1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My Woodstove...Not a Russo

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Verynycegirl, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verynycegirl

Verynycegirl New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Hello,

Okay, we thought my woodstove was a Russo, but with the advice of elkimmeg I was able to find the manufactures plate. This is the info from the plate. SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO Model # 587841420 Date Tested 06/18/80 Fuel Approved Wood & Coal
    LABEL SER. NO. 175

So it looks like my stove is a little older then we thought! How do I find out if my woodstove is EPA approved? Elkimmeg suggested I post here the info I could find, so you all could give me advice. He also said to explain how my stove is set up and vented but I'm not sure just how it is vented but I took a picture. Hopefully that will make it easier. This will be my 2nd winter using the stove. Last year I used it more for pleasure, this year I will need it to be my primary source of heat. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Tracy

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Looks like it was some kind of "private label" that Sears had made for them.....heck, it's tested at least!

The style looks more like a coal unit, which can also burn wood. All the normal stuff applies here, like you would be much happier burning wood in a nice new unit with clean glass, etc.

One piece of good news is that coal stoves are also in short supply...maybe you can get a good buck for this out of some gent that wants to use hard coal.
  3. Verynycegirl

Verynycegirl New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Frank,

If it does not meet EPA approval, what are my concerns?? Is it safety or efficiency problems??

Tracy
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Please explain the room size the stove is in and does it open up to adjacent rooms. Wondering how well the stove will heat your home? please explain your floor plan layout? From the picture, I noticed a black spot above the loading door. Is the door gasketed?

Epa approval, which your stove is not, is a set of guidelines the EPA clean air acts adopted in 1990 All stoves manufactured after 1990 had to meet 63% effeciency and had a maxium grams of polutants emitted. They burn cleaner, more effecient, using less wood, delivering more heat to the living space.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    For a primary heating appliance I would ask Santa to do you a very nice favor and get a new stove. I suspect it will pay itself off quickly in providing you with more warmth, safety, lower wood consumption and better looks.
  6. Verynycegirl

Verynycegirl New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    It's in my livingroom. My livingroom and dining room are actually one big open room. I'm REALLY bad with size. My house is a very open type floorplan. The livingroom & diningroom are one room which opens to the kitchen, there are no walls between them. There is a sunroom off my diningroom which I have a hardtime getting very warm so we just keep the doors closed during the winter for the most part. My bedroom & bathroom is off the livingroom and is the only room that tends to be cool downstairs. Upstairs there are two bedrooms, a landing area that my kids use for a TV area and a bathroom.There is an opening in my livingroom that helps the heat to get upstairs. I'll take a picture to make it easier for you to understand what I mean. If I recall correctly, I think the house is 1800 sq ft. Also I have cathedral type celings in my livingroom.

I'm not sure about the door gasket?? How can I tell if it is??

Thanks,
    Tracy

Attached Files:

7. Verynycegirl

Verynycegirl New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Elkimmeg,

I found a picture of my floorpan. I personally am not sure how to read it but maybe you know how....

Tracy

Attached Files:

8. Verynycegirl

Verynycegirl New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I think the sunroom may have been added on after this was done.

Tracy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.