My obsevations of my new modified M55 Convection fan...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
With the temp in the upper 40's and with my "modified" version of the new M55 confection blower installed but untested by my dealer (lol), I had to make sure it worked OK and report on the noise level....good and bad! First the bad news. Fan 4 and 5 are unacceptable noise wise. It sounds like I am running a large room AC without the compressor on. Forget talking/listning or listning to TV...No way!!! Now the good news! If it's 20-30 below zero and the house is cold, these two settings may come in handy as they will push a TON of hot air very quickly. This will work OK when the wife is not home and I need heat fast! What I call the default fan setting of 3 is still louder than with the old fan BUT again pushes considerably more air. I will have to see if my wife objects. I tkink my new fan setting for most of the time will be on level 2 as it pushes more air than the old #3 and is about the same in sound. Even fan 1 pushes quite a bit of air. I only had the stove on for less than two hours, but there was zero heat build up around the top control panel. I don't think there will be any overheating using the hot Vermont pellets this year! Thanks, Bill

I find that stove to be just so big, once you have achieved warmth, the thing maintains quite well on 1 or 2. More good news. the replacement fans are better quality too. It seems to me that the easier fix for them would have been to leave the old fan, especially being more expensive, and just relocate the darn switch that is tripping. Yeah, they would have to UL the stove again but that is a once time cost, these fans are not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.