Must be doing something wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
So I'm finally getting around to starting up my new stove, it is the big Madison SSW02. I just installed my new chimney 15' of 6" triple with about 2' of vertical single wall inside. I will say this is the 2nd chimney I have installed and the 1st stove install works great no issues and is on the shorter side (12'). Now I go to light the new stove to do the break in burns. Does nothing but smoke I lit it just like I do my little defender so I'm not sure if this stove is just finicky or what. I installed the chimney pipe per manufacturers specs this one is ran outside via a wall thimble. I'm getting good draft I can put a smoking piece of wood in front of the wall thimble and watch the smoke get sucked into the chimney so I don't think it is a draft issue, maybe it is but I'm at a loss. I will say the chimney has a total of 2 90* angles one at the thimble and (2) 45* from the stove to the wall but just putting my hand in front of the wall thimble you can feel the air being pulled up the chimney. The cap is fit correctly just not sure what is going on. I'm going to look at the stove tonight see if there is something obstructing the stove flue but I thought it was all clear when I checked last time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm just baffled this isn't working as it should. Outside temps were 38*

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Are you saying you can feel the draft where the stove pipe joins? If I’m not mistaken that’s part of your problem. I’m pretty sure you need to seal the pipe sections so that you don’t feel the draft at the joints. That’s like trying to drink through a straw with holes in it. I pretty sure the experienced members will correct me if I’m wrong. What does the owners manual say about minimum pipe length? Those elbows will slow it down as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really dumb question, was the air intake on the stove all the way open? pulled all the way out is closed pushed all the way in is open.

You need to verify the pathways are clear and the stove/baffle is in assembled correctly. what is coming out of the chimney while it's running. And just in case, this isn't smoke burning off the stove or pipe or anything? I assumed not as you said it's not your first install. Try opening a nearby window or exterior door and see if that eliminates the smoke spillage

Are you saying you can feel the draft where the stove pipe joins? If I’m not mistaken that’s part of your problem. I’m pretty sure you need to seal the pipe sections so that you don’t feel the draft at the joints. That’s like trying to drink through a straw with holes in it. I pretty sure the experienced members will correct me if I’m wrong. What does the owners manual say about minimum pipe length? Those elbows will slow it down as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No I pulled the pipes apart and checked draft I had to point the pipe towards the fan I had pulling the smoke out the window so Ididn't fill the house with smoke . I had smoke coming out the secondary once it went out.

really dumb question, was the air intake on the stove all the way open? pulled all the way out is closed pushed all the way in is open.
Yeah it was open all the way. Also checked the air intake for the dog house to make sure it was unobstructed before starting the fire.

You need to verify the pathways are clear and the stove/baffle is in assembled correctly. what is coming out of the chimney while it's running. And just in case, this isn't smoke burning off the stove or pipe or anything? I assumed not as you said it's not your first install. Try opening a nearby window or exterior door and see if that eliminates the smoke spillage
No smoke entering the chimney from what I could tell I think something is out of whack in the stove itself. I did have to tip it around a little to move it back to get the pipe connected I might have moved something around inside not knowing. The smoke was actually coming out of the stove. I could see the doghouse pushing a little air into the embers but nothing seemed to be going up the chimney. I took my torch to the outside of the single wall to add a little heat to see if that would help and it didn't do much of anything.

Some one can correct me if wrong but I believe on the Madison draft control all the way in = full air and all the way out = little air. Seems opposite from what we are used to. Maybe double check the manual.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Some one can correct me if wrong but I believe on the Madison draft control all the way in = full air and all the way out = little air. Seems opposite from what we are used to. Maybe double check the manual.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk
Open is all the way in "Burn more quickly and put out a larger amount of heat over a relatively shorter time period."

I am not familiar with your stove. However. While tipping/moving the stove is there any chance the baffle may have slid towards the front, blocking the smoke passage? Longshot. Not even sure your baffle is the movable style.

Reactions: begreen
I am not familiar with your stove. However. While tipping/moving the stove is there any chance the baffle may have slid towards the front, blocking the smoke passage? Longshot. Not even sure your baffle is the movable style.
You might be onto something, It is a moveable baffle. I will check it tonight after work I think you might be right.

Good news re routed the single wall stove pipe and she is doing great. A little burp of smoke into the hose but with 60* temp outside it's expected. I still have 1 more 3' piece of triple wall I can add if I need to but don't think it will be necessary. The baffle wad a little forwards but not blocking anything. Thanks for the help guys, I have one more break in burn and she will be ready to motor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Usually if the baffle slides forward it just opens up the back of the stove. Sort of bypasses the baffle. It would usually help not hinder airflow.

Good to hear it's burning for you!

Usually if the baffle slides forward it just opens up the back of the stove. Sort of bypasses the baffle. It would usually help not hinder airflow.

Good to hear it's burning for you!
Yeah there is enough play that it would just open a hole at the back. I will say she was hard to start at first but once I got her going she ran pretty good. The small kindling fire they wanted for break in barely go the stove to 100* so I had to let that die out then add a couple small splits once I got them going she ran pretty good, Going to do my last break in fire tonight then she will be ready to rock. This stove puts out some nice heat even when it's only 300*.

Thanks, again guys.

Reactions: Squisher