Maine wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoogy

Mar 22, 2008
vermont
I Bought 11 ton last year of these. I burned four ton of them. I don't care for them a lot of ash in them and it takes one more bag per day then it did last year to heat with. I had 3.5 ton of new englands leftover so i used them then i went with the maine. I am going to buy 2 ton of linegtics. going to mix with maine. What do other people think if the maine pellets?

hoogy,

Do you know when those pellets were actually made? There were a lot of the old ones around that were still being sold cheaply last year.

MWP has gone through several changes to their manufacturing plant and the 3 tons I purchased last January were much much better than the prior ones.

I also have it on good authority that the latest batches are even better.

I've seen some of the new ones and they don't look anything like either of the two batches I bought and burned. I've still got to pick up a few bags to test.

I've burned 3 different generations of MWP pellets over the last 2 seasons, the most recent 10 bags I burned in the past month had just arrived from the factory, and they burned much cleaner and hotter than either of last years batches. I believe their current mix is a 60% hardwood / 40% softwood blend, and they must be sourcing a better quality of sawdust supply than they were in their past production practices, what was unaffectionately known as "dirt in a bag" . They still don't put out the heat and low ash of a Barefoot or Okanagan pellet, but at $199 per ton the price is cheap if you don't mind cleaning your stove a little more often. I'm planning to go w/ Barefoots during the coldest part of the winter and MWP for the shoulder seasons.

DMKNLD said:
I've burned 3 different generations of MWP pellets over the last 2 seasons, the most recent 10 bags I burned in the past month had just arrived from the factory, and they burned much cleaner and hotter than either of last years batches. I believe their current mix is a 60% hardwood / 40% softwood blend, and they must be sourcing a better quality of sawdust supply than they were in their past production practices, what was unaffectionately known as "dirt in a bag" . They still don't put out the heat and low ash of a Barefoot or Okanagan pellet, but at $199 per ton the price is cheap if you don't mind cleaning your stove a little more often. I'm planning to go w/ Barefoots during the coldest part of the winter and MWP for the shoulder seasons.

MWP is a good choice for a mid grade pellet, and they have been getting better.. They still use alot of "raw stock", but have been de-barking everything, and grinding it all finer. BTW, howdy, neighbor! I live just 'cross the line in West Gardiner....

hoogy said:
What do other people think if the maine pellets?

I agree with the others here, The MWP have improved there product and the latest run is the best yet. I can get then locally for $199/ton.

hoogy with you being from Vermont, Have you tried the Vermont Wood Pellet Co. softwoods? A bit more expensive than the MWP. But burn hotter and much cleaner. They also use logs as there raw stock(Debarked and chipped) and do a fine job with it. I burned a few bags and the ash content was less the 0.3%. Check them out if you get a chance.

SmokeyTheBear said:
SparkyDog said:
hey they still work great on icy walkways!

Hey Sparky,

How are those Massachusetts pellet geniuses in Fitchburg doing?

Don't know...never dealt with them..
But they didn't tell me to turn my feed rate down to 2 on my Harmen so I could burn their crappy pellets properly...which only made matters worse.
They sold substandard pellets as premiuim pellets at premium prices.
It is companies like this that have made it necassary to make a new catagory of pellets...super premium.
maine Woods still work great on icy walkways...and a lot easier on the masonary than salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.