More of the Drying Effect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwill

Hearth Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Southeast KS
I've been burning the last 4 years but just got my new hearthstone last year and had to hold off of burning while my home was remodeled. (Got 2 use it @ 2 months) Anyway, I had my hardwood floor resurfaced and we went with a tung oil finish. Didn't know if anyone had any ideas as to how much drying the stove will do to this as I don't want to find myself remodeling yet again!! It is in the same room as the stove. It didn't cause any problems before but it wasn't a tung oil finish. Any thoughts......???

PS Thanks to everyone on here that comments. I have come here and not asked many ?'s before but have learned much in reading other posts. I don't know much bout wood but feel free to give me any sports medicine ?'s... I may be able to help with those, lol.

btw i run a humidifier if it gets very dry (eye-to-skin calibrated) and a kettle on the stove so that keeps the wife and I from drying out too much just not sure bout the floor.
thanks

My first reaction is that if you have the proper hearth protection, your floor beyond that really shouldn't take much abuse directly from the stove. If you keep the Relative Humidity of the house comfortable. Your floor should be fine as well.

I have carpet beyond the hearth protection, and no noticeable temp difference can be detected there vs. 10 ft away.

Don't worry about it. Just make sure your clearances are sufficient.

Of all the finishes you could have on a floor, tung oil is the most forgiving.

Tung oil is a very robust and durable finish. I use it sometimes when I build furniture. As said above, make sure your floor protection is up to spec and you should be fine. If you're still in doubt, add a little extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.