my summit making funny noises what could it be

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
the thermometer is at 550 but i keep hearing that clicking noise so i thought it was the stove expanding or whatever ... its my door! or the glass i realized it when i opened the stove the clicking noise moved and sure enough its my door or the glass is that normal? i tried the dollar bill test the other day and i did get a snug fit around most of it when i tried to tighten it i could barely close the door and could still pull the dollar out
has anyone had the "cracklin door"

iceman said:
the thermometer is at 550 but i keep hearing that clicking noise so i thought it was the stove expanding or whatever ... its my door! or the glass i realized it when i opened the stove the clicking noise moved and sure enough its my door or the glass is that normal? i tried the dollar bill test the other day and i did get a snug fit around most of it when i tried to tighten it i could barely close the door and could still pull the dollar out
has anyone had the "cracklin door"

clicking likely the bimetallic coil used to automatically adjust the EBT damper

It's normal to hear some clicking due to expansion.

Pm's in your box. I see Willhound beat me to it though.

Hogwildz said:
Pm's in your box. I see Willhound beat me to it though.
SHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHshshshshshshshshshshshsh!!!!!!!! Give hime your phone # Just incase the moderators even find out there is a Summit issue. Dont wana tarnish that record. :bug: :p

iceman, I think you need to take the Buds out of the stove before lighting.

you guys are funny!!!! lol but it IS my door i can hear it this morning when i open it something on the door is expanding it sounds like its the metal piece that goes around the glass

Could be. If the glass was pinching somewhere in the frame, it might be causing some noise as the metal expands and contracts. Is the glass dirty? Can you move it at all in the frame. (No, mine doesn't)
If you're really concerned, and depending on your relationship with your dealer/installer, get them to drop by and check it out. Not likely, but possible I suppose that the glass isn't fitting quite right. Another, more radical approach, is that if you can find anothe local Summit owner that will let you trade doors (maybe dealer?) for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

Could be you've got your door adjusted TOO tight. The knife edge around the perimeter of the door opening on your stove is slightly curved outward across the top, so the door flexes slightly when you engage the handle, helping make a good seal. Up to a certain point, the tighter you adjust the door catch, the more the door will flex.

The ceramic glass doesn't flex, so if you overtighten the door catch, you can create tension between the door and the glass.

As the stove heats and cools, the three components of the door (cast iron door, glass, and the mild steel inner frame that holds the glass in place) all expand and contract at different rates. The assembly is designed to allow for this, creating a not-too-tight interface between the glass, inner frame and door, with flexible "glass gasket" to create an air seal between them. If the cast iron outer frame is flexed so far it creates tension against the glass, the varying expansion and contraction of the dissimilar materials could be causing the sound you hear.

If yours is a newer Summit, which has a black, 7/8" gasket, you don't need to tighten the door catch until you can't pull out the dollar bill. This is a low-compression gasket, designed to create a maximum seal with a minimum amount of pressure. A dollar bill should be held in place by the closed door, but not tightly pinched, as would be the case with the high-compression gasket PE used until recently (the new gasket is impregnated with graphite, which makes the seal at low pressure).

Try this: take the handle of a crescent wrench and pry the door catch open just a tad, and I'll bet the problem goes away.

thechimneysweep said:
Could be you've got your door adjusted TOO tight. The knife edge around the perimeter of the door opening on your stove is slightly curved outward across the top, so the door flexes slightly when you engage the handle, helping make a good seal. Up to a certain point, the tighter you adjust the door catch, the more the door will flex.

The ceramic glass doesn't flex, so if you overtighten the door catch, you can create tension between the door and the glass.

As the stove heats and cools, the three components of the door (cast iron door, glass, and the mild steel inner frame that holds the glass in place) all expand and contract at different rates. The assembly is designed to allow for this, creating a not-too-tight interface between the glass, inner frame and door, with flexible "glass gasket" to create an air seal between them. If the cast iron outer frame is flexed so far it creates tension against the glass, the varying expansion and contraction of the dissimilar materials could be causing the sound you hear.

If yours is a newer Summit, which has a black, 7/8" gasket, you don't need to tighten the door catch until you can't pull out the dollar bill. This is a low-compression gasket, designed to create a maximum seal with a minimum amount of pressure. A dollar bill should be held in place by the closed door, but not tightly pinched, as would be the case with the high-compression gasket PE used until recently (the new gasket is impregnated with graphite, which makes the seal at low pressure).

Try this: take the handle of a crescent wrench and pry the door catch open just a tad, and I'll bet the problem goes away.

you are INCREDIBLE wow what a explanation!! and you seem to know the stove better than PE .. you explained everything to a tee i am very impressed and thank you because i was starting to worry my glass was gonna blow!
HOG pm'd me and told me not to worry his did it too and i see another post as well but thanks for the explanation I feel MUCH better!

thechimneysweep said:

i have been to your site many times ... could you give me your PERSONAL opinion of which stoves you like the best in a 1/2/3 order just curious and also which one do you burn?

I think that is also the sound a stove makes prior to splitting down the middle. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
I think that is also the sound a stove makes prior to splitting down the middle. :coolgrin:

i am hearing "luke come to the dark side" from you now...
you must be burning something else besides the pe......
lol

Favorite is a tough call, as different models work better in different situations. After 27 years in the industry, we've narrowed it down to Hearthstone, PE and Kent, which is a combination of lines that allows us to satisfy nearly anybody's needs with a model that does exactly what it's supposed to do and doesn't break. I get a stomach ache when a customer's stove doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

I burn a Pacific Spectrum at home, have had it for 15 years. It meets my need for a convection-style heater with close wall clearances, matches my wife's decor, holds a fire for ten hours every day while I'm at work, and doesn't break.

In a different house, where radiant heat made sense, I might easily opt for a Hearthstone.

By the way, I'm not surprised that Hog's door ticks too. Evidently a man of tremendous upper body strength, he is able to force his door closed on a self-installed replacement gasket cut from a moorage line for the Queen Mary. Gets a darn good seal, but has to rest for awhile every time he adds a split.

thechimneysweep said:
By the way, I'm not surprised that Hog's door ticks too. Evidently a man of tremendous upper body strength, he is able to force his door closed on a self-installed replacement gasket cut from a moorage line for the Queen Mary. Gets a darn good seal, but has to rest for awhile every time he adds a split.

LMFAO HAHAHAHA
Actually it was almost like that when I first put that 1" sucka on there. Its knife edged in real nice now and closes just as it did when I got the insert new. The indentation is almost 1/2" on the hinge side LOL. That puppy ain't going to leak for quite a while. ANyone need gaskets? I have 2-5/8"ers, & a 3/4"er. When I do finally need a new gasket I'll drop back down to the 7/8".

Iceman
You've gotten it right from the man that knows. As you point out, Tom likely has more experience with PE than some of the factory guys, because he deals with the end users on a daily basis. Can't beat that on the ground experience.
Let us know if his advice works. He very adeptly explained what I was trying to get at in my PM about trying to get a consistent pressure all the way around the door gasket.
I didn't know about the new graphite gasket though. When mine needs changing (I'll probabley do it next year regardless) I'll have to take a look at that.

Tom, do you know if they will retrofit an older model, or has the door lip design changed too?
==================================================================================

you are INCREDIBLE wow what a explanation!! and you seem to know the stove better than PE .. you explained everything to a tee i am very impressed and thank you because i was starting to worry my glass was gonna blow!
HOG pm'd me and told me not to worry his did it too and i see another post as well but thanks for the explanation I feel MUCH better![/quote]

Hey Willhound,

Been awhile, nice to see you back on the forum. Depending on the age of your stove, you've probably got a 1/2" channel with 5/8" high compression gasket. PE has since changed their door, incorporating a 7/8" channel for low compression gasket. The new gasket is kind of oval shaped, like round gasked that has been pre-smushed. When it comes time to replace your gasket, talk to Hog: he's got several miles of various sizes acquired while his dumbbutt supplier (me) struggled to find the size that fits the new door. PE also offers low compression gasket to fit the smaller channel, if you want to give that a try.

Thanks Tom, glad to be back. OK, when I need (whenever that might be) to change it out, I'll check to see if the new style fits. Can't measure right now since the insert hasn't been cold for about 3 weeks now. Going to have to give it a break for a day or so soon so I can empty the ashes. How I wish P.E. could figure out an option for an ash pan in the inserts, even if it meant a higher profile. I would have room in my opening. I had to use the larger surround, only because of the height.

I thought this pe stove was to wipe your a-- why all the problems. :lol:

budman said:
I thought this pe stove was to wipe your a-- why all the problems. :lol:

no problems just wanted to keep the others talking about something....lol

It is what it is. Reality is reality. WHooooaaahh. Way to deep for a Sunday afternoon in front of the Summit watchin' Buffalo beat Miami.
Anyway, pound for pound, I'd put my Summit against anything out there. But reality is that any mechanical device will at some time require some service or fixin'. And, sooner or later, somebody on a manufacturing line somewhere has a bad day.

Ya know, one thing I would be interested in seeing though is the percentage of P.E. owners that need/try to collect on the lifetime warranty. And if any are actually manufacturing issues, vs. overfiring and abuse.

With just about any product, I wish that consumer protection laws stated that any manufacturer would have to publish their warranty rates and what the most common complaints were. I'd bet that eventually it would lead to better design and better products for everything from toasters to T.V.'s. And stoves.

Ok, gotta stop now. Way too much thinking for a Sunday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.