Need Help With Installation & Quotes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa*Ann

Feb 28, 2011
GA
Ok, the guy called me back and told it to install this stove in the livingroom corner it was going to be $2,400.00. That's way more then I can afford. I asked him to break it down to let me know how much for parts and how much for labor to see where all this money is.

Now I know that quote is for using all triple wall pipe. My neighbor just told me that I only need triple wall pipe in the places where it's going through the ceiling and the roof, but I can get away with just single wall for the rest. Can you guys advise me on this?

Class A chimney, whether triple or double wall needs to be used for the chimney. Stove connector pipe, going from the stove to the chimney, may be either single our double wall depending on clearance.

cmonSTART said:
Class A chimney, whether triple or double wall needs to be used for the chimney. Stove connector pipe, going from the stove to the chimney, may be either single our double wall depending on clearance.

I thought the pipe was the chimney?

Stovepipe is from the stove to the connector box where it passes through the ceiling. From that point up, it is the chimney to the top above the roof, finally topped with a ... chimney cap. As cmonstart said, Class A chimney (the triple wall the installer refers to) needs to be continuous, you can't add in sections of stovepipe. The stovepipe, from stove to ceiling, is either single wall or double wall. Double wall costs more but allows closer clearances to combustibles, though none can be closer than the stove's clearances as well. As an example, some double wall stovepipe is rated for 6-8" (I think?) from the wall, but if your stove requires 14" than that's what you have to go with. Does that help?

Oh and I'd be skeptical of any advice that includes "get away with"...

Status
Not open for further replies.