Making applesauce on woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
The wife has made apple butter on the wood stove in the past. This past week she was making applesauce. Naturally the stuff cooked a bit slow but it worked for most of the cooking. When she got to the point where sugar was added though she put it on the regular cook stove because to stand there and keep stirring by the wood stove she just got too hot!

Interesting that we had put a couple of big pots on the stove while we made a quick run into town. Before we left for town there was about a half load of wood in the stove but no flame. When we returned, the stuff was just starting to boil and the stove top was 680 degrees.

She finished canning 67 pints on Saturday. I'm betting we won't be making applesauce next year! lol

67 pints is one healthy amount of apple sauce.

Bet all that work stunk the house up awful pretty

pen

Man, you guys must really like your applesauce. :cheese:

Me too, I will be sending you my address in a pm. :lol:

Hey, I eat a lot of certain types of fruit; applesauce being just one of them. We also have our own peach trees, raspberry bushes and strawberries. So not only do I get all of our heating fuel off our place but much of our food too. Very satisfying indeed.

Yes, 67 pints is a lot so we probably won't make applesauce next year. Last year was a bumper crop of almost all fruit. Every year is not like that and 2 years ago we did not get much fruit at all. By canning we can still have fruit even if our trees don't produce in any year.

Jags, that is some tough packaging to send those glass jars. How would it be if I drop some off on our way through Illinois on our way to Omaha?

Status
Not open for further replies.