My New Stove is in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

citizanken

Oct 19, 2006
Smithsburg, Maryland
The installers just left, and I think they did a pretty good job. The inspector is due in on Monday. :)

Rhon, I took your advice and had them switch the door and install it with the stove pulled out as much as possible. I got a good look at those air channels you were talking about.

I'll post some pictures of my wood pile, and such on the pictures forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 635
Corie said:
In the words of Roospike:

"FIRE IT UP"

I would but unfortunately its like 70 degrees here today. :-/ I may do a small break in fire later tonight though. It is supposed to go down in the 40's tonight.

That is one nice looking stove and installation.

Enjoy!

Wow, it's weird seeing someone with the same thing. Like, seeing someone with the same car.

It looks like the surround is a little low, looks to be slightly blocking the heat channels. On the bottom of each leg of the surround is a levelling bolt. Simply unscrew it until the surround lifts up enough to line up with the tops of the two channels the heat comes out. If you want to take the surround off (it's probably 40-50 lbs) to do it simple lift it up and away. I know you probably can't waite... don't be surprised if the glass gets covered in black during the burn in procedure. Water and smoke cause dirty glass, and you'll be surprised how much water is going to come out of the soapstone during break-in. When you start burning some nice hot fires you shouldn't have a problem.

I will do that on the surround. I see what you mean.

Thank you for all your advice. and your right, I cant wait to fire it up :)

Corie said:
nice nice. these first few have to be little itseey bitsey ones, right?

Not at my house. Cast or steel ya crank the sucker.

But do not try this at home.

Corie said:
yeah my stove was at 450 its first night. ain't real smart, but it is brave.

I got a sharper "brank" sound out of this one around five hundred than I have ever heard from one. I examined the outside welds and nothing had let go and the fire didn't kick up. Tomorrow I will stick my head in it and take a look at the brick retainers.

Hope I don't get to test that five year warranty on the welds.

Ahhhhhhh. Congrats!

Corie said:
nice nice. these first few have to be little itseey bitsey ones, right?

Yes this one was a little one, and you would not believe the moisture that "weeped" out of the stone. I have one more small one scheduled tonight, maybe one more on Saturday to be safe, and then by the looks of the weather report, I should be able to get an inferno going Sunday!

And, remember to do that each fall. This fall when I started the break-in procedure I wasn't expecting the soapstone to weep again, I'd used it 24/7 last winter but, it wept.

Rhonemas said:
And, remember to do that each fall. This fall when I started the break-in procedure I wasn't expecting the soapstone to weep again, I'd used it 24/7 last winter but, it wept.

I hate to see a grown stove cry.

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:
yeah my stove was at 450 its first night. ain't real smart, but it is brave.

I got a sharper "brank" sound out of this one around five hundred than I have ever heard from one. I examined the outside welds and nothing had let go and the fire didn't kick up. Tomorrow I will stick my head in it and take a look at the brick retainers.

Hope I don't get to test that five year warranty on the welds.

One of the few things I like about my steel Regency was the noises it made. Depending on the creaking noise it put out, It was easy to determine whether it was heating up, or cooling down! Could here it at the other end of the house!

Decreasing frequency, cooling, increasing frequency...getting hot. No creaks, just right. Not the interval between creaks, but the frequency of the creak itself!

Let me down one time though, the top of the stove was cherry red, and half the stovepipe to the ceiling. No creaks. Damn pine.

Damn tough stove she was.

Status
Not open for further replies.