my floor is getting HOT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
My floor pad sits on a wood floor and the wood floor around the pad gets up to 130 deg. at peek burn. Its usually around 100 - 115. What is an acceptable temp.
Thanks

The benchmark temperature, which determines safe clearances, is typically 115 degrees F over the ambient room temperature. In other words, if the ambient room temperature is 70F, the benchmark wall temperature cannot exceed 185F. If temperatures exceed 185F, the stove must be located further away from the wall.

-or floor

offroadaudio said:
The benchmark temperature, which determines safe clearances, is typically 115 degrees F over the ambient room temperature. In other words, if the ambient room temperature is 70F, the benchmark wall temperature cannot exceed 185F. If temperatures exceed 185F, the stove must be located further away from the wall.

-or floor

thought i just said that

burn it said:
My floor pad sits on a wood floor and the wood floor around the pad gets up to 130 deg. at peek burn. Its usually around 100 - 115. What is an acceptable temp.
Thanks

Better rule of thumb: If you think the floor is too hot, it is. Fix it!

yooperdave said:
offroadaudio said:

-or floor

thought i just said that

you did - you just got to the submit post button before I finished typing - it's ok.

I cant find the article in your link. Is that what the article says, 115 over the room temp?

yooperdave said:
offroadaudio said:

-or floor

thought i just said that

I went to the link you provided, but didn't see any discussion of clearances.

DanCorcoran said:
yooperdave said:
offroadaudio said:

-or floor

thought i just said that

I went to the link you provided, but didn't see any discussion of clearances.

The benchmark temperature, which determines safe clearances, is typically 115 degrees F over the ambient room temperature. In other words, if the ambient room temperature is 70F, the benchmark wall temperature cannot exceed 185F. If temperatures exceed 185F, the stove must be located further away from the wall. That is why movable walls on tracks are used. If the temperatures exceed 185F, the walls are moved back until the temperatures recorded are less than 185F. In a nutshell, the stove is run through the complete test, the temperatures are recorded, and safe clearances are established.

sorry about the confusion....i should have posted it this way the very first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.