magnum model 02 inserts... best zero clearance option out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
http://www.americanenergysystems.com/model2insert.cfm
i think i have finally found out what i will be using, a zero clearance approved fireplace insert.
now i am looking for one that can provide the most heat as my home is 3000SQ feet, and i would like to have this unit supplement my house furnace over the winters.
i like the looks of the 02 insert, but first hand reviews of it would be most beneficial. can it really heat up to 2500 sq ft? probably more realistically around 2000 sq ft?
is there any other make/model i should consider that can heat that sort of square footage or better?
i am sold on wood, and inserts that are for zero clearance as that is what i have to work with at the moment. i do not wish to incur the added cost of redoing my fireplace to accommodate a higher efficiency unit, so a ZC unit will have to do for now.
any personal experiences or information would be much appreciated.
thank you.

that thing is only 34,000 btu's. I think they are way overstating its capacity. Perhaps 2500 square feet in mexico?

for the other readers out there, parrot and i have talked about other wood burning models that will work. We sell 35k btu stoves for 500-1000 square feet worths of heat.

That thing this is a 422 pound cat stove that will take a 20" inch split. Methinks actual output would be more than the EPA default they are using.

i stopped looking once i saw the btu range. How they gonna fit a 20" split in that little insert? Most manufactures dont post the epa default, they post there own tested numbers. I will go back and review the product. Thanks BB for bringing that up.

MountainStoveGuy said:
for the other readers out there, parrot and i have talked about other wood burning models that will work. We sell 35k btu stoves for 500-1000 square feet worths of heat.
''

agreed, thats why i want first hand knowledge on the unit...
the spread of BTU's and sq ft that units claim to heat is almost comical. as some claim to heat 600-1000 sq ft and only have 30-40K btu's whereas this unit says it can heat 2500 sq ft but only 35000 btu's...

i dont see any owners manuals or sizing on there site. We know the 2700I will fit, so that means its a pretty small fireplace.

MountainStoveGuy said:
i stopped looking once i saw the btu range. How they gonna fit a 20" split in that little insert? Most manufactures dont post the epa default, they post there own tested numbers. I will go back and review the product. Thanks BB for bringing that up.

I did a little digging. The firebox is 2.1 cubic feet. The reason the thing weighs so much is that they use 1/4" and 5/16" steel for their fireboxs.

we need the dimensions, judging by the CF dimensions of the firebox, it should be a real life out put of about 60k at 75 efficiency... Im thinking this insert might be to big for his box. parrot, can you call them and get the minimum firebox dimensions?

Here is the manual. Go to page 45 for the specs on the Model 02.

MountainStoveGuy said:
i dont see any owners manuals or sizing on there site. We know the 2700I will fit, so that means its a pretty small fireplace.

i called and got the dimensions, it will fit.
i am not dead set on this particular unit, however it does boast heating the largest square footage of all the ZC inserts i have looked at thus far.

thank you guys again for all the help. you are going way above and beyond what most do to help new guys out.

par0thead151 said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

i called and got the dimensions, it will fit.
i am not dead set on this particular unit, however it does boast heating the largest square footage of all the ZC inserts i have looked at thus far.

thank you guys again for all the help. you are going way above and beyond what most do to help new guys out.

tonight i am putting back in all the stuff i took out and will get measurements off of that...

That unit has been out for a long time it used to be Country Flame.American Energy bought them out a couple years ago.They are a heavy built unit that work.Dry wood is a must to keep temps up on the stove. Country Flame has always built a heavy duty product that burn well day in day out. It sounds like American Energy is building them to the old standards,they always been a heavy stoves to hump around.

Daryl said:
That unit has been out for a long time it used to be Country Flame.American Energy bought them out a couple years ago.They are a heavy built unit that work.Dry wood is a must to keep temps up on the stove. Country Flame has always built a heavy duty product that burn well day in day out. It sounds like American Energy is building them to the old standards,they always been a heavy stoves to hump around.

so they are not over estimating their numbers more so than other manufacturers are then?
i read that too, the magnum company purchased country flame.
im still holding out for a first hand experience with this model. surly someone on here has had one or still is using one?

Parrot, to me, it sounds like a good unit. It has the firebox size to produce good btu's. If it fits, then i say go for it. But it needs to fit with the components inside the ZC firebox. Do not modify the inside to make it fit. Also, make sure you have enough room to connect the liner to the flue collar.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Parrot, to me, it sounds like a good unit. It has the firebox size to produce good btu's. If it fits, then i say go for it. But it needs to fit with the components inside the ZC firebox. Do not modify the inside to make it fit. Also, make sure you have enough room to connect the liner to the flue collar.

sounds good.
what is a good rule of thumb for determining if there is enough room to connect the liner to the flue collar?
i really hope this unit fits as i like the cosmetic look of it and the square footage rating...

I considered one of these over about a year & a half ago thinking of doing the same thing the OP is doing. It is Heavy & well built. I was torn between the 02 & the Lopi Revere. I chose the other route...tear out & put in a stove. I still have the literature from the 02. I'll see if I can get the info to show up.

Attachments

• Scan0002.jpg
    Scan0002.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 471
Parrot, what are your internal firebox dimensions? Is your firebox flat at the top? does it cone up to a damper section? What are you planning on doing for side clearances? It looks like you have plenty of clearance up top, sides dont look like there going to make it. Its hard to say, but it also looks like you might need hearth extension.

Going of the photos from this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40663/P0/

the side clearances looks like they will work. The 20" hight might work, wish it where tapered more front to back, makes it a bit easier to connect the flue. I cant get the manual to load to confirm its ZC approved.

gasavage said:
I considered one of these over about a year & a half ago thinking of doing the same thing the OP is doing. It is Heavy & well built. I was torn between the 02 & the Lopi Revere. I chose the other route...tear out & put in a stove. I still have the literature from the 02. I'll see if I can get the info to show up.

ok the fire box is returned to how it was before i got my mits on it...
i have 23" wide in the back 40" wide at the front that is insulated by ceramic and 42" for the actual opening of the hole that is surrounded by marble
19" deep
21" tall if i were to keep the marble facade in tact as the opening is right now, but if i need the height i can cut the marble facade i will have 26.5". that is the total height of the sheet metal from ceiling to floor, i assume i need a few inches for the liner and to connect all the pits and pieces in there?
this looks promising so far size wise, as it looks to be a good fit...

MountainStoveGuy said:
Parrot, what are your internal firebox dimensions? Is your firebox flat at the top? does it cone up to a damper section? What are you planning on doing for side clearances? It looks like you have plenty of clearance up top, sides dont look like there going to make it. Its hard to say, but it also looks like you might need hearth extension.

Going of the photos from this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40663/P0/

yes, the firebox is flat at the top.
the damper is flush with the top of the fireplace, it has a handl;e that extends downward so as to open and close it.

par0thead151 said:
gasavage said:

i have 23" wide in the back 40" wide at the front that is insulated by ceramic and 42" for the actual opening of the hole that is surrounded by marble
19" deep
21" tall if i were to keep the marble facade in tact as the opening is right now, but if i need the height i can cut the marble facade i will have 26.5". that is the total height of the sheet metal from ceiling to floor, i assume i need a few inches for the liner and to connect all the pits and pieces in there?

Parrot, the only space you have available for a insert is the hole that you burn wood in. Not the entire metal box. There can not be any modifications to the firebox to make something fit. The 40" dimension sounds like the over all dimension, what is the hole? 30".

Do not forget your clearance to combustibles. You have a mantel, and side protrusions that will need to be kept within the clearance window. Also heart extension. Some require 16" from the front of door, some require 18". The 02 has a bay front and 18". You need to make sure that you have the clearance from the front of the door to the edge of tile.

MountainStoveGuy said:
par0thead151 said:
gasavage said:

19" deep

Parrot, the only space you have available for a insert is the hole that you burn wood in. Not the entire metal box. There can not be any modifications to the firebox to make something fit. The 40" dimension sounds like the over all dimension, what is the hole? 30".

Do not forget your clearance to combustibles. You have a mantel, and side protrusions that will need to be kept within the clearance window. Also heart extension. Some require 16" from the front of door, some require 18". The 02 has a bay front and 18". You need to make sure that you have the clearance from the front of the door to the edge of tile.

sorry, i was going off of what i was told by one of the "pros" who took a look in person, so im not sure if they were telling the truth or not. they said that nothing can be modified but the little black shroud that is for keeping smoke from drafting inside the room? maybe they are wrong or i mis understood them though...
without any modification i have 21" in height

You can modify the smoke shelf, but the width is not proportional to the hight. Is the inside really 40" x 21"? not that it matters, i think either of the inserts posted here will fit. I dont think you have the clearances for the o2, but the other one seems ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.