

Now I know they sometimes train for covert operations, but can anyone imagine a covert operation involving a Chinook...........;)

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.