MONSTER round.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that oak does not carve well with a chainsaw. It almost looks like pine.

Hi Paulywalnut, it is Oak, not sure if English Oak is the same as the Oak in the US, there are numerous varieties so maybe not ?.

Hi Paulywalnut, it is Oak, not sure if English Oak is the same as the Oak in the US, there are numerous varieties so maybe not ?.
Thank you for the info.

Thank you for the info.

Don't know how difficult it is to carve, I will maybe try it one day, if it all goes wrong can always add it to the pile of uglies :).

That is awesome, Billy! Hey, you should've gotten around a half cord of firewood from the cuttings he discarded while carving that beautiful piece! ;)

I love to see a chunk of wood become a work of art. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Reactions: Billybonfire
That is awesome, Billy! Hey, you should've gotten around a half cord of firewood from the cuttings he discarded while carving that beautiful piece! ;)

I love to see a chunk of wood become a work of art. Thanks for sharing that with us!

You're welcome Scotty, thought the folks at hearth.com would like it.

Reactions: ScotO

Most chainsaw carvers prefer softwoods because...well...they're soft. Easier on the chains...the saw...and the carver. My BIL's dad does a lot of carving and tends to seek out large pine trees for carving even though he's probably got a couple hundred acres of hardwoods to choose from.

Billy that carving is amazing and I dig your George Best quote as well.

Thanks Scols, George Best was such a character, always loved that quote :)

Reactions: Thistle
My wife is from Scotland so shes told me all about him. Hes a hero to my BIL!

They dont make sportsmen like that anymore, saw a TV programme about James Hunt and Barry Sheene, some of the stuff those guys got up to was crazy, they sure lived life to the full, made rock stars look tame !.

I think that goes for most athleles. Today its such a big business and theres so much media scrutiny that the guys really have to behave or at least pretend to.

Yeah think you're right, to much money involved nowadays to let them misbehave, but somehow made the old guys more likeable, more human for it.

Billy, my compliments to both you and the artist. That is truly amazing. Thank you for posting those pictures.

Billy, my compliments to both you and the artist. That is truly amazing. Thank you for posting those pictures.

You're welcome Dennis, will hopefully get a picture of the fully finnished article prior to my friend taking it out to the customer.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Wow some people's ability to be creative sure is astonishing. What an amazing piece of work!

That is awesome! I've never seen chainsaw carving like that before.
I'm gonna stick to making my 18-20 inch cylinders & leave the rest to the experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.