Napoleon 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatCityIAFF

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2011
Western CT
Hey guys. Well I'm on about my 4th burn with my napoleon. I have a few quick questions. When I start a fire when I get home from work, my thermometer says the box is a round 200. I'll throw a couple logs on hot coals, and the thing will take off. I'll shut the door, and the primaries will be going good. Maybe 10-15 minutes into it. The fan will then kick on, the thermometer will read 250, and the baffles up top will have a slight glow to them. Too hot? It seems to me that the inside of the box gets hot very fast, but i'm only seeing temps around 300. I've attached a video of it. The first video, the fire has only been burning for at 15 minutes, and the damper has been fully closed for about 5 minutes. The second video is about 40 minutes into the fire, damper has been fully closed the whole time, and the baffles are still glowing.

When I got home yesterday, I loaded her up good, and choked her all the way down. The wood had been seasoned for about 3 years, wicked dry, but there small splits I got for free. I was about to put 11 splits in. Thats how small they are. But I was able to get the stove top up to 550ish for around a hr, but the baffles were glowing the whole time, and the stove top temp was decreasing? mind you the draft was fully closed. I let those logs burn down to hot ash, took about 4 hrs. At this point, the stove top read 250. I loaded her up for the night, and right when I put the logs in, they started, and the secondaries kicked in, and the baffles started to glow again. It seems to me like the stove is either wicked hot in the inside, or cold. no in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zX1J9__iw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYleRtzsFXw

That fire looked plenty hot enough. If you can mix in some bigger splits you should be able to extend your burn time.

I suspect the low reading may be the outer jacket temp or it is being affected by the blower. Try moving the thermometer to the front of the stove, just to the upper left corner past the door and see what it reads there.

so the glowing you can kinda see up on the baffles by the secondaries is ok?

That thing hasnt started to glow yet. This is my fifth season with the Napoleon and had temp of 750 800. There called run aways and not much u can do about them. Its called dont load the stove with temp above 350 Or you'll see it glow . Dont worry the EPA has full control of this simple fire box (It safe)You have your thermometer in the same spot as me but the down fall is with two fans blowing Im not sure what to read. Ill kill the fans and let the box heat back up and to get the right reading then turn them back on. Its hard to get the right reading there. you could try the door but after a while youll get tiered of bending over to see the temps youll get the hang of it. If your looking to have better control of your heat try burning w/e instead of s/n The air wash on that insert comes from the front to the back and burn much hotter and quicker when you load it N/S Try it If this is your 4th burn you have many more burns to go. Keep askin Q youl get the hang of it before you now it. This stove only has one control compared to other with two. If Im lookin to keep the box hotter with the fans running ill load it up N/S But if Im lookin for a longer burn ill load W/E and Ill turn the fan down a bit to keep the box hotter . It all a big guessing game On outside temp and temps in side. Have fun with that Napoleon It been a great stove . I can still remember when My stove looked new .. WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.