Need a little help in new wood stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabby73

Sep 23, 2014
hey guys, I am new to the forum but I have been looking at getting a wood stove for awhile now to help offset the propane bill. I don't have a huge budget so I have been looking at a couple options but not sure which would've better. I have an older home maybe 1500 sq ft total. Stove would be in living room that is about 14x14 with open doors to the side for other rooms. It is not sit tight by no means. I was looking at the NC 30 to get a good firebox size to keep s longer burn through the night. Question , is this a good option? Any thing I am missing, there is an existing chimney already there I can tie into. Any suggestions will help

Welcome. The stove is an area heater. How large are the openings into the other rooms? If they are regular door sized I would consider a smaller stove like the True North TN19 or PE Super 27.

Good suggestion. Oooo, look at that website update.

I will check them out. So is the Madison the NC-13? And the openings are just regular door ways to rooms. The house is somewhat drafty because it is older but will the smaller stove still be able to hold a fire over night ok?

The Madison is a new stove they just introduced this year. 2.45 cubic foot firebox.

I am trying to find the Madison or even a price on it and not having any luck? It just says Home Depot is a dealer in my area. Is this a bigger step up than the NC 13 that they do sell?

I think the NC 13 has a 1.8 cf box (@$650), while the NC 30 is 3.5 cf (@$900). So yes, this is in between in size, and I assume in price... but I wonder, is it even in stores yet?

well finding the Madison is pretty hard and I haven't found it out or am thinking it might not be yet. So should I lean towards the 30 for the bigger box then or stick with the 1.8 if that will be sufficent?

The stove is just about getting shipped to the stores. I would call the company to see if they know of a supplier in your area who has it already or will it get soon. Someone here found theirs at Sutherlands. There is one about 2 hours from you in Louisville: http://sutherlands.com/locator.php?ret=

The way you describe your home the 30NC would be the better option. You will also get better burn times with it. Make sure to have a hearth with a r-value of 1.5. And you will need dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20% for it (and any other modern stove) to operate properly and safely. If you plan on connecting it to a masonry chimney I highly recommend putting a 6"-liner down there. That will improve draft tremendously, be easier to sweep and accumulate less creosote and therefore be safer.

So I managed to find the Madison stove and purchased it. It should be shipping and coming in next week so looking forward to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.