Napoleon NZ6000, NZ3000, NZ26 Opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyd

Hearth Supporter
Jun 15, 2009
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum here and have had a quick review of some of the threads - seems like this is the right place to be for everthing FP related !

I am looking to replace my current fireplace (Superior BR-36) which is primarily for looks only (installed by previous owner) and wanted to get some opinions on the Napoleon's units. Doubtful I would go with the NZ6000 as I here this unit is a monster and loves to eat wood ... and small children - j/k.

Specifically I am interested in the NZ3000 or NZ26 ZC unit - pro's and con's of each. We have about 2000 sq/ft to heat however it's about 3200 complete with a lower section - not used much for winter. Not sure if the current ZC install would preclude me from going with the 3000 and thus my decision is pretty much made .... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 27Fireplace.jpg
    27Fireplace.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,157
I have the NZ6000. It is a large unit. Looks fantastic and puts out a lot of heat. Can heat an entire 3000sf. The NZ3000 is smaller and sorta looks oddly out of proportion to me. (kinda too tall for its width) but thats just my opinion. THe 6000 uses a lot of wood if your burning it on high pumping out all the heat you need. If you don't need all that heat you can burn much less wood once the box is hot. The blower is great. Quiet and powerful. There are some problems though. The glass does get dirty no matter how hot you burn. The hotter and dryer the wood the better but you can never really burn it off. Initially the door hinges would sag due to the heavy weight of the doors but the factory rebuilt the faceplate and there is a fix for this problem. I am currently waiting for my free ugraded faceplate to be shipped to my dealer. I am hoping this fix will really work.
I would buy the 6000 again even with these noted comments. Its really a great looker and very effective at putting out heat. If I didn't care about looks a better option would be a wood stove with 360 degree radiant surface heat.

We are also looking at big units (4600 sq ft, albeit in Northern California Foothills), and the NZ6000 will unlikely qualify for the $1,500 tax credit. That is why it didn't make short list. The Delta 2, 7100fp, and likely (I find out next week) the Lennox (BIS) Montecito Estate, will all qualify for the tax credit.

Well it sure is a gorgeous unit. I like the massive, sturdy box. The NZ3000, which I know is a different category, may qualify for the tax credit.
Regards, George

George
Here is the only advice I can give you about Napoleon. They make a very high quality product. However they absolutely refuse to deal with customers directly. They will force you to go through a dealer. Even in cases where the dealer has closed or is obviously incompetent. That is why it is critical to get a very reputable dealer who will go to bat for you in all cases.
RIght now I am working with another Napoleon owner who had a horrible experience with thier installer and still has to work through them to get anything fixed even though he can't stand the dealer and the dealer can't stand him. In cases where a dealer closed, those customers are having to find another dealer who will pick up the ball and help.
Once you find a good dealer that solves 99% of any problem and everthing should go smooth. Best of luck!

Pilot Joe said:
I have the NZ6000. It is a large unit. Looks fantastic and puts out a lot of heat. Can heat an entire 3000sf. The NZ3000 is smaller and sorta looks oddly out of proportion to me. (kinda too tall for its width) but thats just my opinion. THe 6000 uses a lot of wood if your burning it on high pumping out all the heat you need. If you don't need all that heat you can burn much less wood once the box is hot. The blower is great. Quiet and powerful. There are some problems though. The glass does get dirty no matter how hot you burn. The hotter and dryer the wood the better but you can never really burn it off. Initially the door hinges would sag due to the heavy weight of the doors but the factory rebuilt the faceplate and there is a fix for this problem. I am currently waiting for my free ugraded faceplate to be shipped to my dealer. I am hoping this fix will really work.
I would buy the 6000 again even with these noted comments. Its really a great looker and very effective at putting out heat. If I didn't care about looks a better option would be a wood stove with 360 degree radiant surface heat.

Joe,

How old is your NZ6000 ? Mine is 2 years old and the glass thing sucks. Can't have one fire without having to clean the glass . I noticed my doors are not fitting to well anymore. What did you have to go through to get the upgrade ?

Brent

Joe,

i also have a nz6000 with the door problems and no response from naploean on the issue. the stove was installed this summer and the doors were hitting each other by Oct.20th. can you tell me your results with napolean's upgraded faceplate.

thanks
Denis

I know it has been years since this thread has been active but I got a NZ26 installed earlier this year and we have been using it to heat our 2 story 1850 sq/ft house and I wanted to share my experience. I just want to say there is no right unit for everyone and for every square footage.

If you are buying a fireplace unit to heat the whole house (like I got mine for), then I recommend over sizing the unit by a little bit but not much more. If you oversize the unit too much, you are going to burn a lot of extra wood just to heat up the cast iron fireplace which takes a lot of wood to heat up the fireplace. These kinds of fireplaces are only going to start heating your house once they heat up. The hot fireplace is what heats your house, not the wood burning inside of it. A huge unit will take a lot of wood to heat up and then it will be blasting in so much heat that you and your family will be baking. In addition, if you put a smaller amount of wood into a huge unit, it will take forever to heat up. In other words, if you are getting your unit to heat your house, size the unit you get to the size of your house... maybe go a little higher but not too much higher.

Our fireplace comes with a glass window door that is easily removed for cleaning. I take the door off and lay it on the floor and spritz some fireplace glass cleaner on it and let it soak on the brown stains for a while. Then, most of the stains remove easily without lots of elbow grease. It is very easy to put the door back on. Taking the door off and on is as easy as using a hanger on a bar (just a heavier hanger). You can clean the door without removing it but it is much easier to clean if you remove the door and lay it down on a table or the floor. Then, when you use a paper towel, you can put your body weight into cleaning the glass.

They have a steel drawer inside the unit that is used for collecting ash. It can hold a couple days worth of ash. This drawer is great because when the ash builds up high in the fireplace, I don't need an ash can. I just plop the ash from the fireplace into the drawer and let it sit there for a day and then throw it out in the trash the next day. I thought I was going to have to buy a metal container for this but it came with the unit and it is inside the unit and you can't see it from the outside.

When you start the fire in the unit, it takes a good hour for it to heat up before it really starts heating the house. So, when you first have it installed and you light a fire and it is not giving off any heat, don't worry. Be patient. The unit has lots of thermal mass and gives off heat well after the fire has burned out.

Since we have a 2nd story and since the bedrooms are upstairs, we had an optional gravity vent installed. This is very useful for early morning. You can open or close the vent. I usually keep it shut so that the first floor builds up with heat and it slowly rises upstairs. But, when you want to blast the upstairs with heat, I get up early sometimes before everyone else in the family and load up the fireplace with wood and open the vent and the heat pours into the upstairs. It gets nice a toasty and the wife and kids have an easier time getting up because they are not hiding under the warm covers to avoid the cooler air of the house.

There is a lever that controls the rate of air flow into the unit. This thing really has a huge affect on the rate at which the wood burns. What I do is a burn normal sized logs normally (the smaller the log, the more heat it gives off and the faster it burns) but at the end of the night, I throw a big boy log into the unit and set the air flow really low. I've put in logs that take up almost the whole fireplace. This way, it burns slow all night long.

It comes with an electric fan that kicks on and off according to how hot the unit is. You can shut the fan totally off if you like.

I love this fireplace. The reason I got it was because of Hurricane Sandy when the power was out here in NJ for a while. The house got cold. In addition, I am expecting the price of natural gas to go up. We are hoping to save over $1,000 a year on heating costs with this unit. Because we have a tall house, it cost about $17,000 for everything, including the hearth, stainless steel double walled chimney and the foundation and the soffet and the siding. They had to build everything new for us because we didn't have a fireplace before. In addition, I have wood logs delivered to my home by a tree service and I split wood all year round as a form of exercise. For a man, there is nothing like splitting wood that you are going to use to heat your house. You get to swing and axe and destroy, just like a little kid again, and at the same time, you are working out and doing something productive. I use an axe and sledge hammers and splitting wedges. When I first started, I wasn't strong. But, after a year of splitting logs, I can easily pick up the wife into my arms and walk around with her no problem. Hold her like a little baby. And I am a small guy, only 5'4" tall. If I tried that last year, I would have need a hernia surgery.

I am very happy that we got this NZ26 fireplace. It is an excellent product and I recommend it. It was installed by Home Conservation Energy out of Green Brook, NJ. I highly recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.