Moving forward after incident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all friday night i had a little incident with my stove and flue. I have the begging of a chimney fire. I believe i caught it in time and pit it out before it became a big problem. Anyways. I could tell the chimney could use a cleaning because it wasn't drafting as good a it should and the stove was just kinda running funny. I was only 15 to 20 minutes into a fresh fire so the stove was still getting up to temp. It all happened so fast im not sure if i didnt shut the door all the way or if i left the air open. Either way my wife is now scared of the stove. I like it and enjoy a fire at night. Even after i told her it was mostly my fault that it happened. How can i explain that once everything is inspected and if it passes its safe to use. I tried explaining to her what happened bit honestly im not sure it happened so fast. I checked the flue temp it was at 200 and warming up. I walked away for 5 minutes and came back and the flue temp was at 750

Last edited:
Hello all friday night i had a little incident with my stove and flue. I have the begging of a chimney fire. I believe i caught it in time and pit it out before it became a big problem. Anyways. I could tell the chimney could use a cleaning because it wasn't drafting as good a it should and the stove was just kinda running funny. I was only 15 to 20 minutes into a fresh fire so the stove was still getting up to temp. It all happened so fast im not sure if i didnt shut the door all the way or if i left the air open. Either way my wife is now scared of the stove. I like it and enjoy a fire at night. Even after i told her it was mostly my fault that it happened. How can i explain that once everything is inspected and if it passes its safe to use. I tried explaining to her what happened bit honestly im not sure it happened so fast. I checked the flue temp it was at 200 and warming up. I walked away for 5 minutes and came back and the flue temp was at 750
1. (Promise her to) Never walk away before checking all doors are closed.
2. Give her the assurance of a timer: you'll be reminded to go back and check on the stove in xx minutes.
3. Spend some time together starting the stove, explaining her what is happening, what is going to happen, and thus why you are doing what you are doing. That give a bit of understanding and hopefully confidence that the system is predictable. (And predictably going wrong when wrong decisions are made.)

Reactions: MagdalenaP
I'd have her be there when you have someone come out to clean and inspect it. That way she has an expert on hand so she can ask any questions and verify with them that everything is safe, and that it failed in the first place for well-understood and now-fixed reasons.

Thanks for sharing...Get an electronic flue probe in addition to your pipe magnet. It reads almost instantly......clean at least once a season. If you burn 24/7 clean mid season too... What type of stove? Did you see flames out chimney?

Getting the assurance from the chimney sweep after he cleans and inspects everything is the best assurance she can have that everything is ok and that simply your error was the issue here.

I’ve thought about getting some kind of audible “high temp” alarm for my woodstove. There have been a few times when Ive left the door cracked open, or damper open when the fire is coming up to temp. Most often it happens on a reload when I’ve waited too long and it takes a bit for the fire to get going again.

But speaking of chimney fires, for those that you can’t put out by closing down the air, what type of extinguisher do you keep nearby? One of those Chimfex sticks?

They have a u-tube video about Chimfex sticks maybe let her view this if you think that might work. Woodsplitter--its hard find a new wife---lol lol..clancey

But speaking of chimney fires, for those that you can’t put out by closing down the air, what type of extinguisher do you keep nearby? One of those Chimfex sticks?
ABC fire extinguisher preferably with hose instead of plain short stubby.

Auber AT200 temp alarm.

You can set the auber thermometer to have an audible alarm at a certain temp. I have the surface mount on my liner set to 450 which is about 900 flue temp. Buzzer goes off so I can figure out what’s going on

You can set the auber thermometer to have an audible alarm at a certain temp. I have the surface mount on my liner set to 450 which is about 900 flue temp. Buzzer goes off so I can figure out what’s going on
How do you have it mounted on the liner. Thank you

Thanks for sharing...Get an electronic flue probe in addition to your pipe magnet. It reads almost instantly......clean at least once a season. If you burn 24/7 clean mid season too... What type of stove? Did you see flames out chimney?
No flames just a few sparks comming out. Then when i looked in the stove i could see sparks right by the outlet of the stove to the liner. Once i saw that i let the 20 pound ABC eat

Reactions: MR. GLO
I would suggest getting the flue probe and the magnetic mount for the stt, but with auber you can only select one that reads wifi instantly to the base...i just watch the others temp readings by wifi camera..

Auber also sells non wifi version which can save a buck. The flue probe still works on single wall pipe... just install a screw in the pipe remove screw, insert probe with a 1/4-1/2 spacer (nut), install two magnets one on the underside of flue probe plate and pipe and the other on the outside of plate. Magnets keep it in place. No need to screw it permanently...easy cleaning. Once i got the probe i learned real quick when to start adjusting the stove. It reads much faster. The auber magnetic temp mounts have almost doubled since covid.

Dose it work on a liner
I have both washer and probe. Washer is more versatile as you and put it about anywhere The probe is much faster to respond. I have two. I bough a second for my new insert before it was even installed. My 5 year old know what to do when alarm goes off. Great piece of mind.

Where can I order one from. Thanks
They have a wireless version that you can locate a secondary display (with an alarm). Somewhere else. I have one of each. Wireless is nice but not necessary.

Condar USA Porcelain probe thermometer, I have the same one for the last 25 years works great. yhey also have a full line of magnetic thermometers which I also have one the '' Chimguard '' model.

I could tell the chimney could use a cleaning because it wasn't drafting as good a it should and the stove was just kinda running funny.
Sounds like the flue was starting to plug up...that's usually from wood that is not dry/ready to burn...I'd wanna get some dry wood for Mrs. @Welderman85 ...that would go a long ways to prevent this happening again

I’m looking at the Auber thermometer now. Model AT200chim. Looks like if I get it setup for the single wall pipe I have now, I can change the fitting out next year when I switch to double wall stove pipe.

My uncle had a Chimney fire last year and had to use a bunch of ABC extinguishers to put it out. I think he said he dumped 6 of them in the chimney.
He has some cottages he rents in the summer, and keeps the fire extinguishers on his porch during the winter. Then they get inspected by a company in the spring. He’s lucky he had them all on his porch.

My dad said he was sitting in his chair in the living room, and looks next door to see my uncle on the roof lowering a fire extinguisher down the chimney on a rope. Lol.

Anyways, his fire extinguisher guy said a type K would work well for a chimney fire. I have a couple type ABC in the house, but was just wondering if the Chimfex sticks actually work.

I’m looking at the Auber thermometer now. Model AT200chim. Looks like if I get it setup for the single wall pipe I have now, I can change the fitting out next year when I switch to double wall stove pipe.

My uncle had a Chimney fire last year and had to use a bunch of ABC extinguishers to put it out. I think he said he dumped 6 of them in the chimney.
He has some cottages he rents in the summer, and keeps the fire extinguishers on his porch during the winter. Then they get inspected by a company in the spring. He’s lucky he had them all on his porch.

My dad said he was sitting in his chair in the living room, and looks next door to see my uncle on the roof lowering a fire extinguisher down the chimney on a rope. Lol.

Anyways, his fire extinguisher guy said a type K would work well for a chimney fire. I have a couple type ABC in the house, but was just wondering if the Chimfex sticks actually work.
The double wall probe can be used in a single wall. It just isn’t in the center. I don’t have mine even screwed in

Chimfex can help with small chimney fires but won't put out a big one.

Why was he on the roof at all just empty it into the stove the strong draft will pull it up through really well

Reactions: stoveliker
walked away for 5 minutes and came back and the flue temp was at 750

That fire must have really taken off. One time I got distracted and came back after I heard my magnetic thermometer fall off the flue onto the top of the stove. But I think it was only up to 700 when that happened. I didn't even know heat could demagnetize steel.

My wife basically said, "Hey dummy pay better attention next time." I may have to look into these audible temp alarms. In these years of permanent WFH and Zoom meetings, I have to start up a fire and then get on a Zoom meeting. I will tell my wife, "Hey, watch the fire, I have to get on a meeting.". And even with my headphones on I can hear the fire rumbling out of control from my office, so I run out to close the damper and babysit the flue temp. In reality, nobody should leave the fire unattended until it is at the right temperature and under control.