need for an in line damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n0042827

Sep 24, 2006
Is there any down side to installing an in line damper? I was going to install one on my Jotul Castine, because at times I feel I am getting too much draft. But, the place I bought my stove, the double wall stove pipe and my chimney doesn't sell them because they don't believe in them. I have found it on line for around $35. It seems worth buying to me (an easy install too). Honestly, I think the experts on this forum know a lot more than the "guy at the counter". Your input would be appreciated. Thanks, Slim

What is your stack setup Slim. If it's drawing hard an inline damper can really help. Is your stove top or rear vented? We it on our 3CB and it made a big difference. The stove was easier to control and a lot less heat went up the stack. I'm considering putting one on our Castine as well, so let me know how it works out if you do add it.

I have 21'6" of exterior metal chimney.... and I vent from the top of the stove, stove pipe goes vertical about 26" and then horizontal about 18" to the wall. Thanks for the information... I may order it this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.