More winterlike weather on the way for East Coast??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Hints of a possible dose of accumulating snow seem to be looming on the horizon for the Northeast this coming weekend. Long ways away but bears watching. Also hints of the North Atlantic Oscillation, a key player in weather patterns on the East Coast and in Europe, turning negative which tends to bottle up weather systems on the East Coast leading to a cooler and stormier weather pattern. This pattern change may or may not persist for a while but as a weather buff, its the type of stuff that makes for the potential for interesting (read as cold and stormy/snowy) East Coast weather. Hopefully I have enough qualifiers in there with "possibles" and "may or may not" so that no matter what happens I seem correct. :lol: But there is at least a seeming tendancy in the winterlike direction for the end of this month.

I hope the $%&# you're right! I haven't ridden my snowmobiles in two winters.

Sorry my response is a little off topic I'm just getting antsy to put a few miles on this year.

These things are tough to call this time of year especially a week out, however for all the snow geese out there, enjoy.

Attachments

• post-1904-1194887045.gif
    post-1904-1194887045.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 415
MANIAC said:

Sorry my response is a little off topic I'm just getting antsy to put a few miles on this year.
I hear you loud and clear! This does not necessarily portend a truly wintery winter, since the NAO fluctuates back and forth. The official long range forecasts suggest cold fall and spring with a somewhat warmer than normal winter period for much of the east coast, perhaps closer to normal for the northern east coast. Those long range forecasts are by no means etched in stone though they are getting better by the year. But my feeling is, any winter weather we get they can't take away from us. Also, historically it's not likely to have 3 below normal snowfall winter in a row, though GW may be changing that. Lastly, this possibility is what models are "trending" towards, it's for the nearer term only, and it hasn't happened yet, but let's hope!

emory said:
These things are tough to call this time of year especially a week out, however for all the snow geese out there, enjoy.

yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love winter!!!

jpl1nh said:
MANIAC said:

I hear you loud and clear! This does not necessarily portend a truly wintery winter, since the NAO fluctuates back and forth. The official long range forecasts suggest cold fall and spring with a somewhat warmer than normal winter period for much of the east coast, perhaps closer to normal for the northern east coast. Those long range forecasts are by no means etched in stone though they are getting better by the year. But my feeling is, any winter weather we get they can't take away from us. Also, historically it's not likely to have 3 below normal snowfall winter in a row, though GW may be changing that. Lastly, this possibility is what models are "trending" towards, it's for the nearer term only, and it hasn't happened yet, but let's hope!

please let it snow let it snow and give me freezing cold temps

any other weather nuts in here i am loving the fact that people pay attention to the NAO!!
one bad thing though southern can was a little warm i believ e like us on the east coast in sept an oct .. usually when they have cold air early in the season and snow it makes it easier for the cold to come our way when they don't have that ground cover our winters start late

I live in CT and I hope your right about some snow....My sleds are on the trailer purring to be unleashed.But the only problem here is I have to wait till december 16th to ride in VT.I can at least ride around my yard to tease myself if we get enough snow here.CMON Winter.......

Arctic Cat ZL 600 efi

You guys can have all of that stuff. Shirt sleeves on Christmas Day wouldn't break my heart at all. I have been about as entertained by snow and ice in my lifetime as I care to be.

iceman said:
any other weather nuts in here i am loving the fact that people pay attention to the NAO!!
one bad thing though southern can was a little warm i believ e like us on the east coast in sept an oct .. usually when they have cold air early in the season and snow it makes it easier for the cold to come our way when they don't have that ground cover our winters start late
Another bad thing was the arctic was pretty warm this summer...usually when they have good ice cover going into the fall then southern Canada has cold air early in the season and snow and it makes it easier for the cold to come our way.When the Arctic doesn't have that then they don't have that ground cover and our winters start late....and after a while which comes first the Arctic ice pack and GW affecting the NAO or the CO2 affecting the NAO affecting the arctic ice pack and on and on...No wonder there are so many CO2 skeptics. It's so damn complex :coolhmm:

BrotherBart said:
You guys can have all of that stuff. Shirt sleeves on Christmas Day wouldn't break my heart at all. I have been about as entertained by snow and ice in my lifetime as I care to be.
Can I have your Englander if you're done with it?

jpl1nh said:
BrotherBart said:

Didn't say I wouldn't be prepared for it. Just not bummed if it didn't happen. In fact I just bought another generator.

BrotherBart said:
jpl1nh said:
BrotherBart said:

Didn't say I wouldn't be prepared for it. Just not bummed if it didn't happen. In fact I just bought another generator.
Knew it was too good an idea to be true!! %-P

you guys wishing for all this warm weather are going to destroy our planet WE NEED THE COLD
plus i definitely get more action in the winter because we don't have to be on the go all the time

Here in the southern Finger Lakes region we've had a really warm fall, similar to last year, and last year winter didn't really start until the end of Jan. and we never got that much snow. Of course Buffalo and Syracuse got hit hard last year, so who knows.

Now they are forecasting storms 2 WEEKS in advance........................... the 24th!
Wake me up when Rumpelstiltskin is out and about

Sure Rapunzel, right after Rip van Winkie. :)

UGH
I guess that would have been more cogent if I said Rip Van Winkle
What a dough head

Still, its the 13th and that "FOREcast" is for the 24th.................
It could get me out of a ride to Connecticut though ;)

Bring it on, love the snow and the cold.

But according to the El Nino/La Nina looks like there will be an extended period of warmer than usual then it will turn cold (late winter) much like last year.

If you want to read the technical stuff on El Nino/La Nina here you go.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/index.shtml

So I am planning on another year like last year, but know knows.

2 feet of snow this time of year could be catastrophic
Lets remember, IF this happens it wont be that fluffy white stuff. It will be 2 feet of cement that will knock out power, take down trees and close down the infrastructure for a few days.

Bring it on......... a foot at a time please.

What a difference a day makes! Now it seems that the cold front moving through this Thursday is going to spawn a moderate sized storm stealing the weekend storm's thunder so to speak. Unfortunately,cold air will not be in place for this Thursday storm so it looks like a mainly rain event, though far northern and western fringes could get some accumulating snow especially towards the end of the storm. (a bit of a start for northern sled riders) :) Turning colder Friday through the weekend, and still a possability of very light snow Sat night Sunday. Regardless of daily details, the weather pattern for the next couple of weeks in the east coast has a good deal of potential for winter storms and looks to be generally colder than normal with a brief warm up here or there.
But according to the El Nino/La Nina looks like there will be an extended period of warmer than usual then it will turn cold (late winter) much like last year.
If you want to read the technical stuff on El Nino/La Nina here you go.
eba, I agree that this does not change the long range forecast. Indeed the long range for the winter as of early this fall forecast a cooler than normal period at each end of the winter. Time will tell

[quote author=" Indeed the long range for the winter as of early this fall forecast a cooler than normal period at each end of the winter. Time will tell[/quote]

It seems that we have had a shift in the seasons, they are off about a month or so from the "old days".
A planet in distress, or something. Very complex and the spokespeople for all sides have compelling arguments. One thing seems certain our great, great grandchildren will live in a different place. And, perhaps not need to learn how to burn wood. Augh...

Status
Not open for further replies.