Napolean 1100 reviews

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
What do people think of their Napolean 1100..?? Mine seems to run ok,..it can be hard to get going sometimes... but it burns even and quite long..
I am burning dry Lodgepole, wish I had more Fir. I bet Oak would be the bomb in this thing. Any tricks from veteran users..??

Hi, I have the 1401, the older big brother to the 1100. Both have the same firebox, just the 1100 is a bit smaller. I think the 1100 is not as deep, I think your max log length is 16", while the 1401 is 18.

Always load north/south, that is, load so the end grain faces the door. When you load the firebox, make sure you always leave a vertical pathway in the center for flames to pass from the coalbed up to the secondary manifold at the top. Sometimes when you load the wood, it tends to flop over and close up with airway, so it helps to put a short stick in there vertically to hold this gap open. If you don't have this gap in the middle, then flames will get stuck under the pile of wood and it will take much longer to kick of the secondary.

I actually pack the wood as tightly as possible on the right and left sides with this gap in the middle. This way the fire burns from the center and top down to the lower corners and it seems that it should extend the burn time.

Also check to make sure that the refractory panels at the top are always slid as far back as they will go. Sometimes they work their way forward and will begin to restrict the flow and you'll get smoke out of the door when you open it, or the fire just won't burn right. I just have the habit of pushing on the front edge when I'm cleaning out ash.

I have the 1100C I've been happy; second year burning. Small firebox makes it tough to get a long overnight burn but it is nice in the fact it don't take as long to heat up and get a clean burn. Make sure your push the baffles back once in a while, they tend to creep forward which decreases the burn (smolders) and causes lots of smoke. So far I have no complaints for the product itself, I wish I would have gotten a little larger firebox though.

there are small notches at the front end of the upper burn tube that line up exactly with the end of the upper baffles when they are in the correct position.
Your supposed to put a bolt in them. I made some little metal brackets that hold back the baffles and I held them in place with a bolt thru those slots.
One thing I would like is a flat top without the trim pieces so I could cook flatbread on the top. Not sure though if it would even get hot enough.
By the way, what is the name of that 5000$ cook woodstove with the stainless cookport on top that is supposed to work so good??

Status
Not open for further replies.