Moving forward after incident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
clean the flue and get it inspected, and find a new wife
That fire must have really taken off. One time I got distracted and came back after I heard my magnetic thermometer fall off the flue onto the top of the stove. But I think it was only up to 700 when that happened. I didn't even know heat could demagnetize steel.

My wife basically said, "Hey dummy pay better attention next time." I may have to look into these audible temp alarms. In these years of permanent WFH and Zoom meetings, I have to start up a fire and then get on a Zoom meeting. I will tell my wife, "Hey, watch the fire, I have to get on a meeting.". And even with my headphones on I can hear the fire rumbling out of control from my office, so I run out to close the damper and babysit the flue temp. In reality, nobody should leave the fire unattended until it is at the right temperature and under control.
Steel goes paramagnetic at 1400 F (-ish)...

I have no clue why he was on the roof. For some reason he either couldn’t put it out from downstairs, or maybe wanted to make sure it was really out.

He had a bad setup before. He has a small stove and it ran into a 8x12 (something around that size) masonry chimney. The chimney was way too big for the stove. Anyways I think he said he cleaned the chimney but didn’t take the stove pipe apart, and the fire started in the horizontal part of the stove pipe and the thimble going into the chimney.
He was having issues getting the fire out, and some of those extinguishers were sprayed onto the stove pipe because it was glowing. I guess he was worried about the wall catching on fire (not enough distance to combustibles).

The experience scared the crap out of him and after that he got the appropriate sized chimney liner for the stove.

That fire must have really taken off. One time I got distracted and came back after I heard my magnetic thermometer fall off the flue onto the top of the stove. But I think it was only up to 700 when that happened. I didn't even know heat could demagnetize steel.

My wife basically said, "Hey dummy pay better attention next time." I may have to look into these audible temp alarms. In these years of permanent WFH and Zoom meetings, I have to start up a fire and then get on a Zoom meeting. I will tell my wife, "Hey, watch the fire, I have to get on a meeting.". And even with my headphones on I can hear the fire rumbling out of control from my office, so I run out to close the damper and babysit the flue temp. In reality, nobody should leave the fire unattended until it is at the right temperature and under control.
Typically magnets don't fall off untill 850 or 900