Making an Axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well done video, nice mix of traditional and modern methods. Would have liked to see a scene of the axe in use though. Looks like a gorgeous tool.

That's a great video. The music fits in well with the mystical nature of metal working.

Really enjoyed that. Thanks.

pen

yow, damn, wow. Nice handiwork. I don't think I could bear to use it though. Nice workshops too.

Very cool

Awesome vid, thanks for sharing! We have a resident 'smith on Hearth.com (Bob Urban), he makes some GORGEOUS knives. I have an antique forge (Civil War era) that I plan on putting back to use someday......just too many 'irons in the fire' right now...(pun intended) ;)

Reactions: BrianK and osagebow
Ha Scotty, I have to get some irons in the fire. I have the anvil and tools, I've been looking at brake drum forges on youtube and may be thinking of building one for small projects. Mostly utilitarian hooks and other implements for the outdoor oven. I really just want to try my hand at forging and maybe incorporating some metalwork into woodworking pieces, especially wood re-purpose projects.

I bet the guy in the video could crush my hand with his grip after watching swing those hammers. There is a bit to learn there.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Took 3 yrs hot metal/forging,arc welding,machine shop in junior & senior high.Still remember the basics & use them occasionally,not often enough to have any real ''speed'' or a production mode however.Bought 108lb Peter Wright anvil at local auction in mid 80's for around 70 bucks if I remember.That was a good price even then.Also 70lb blacksmith post vise in great shape (original spring,not a speck of even surface rust,handle isnt bent at all,usually these are twisted like a pretzel) for less than 30 around same time.The various size & shape hammers were comparitively cheap,not so much now.

Long before ebay & other internet sites I looked & waited almost 3 yrs before finding that vise,its the only one I seen at all those auctions.They're quite common now,some are beat to death & no better than scrap metal with broken or missing parts,yet still end up going for 3-4 times what my ol' veteran cost me years ago. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pallet Pete
That's pretty cool Thistle. That would have been a great class to take. I've been checking CL lately, not much on there, but when there is something, it costs more coin than I want to shell out for something I will only use occassionally.

Thanks for sharing this one. Beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.