magnum model 02 inserts... best zero clearance option out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you will be ok as long as you follow the clearances. clearances count to any protruding combustable material. I think the 02 wanted 12, the enviro wanted 10. Get the measurement 23 inches of hearth will be fine as long as the bay is no deeper then 5 inches on the 02, if it is to close, you will need to extend the hearth as well. Also check the manual for the 02 to make sure the floor protection does not require a certain r or k value.

ok, so i can know what to expect from the 02 model, it claims to heat 2500 sq ft, realistically probably 2000...
i have a 3000 sq foot home, so i can expect if i keep this thing running wide open, to help subsidies my utility bill by 2/3 wood and 1/3 nat gas heat?
also, is there a reason to consider any of the other ZC inserts over the 02 model? form what i have read so far, the 02 is a tried and true insert.

ok, looks like the 02 insert will be what i get.
i am going to try and find out if i can use the same pipe that is running up right now as it should be the one from my majestic SR42 and have a liner as well. i tried to get on the top of the chimney but my ladder is not tall enough(short by about 6')
is there any way i can get the info of the pipe that is in there presently?
will any liner suffice if there is indeed a liner on there right now?

edited to add:
are there any dealers on this forum for country flame who can order me the model 02 insert?
i would not mind giving backj to this community, given how much help i have received from it already
if not, i have a local dealer who is saying he can get me the insert with door, and all other accessories for $2,500

parrot, buy local. They will be the ones that service and warrant your appliance. We (I) appreciate the thought, but these type of things are best handled by your closest dealer. Im glad you got squared away, please post photos. We look forward to hearing from you this heating season.

You will use the same pipe you have now, but lined to the proper size and temp rating. The current pipe does not meet that rating. The pipe you have on there now is majestic pipe that is designed for the majestic fireplace.

best of luck to you parrot. Keep us up to date.

MountainStoveGuy said:
parrot, buy local. They will be the ones that service and warrant your appliance. We (I) appreciate the thought, but these type of things are best handled by your closest dealer. Im glad you got squared away, please post photos. We look forward to hearing from you this heating season.

You will use the same pipe you have now, but lined to the proper size and temp rating. The current pipe does not meet that rating. The pipe you have on there now is majestic pipe that is designed for the majestic fireplace.

best of luck to you parrot. Keep us up to date.

thank you all for the help. i know it has been a battle trying to figure out what i was trying to say at times...
so i should be good to go with the pipe, so long as i can find an adapter that will fit the )2 insert and the pipe i assume. liner will be replaced with one rated for the 02 inserts temps.
i just want to sound educated to the guy i buy from so i dont get the wool pulled over my eyes and sold some pipe i do not need, or other goods i dont need.
thanks again

well this certainly ruined my day
the model 02 insert is 72% efficient. i need 75% or better to get the tax credit!
this is insane. back to looking for a insert...
i was going to order the 02 today as well.... man this stinks!
i wanted to be burning wood come 2-3 weeks from now

MountainStoveGuy said:
wow, that sucks. Did you look at that enviro model that was listed in here somewhere?

im looking at that as we speak. it has the same weight(400+#) but it is rated in BTU's not ability to heat X# of square feet of a home...
hard to compare the two on that. anyone have information on this unit first hand(the enviro 1700 ZC rated insert?)

Two forum members have that Enviro 1700 insert and that sucker will heat up the joint. If 74,000 BTUs won't heat your house, check into the Hilton for the winter.

a btu rating is better then a square foot rating IMO. square foot ratings are misleading. 60k btus is about 1500-1800. 80,000 btus is 1800-2200. Thats what i use for my climate and elevation, and typical mountain construction (average).

BrotherBart said:
Two forum members have that Enviro 1700 insert and that sucker will heat up the joint. If 74,000 BTUs won't heat your house, check into the Hilton for the winter.

thanks for the information. any idea what they paid for the entire unit?

my climate is at sea level(south eastern wisconsin)

The other guys paid around $1,800. Originally I was going to buy one but the guy here claimed he wasn't a dealer for them. Until I sent a note to Enviro and a month after I already had the Englander installed he decided that maybe he was and called.

I'm pretty sure that 72% efficiency is the old EPA default efficiency and they either haven't retested or don't have the certificate yet. In my brief hearth career we carried Country Flame and were expecting them to change that any day. Maybe call the company and ask.

I priced it out of the retail book. Prices have certainly gone up in the last few years huh. I dont know of any inserts that have decent size coming in under $2000 except enerzone, and they are not ZC approved.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I priced it out of the retail book. Prices have certainly gone up in the last few years huh. I dont know of any inserts that have decent size coming in under $2000 except enerzone, and they are not ZC approved.

When we bought our Endeavor in November of 08, the dealer said we should get in now before the coming price increase. Out of curiosity, what is the main cost driver in the stove business? The price of steel? Labor? Both? Something else entirely? Or was she just using a clever tactic to help finalize a deal?

MountainStoveGuy said:

Yeah I just took a look around. The online guys are in the $2,000 to $2,100 range so with freight if would come to twenty three or so.

That new Venice is a nice looking insert. It is going to be a player.

Pagey said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

When we bought our Endeavor in November of 08, the dealer said we should get in now before the coming price increase. Out of curiosity, what is the main cost driver in the stove business? The price of steel? Labor? Both? Something else entirely? Or was she just using a clever tactic to help finalize a deal?

normally we get the years price increase in the spring, normally in the realm of 3%-5%. Sometimes we get hit in the burn season, but not usually. Stoves took a big jump after katrina, mostly due to steel prices and the cost to ship them. We saw a 25-30% increase in two years. Most manufactures have not had a increase this year (hearthstone just did).

MountainStoveGuy said:
Pagey said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

normally we get the years price increase in the spring, normally in the realm of 3%-5%. Sometimes we get hit in the burn season, but not usually. Stoves took a big jump after katrina, mostly due to steel prices and the cost to ship them. We saw a 25-30% increase in two years. Most manufactures have not had a increase this year (hearthstone just did).

Thanks for the insight. Curiosity killed the cat and all that. I hadn't thought of shipping costs, but I can imagine when diesel was nearly $5/gallon it was indeed pricey to ship a lump of steel.

a local dealer will sell me one for $2400 and a 700$ install.
would it be a bad idea to buy one of these from a dealer online who has lower pricing due to no overhead? and then have a local "expert" install it for me?
i am considering this as the store is hiring out the install anyways, so i figure i could save some money going this route as the store has not helped me at all in my search for a stove, all that work was done by the great members of hearth.com
:)

If you want warranty work done (if needed) by your local dealer then buy it from them. If you dont mind paying for warranty work if something happens, then buy it online. Im glad your getting this project nailed down!

MountainStoveGuy said:
If you want warranty work done (if needed) by your local dealer then buy it from them. If you dont mind paying for warranty work if something happens, then buy it online. Im glad your getting this project nailed down!

how would warranty work not be covered if it was bought from a distributor and installed by someone who does installs for a living?
If installs must be done by the distributor to have a valid warranty, then i will go that route, otherwise there is a local store(long standing and good reputation) that does installs for 70$ an hour.
if my logic is off or facts are off, please correct me. i dont want to pinch pennies if there is a legitimate reason not to....

thanks

because dealers are only responsible to warrant the products they sell. If the distributor is in your area, he is responsible for the warranty. If he isnt, he still is responsible for your warranty, just good luck on getting them to fix it. Local dealers are not responsible for warranting things bought out of there shop, especially on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.