more fisher Mother inlaw setup stuff...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
where our stove is now used to be where a giant smoke backthrowing brick fireplace, i tore that out last winter and now have the wood bruner pipe going up through the 16x20 hole left in the wall to the chimney from the brick fireplace. id imagine that heat is just pooring up that into the chimney.
so what i am wondering is what do i cover the hole with. i was thinking just a circular peice of 1/4 steel bolted to the concrete foundation block but then i thought maybe that wouldnt be insulated enough. i would seal it with concrete, but.....our chimney pipe doesnt run all the way up the chimney right now...just angles a foot up it. (i know its not code but money is tight and the chimney sweep(friend) said it would be safe until we had the money to line the whole thing.) meaning that when we have a our chimney cleaned the creosote will fall not just in the pipe but all the way to the bottom of the chimney in the basement. my mom originally just said shove some insulation in there but im about 99.99999999% sure insultation is quite flamable!!!.

any thought would be great...its gonna be cold soon so this will soon be a bigger problem.

thanks, ur all awesome!!!merry christmas

ccb

Merry Xmas to you, but we cannot tell you how to burn down or demolish your home, nor about a stove model that does not exist.

If you can post some pictures, maybe we can direct. My suggestion would be to have the local fire official or building inspector look at things, because the way you describe it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Hey, I was in Zanesville once....

Status
Not open for further replies.