Miami Beach?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunker Down

Sep 4, 2014
Long Island
With 6 kiln dried splits and 5 or 6 12" 2x4's and dampered completely down after getting up to almost 700 degrees in about 30 minutes. Our new englander nc 30 turned our home into Miami Beach at 88 degrees.

Is this normal? It was in the low 40's last night and the fire burned from 8pm to 3 am. I did not see any coals at 4:00 am.

I am a complete novice to wood burning. My homes is a semi open ranch, approx 1800 sqft of living space. Built in 1963. The attic is well insulated. The walls not so much. The windows are 2 years old, Anderson hurricane high performance with 1/4 inch glass.

Is this what I should expect every time I run a large load? Is that a large load? It was so warm it became humorous when everyone was stripping down and we were opening the windows and drinking wine in our skivs :)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you have no need for 2x4s in the mix. And you may need to turn down the air sooner. Just start the fire with a couple splits placed N/S about 3-4" apart. Ball up some newspaper or put a fire starter in between the splits. Criss cross some kindling on top and ignite. Once the kindling is burning briskly place another split diagonally across the gap. Start turning down the air in increments once the upper split is starting to burn well. 3-4 splits may be all you need until the weather gets colder. No need to run large loads until it gets cold enough. We heated the house on a 3 split load from 9-4pm yesterday, then I refreshed the fire with couple more splits for the evening.

How large is the area that the stove is in. Are other parts of the house getting as warm or just this area?

One leg of the house was 78 when the room with the stove was 88. And the back of the house was slightly lower than that. How ever, wow was it great to be warm! I think I finally understand the wood burning obsessions. The possibilities are endless. With in reason :)

Watch the candles.
Melting candles.jpg

Reactions: BrotherBart
During the fall months I think running the stove is all about timing. Last night I loaded the stove about 10:00, the house temp was about 72 at the time. When I went to bed the stove room was about 86. I keep our bedroom door closed before I start the fire and only open it a few inches at bed time making it very comfortable in there. Woke up to an average house temp of 73. Loaded the stove up with crap wood and haven't added any more wood all day. It's 72 in the house now and I'll start it up again around 10:00. Same temps forecast for tomorrow morning so should have the same results.
You just need to find what works for you.

You'll learn how to control the stove better with time but 2 x 4's will burn super hot. Nice to see a new burner complaining about too much heat rather than not getting any.

Status
Not open for further replies.