need advice on getting a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makoda

Dec 15, 2013
Utah
Here is my dilemma, I have a wood stove already its a napoleon 1100 and when in use the stove pings a lot which I know is normal. But I have a hearing condition called hyperacusis where sounds that are not loud to others cause me lots of pain. Well the woodstove has been one of them that hurts my ears, so what I am wondering is if there would be a better stove that would work for me like cast iron maybe or one of the soapstone stoves, or even an older stove.

It sucks because I really enjoy having a stove, but I can't stand the pinging of the metal. so please let me know what other options you may know of. Thanks

Our stove makes almost no sound as it warms up. They make it in smaller firebox sizes either with a steel or cast iron jacket. (Super 27 or Spectrum or Alderlea T5.)

I would still expect the pipe to pop and ping a bit. Maybe not as much as the stove, but it is hard to get away from those sounds when expanding metal to metal joints come into play.

Have you considered wearing ear protection, ear muffs, ear plugs, or noise canceling headphones? These could be a far simpler and cheaper solution if they work for you.

Good luck!

That's a tough one. I have the PE Super insert and that certainly makes some sound when heating up or especially cooling down. Your best bet may be a soapstone stove (as you seem to know already) but I agree with Jags, the pipe is likely to still make some noise. I am usually not recommending it but have you considered a basement install? Another option would be an EPA-approved zero clearance fireplace which should make less noise and that should be partially dampened by the chase it is in. You would be looking at a major investment, though.

Well I have been thinking on this for sometime now and looking around a bit and I am wondering if my cheapest and best option might be continuing the pipe on down through the floor and into the basement. This might solve the problem of the downstairs bedrooms being so cold as well when the fireplace is running. Can anyone give me an idea of what I would need to get in order to do this or approximate cost. I would only need to get an idea of cost of materials not labor. My stove pipe right now is a 16-18 ft straight shot up and out of the house and I can punch through the floor into the basement without having to reroute anything. Infact the room it is in and the one below it are the same floor plan so it should still be a straight drop down another 8 ft is all.

What kind of ceiling support is currently used for the chimney? How is the current chimney routed, through a conventional ceiling or a cathedral ceiling support box?

Last edited:
Does the sound not bother you when you are sleeping or is your bedroom upstairs? In addition to the pipe, you may also need a bigger stove when it is now supposed to heat both floors. The 1100 is a rather small stove to begin with. Are you considering putting the pipe in a chase? That should reduce the noise and may be required by your local code anyway.

Here are Pictures of where it is and below it in the basement. Its the kids bedroom downstairs that gets cold. I know the 1100 is smaller too and it may not be big enough but with our house being newer and I did a lot to keep it well insulated such as the only vaulted ceiling is the living room and it is a false vault so I could keep it insulated better above. Also insulation is max on walls and ceiling for our area. that little stove upstairs right now is hard to run because if you load it up the house gets to 80 way too fast with one load. I had been loading it in the mornings and then not again until the next morning and about 4 or 5 in the morning the furnace kicks on again.

Anyway I could always upgrade later but for now I would like to stick with this stove and hopefully filling it up morning and night would be enough. Also the house is only 1300 sq ft or so upstairs and only half of the basement will be heated.

As for the pipe on the main level I wasn't sure what we would have to do. so what would you incase it in. durock?

win-20141116-104441-96962.jpg

win-20141116-104541-96970.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.