1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My wife says you guys

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by fabsroman, Sep 18, 2011.

1. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    You'll have to note the "probably" in that statement. So, it turns out that you have c/s/s 20 cords for several years.

Didn't know you were doing this professionally. If that is the case, then I would expect you to c/s/s WAY more than 20 cords a year. I would almost expect that on a monthly basis. Around here a cord of hardwood runs $220. At 20 cords, you would only be making $4,400. A little tough to eat making just that. I would have to do about 230 cords a year just to justify doing this for a living part time and at 230 cords a year it would seem like a full time job. Honestly, I have no idea how anybody can make decent money selling firewood unless they really have the machinery set up to process it quickly and a ready supply of wood delivered to their place of business.

Guess my statement should have been "The difference between you and I is that you probably do this for a living and for charity".

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    No fabs, I'm no pro by any means nor do I depend upon wood sales for income. I'm past that point. Now I cut to supply our needs and do a bit more to help others and a few sales. Some years I cut a lot and some years not much. I've even had a few when I could not cut. But most years I do cut a whole lot more than we burn, which is only 3 cord.
  3. fabsroman

Loc:
    After the last 45 days and all the wood cutting, splitting, and hauling I have been doing, I am actually sitting here hoping that I don't have to do it again for a couple more years. Thing is, I know that in another month or two, once all these piles are nicely stacked and we are actually burning this year's wood, I will be right back at it.

A couple of weeks ago I contemplated selling wood to buy a new shotgun or new bike frame, but today I decided against it. Who knows, maybe I'll decide to sell some once I figure out how much I have and about how much we will actually be burning a year. For me to give it away, the person would have to be a pretty good friend and pretty down on his/her luck. They would also have to help in the splitting and stacking of it.

Off on a tangent, I stopped to chat with one of my neighbors at her mailbox yesterday and she and her husband think I have 10 years worth of wood right now. I seriously doubt it, but it would be nice. Wonder what they are thinking now since I added about 3 cords to the pile after that chat? LOL
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I know what you mean. This year I bought a new rifle and a new bike too. Rode that bike 27 miles today too.
  5. fabsroman

Loc:
    I haven't ridden in a month. Between work and wood, I just have not had time. The really sad thing is that I have a riding buddy in the neighborhood and I saw him ride down the street over the weekend while I was throwing wood out of the truck. Then, today as I am unloading more wood he is riding home and decides to pull into the driveway for a chat. If I had to pick, I would pick riding over wood, but it would suck to have the family cold over the winter. So, the priority is wood and then riding. I'll make it up once this wood gets stacked.

Don't even get me started about rifles. I bought an AR-15 lower and an AR-10 lower two years ago and have not had the time to build them up. Should have bought the entire gun, but my cheap self was thinking about the money I could save building them myself and the avoidance of most of the excise tax on them.
  6. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Yes I was replying to your original post.

You've gone and taken my reply far too seriously though. I should have used a smily.

Apologies abound!
  7. fabsroman

Loc:
    I suck at humor over the internet. I get it pretty good in person, and have people laughing pretty good in person. However, over the internet my humor detector and skills are terrible. Sorry.