Need new boots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
I need new work boots, looking for an all around boot. Big factor needs to be comfort, I've had plantar fasciitis and don't want to trigger it again. Been wearing Merrils but not as comfortable as I'd like and they're worn out. Not looking for a high boot or a logger boot.
I was looking at Keen, never had a pair before. If anyone has suggestions I'd like to hear them. I wear 11M so fit usually isn't a problem.

Timberline Pro
92615214-HERO

on my second pair of skechers steel toe relaxed fit works hire boots in black.

@Sean McGillicuddy what model is that?
@rwh63 I used to wear Skechers and the last pair was part of the trigger of my plantar fasciitis. I can't really blame the shoes as I wore them longer than I should have.
I'm not a fan of steel toes

Find some Cofra boots...
Thats been my only summer foot ware for over 12 years
Put on a new pair and withing hours you have forgotten you have new boots on.
I buy the exact same boot,then sometimes i get lucky when a boot fails in a pair i have a good one from the last pair and get another summer out of them.

@Sean McGillicuddy what model is that?
@rwh63 I used to wear Skechers and the last pair was part of the trigger of my plantar fasciitis. I can't really blame the shoes as I wore them longer than I should have.
I'm not a fan of steel toes
you might need arch support. i too wore my first pair down to the point of the sole thinning out. you're right, by then any built in footbed support is shot.

Keens (depending on the model) have a nice wide toe box. I'm currently wearing a pair of Revel III mids that I've had for 3 years and like them quite a bit. They don't have the cushiest ride, but I have hiked in them without discomfort. I'm pretty picky about the fit of shoes as I have rather narrow heels and a wide ball. I also like a wide toe box so they don't feel squished. Keens for me need to be 1/2 size up from normal.

One recommendation I have it to abuse the free return policy with Amazon. When I needed some new winter footwear, I ordered about a dozen different models and brands before settling on these Keens and a pair of Merrell Thermo Chill. Trying them at home with different socks, and a couple days apart since feet swell and shrink, it's extremely useful to get free return shipping.

Reactions: 1kzwoman and Eman85
Keens (depending on the model) have a nice wide toe box. I'm currently wearing a pair of Revel III mids that I've had for 3 years and like them quite a bit. They don't have the cushiest ride, but I have hiked in them without discomfort. I'm pretty picky about the fit of shoes as I have rather narrow heels and a wide ball. I also like a wide toe box so they don't feel squished. Keens for me need to be 1/2 size up from normal.

One recommendation I have it to abuse the free return policy with Amazon. When I needed some new winter footwear, I ordered about a dozen different models and brands before settling on these Keens and a pair of Merrell Thermo Chill. Trying them at home with different socks, and a couple days apart since feet swell and shrink, it's extremely useful to get free return shipping.
Thanks, I'm all in with Amazon and their try it before you buy it and free returns. I don't have any stores near me that carry any quality footwear so Amazon is great.

For longevity and value for money, I don't recommend Keen. The outsole on my Targhee II's began peeling off after about 8 months of regular use. At about 12 months the loose flaps of outsole made the shoes pretty much unwearable. Both my dad and a friend of mine have each had two pairs of Keens do exactly the same thing. Major manufacturing flaw for a $170+ shoe, and bizarre considering that otherwise it seems to be a tough, beefy, well made shoe that they market as their flagship model. Other models of Keen do not have the two layered outsole like the Targhee II in my photo, perhaps a pair with a more conventional one-piece molded outsole would not have this problem(?)

IMG_20221219_190855036.jpg

I’m partial to thorogoods. My current pair is going on year 2 with working in construction. Very comfortable especially with the wedge sole.

I started buying insulated and non-insulated Xtratuff boots and won't go back to anything else for boots. Now I get them in steel toe so I don't have to swap boots to run the saw. I have a lot of experience with leather boots from being in the military and being an avid outdoorsperson, but for working you can't beat the Xtratuffs. I even wear them for hiking when I know my feet will get wet, which is most of the time around here. Otherwise I wear some form of moccasin when I don't need a good waterproof boot or serious foot protection.

@RockCastile I see that's listed as a hiking boot. I've had the same problem with the Merrills where the sole cracks and or separates.

@RockCastile I see that's listed as a hiking boot. I've had the same problem with the Merrills where the sole cracks and or separates.
I believe my friend had the Keen Pittsburgh, which they list as a work boot. Same thing, totally delaminated outsole, and he hadn't put much wear on them at all.
Me, I'm about half a year into a pair of Georgia Giants from Georgia Boot, farming in them daily, they're seeming like a winner for a not very expensive boot.

Fit is paramount in work boots. And hiking boots. My last day jogging was my last day in the Navy, but I think fit is important for running shoes too- for all y'all young people.

Ands cowboy boots too. Cowboys boots just magnify whatever you find in the store as they wear in. Squeaky gets squeakier. Comfortable becomes more comfortable. Painful in the store will become unbearable in short order.

Any road, I like Wolverine and Timberline because they are a good boot and they fit my feet good. Danner makes a good boot, no quarrel with that idea, but they don't fit my feet right.

When you find a boot that fits your feet good, and it is from a well respected brand, you have found your boot. I used to wear steel toes, but I am ok with the modern polymer toes. If you drop something heavy enough on your toes, the steel will bend and either the ER doc or the surgeon has to bend the steel back before they can get your boot off and get to work on you feet. With the polymer, it either takes the blow and protects your foot, or is easy to remove when you get to the ER. I have had the same pair of steel insoles since 1990, those don't wear out and can move from boot to boot as you wear the old ones out.

I have been spending the money to put aftermarket insoles into the shoes I wear a lot for, gosh, 40 years now with no regrets and no foot pain that cannot be attributed to age. If your feet don't work you will dependent on your spouse to leave the TV remote where you can reach it, bring you food, bring you water and wipe your butt. She is still pissed about that time you went fishing when she thought the pair of you were going to the mall in 1987 on whatever day that was. Aftermarket insoles are cheap compared to watching the Hallmark channel all day every day for the rest of your life.

I have been using whatever insoles are for sale up near the cash register at the shoe store since the 1980s. If the insoles are up near the cash register you should be able to reach the TV remote in your dotage for ESPN or the History channel instead of Hallmark. I honestly cannot remember the brand name of most of the aftermarket insoles I have ever purchased, though I am certain a few of them have been Dr. Scholls. If the insoles you are considering are soft and squishy and remind you of that redheaded girl you met in Amsterdam in 1976 you will do fine.

If comfort is top concern my vote goes for redwing/Irish setter. My previous job we got 2 pair of boots a year. We all went to the Redwing store. By far most comfortable work boots I've ever wore. (Irish setter marshals). Now that I buy my own I refuse to pay 200 a pair. I'm having good luck with Lincoln offiter brand from rural king. Half the price

Otherwise I wear some form of moccasin when I don't need a good waterproof boot or serious foot protection.
I live in these
1671532834599.png

Reactions: SpaceBus
They are from LL bean .. If I do not have socks on these are on my feet ..even when I go out in the early morning to feed my two Mini Horses ..
P5200019.JPG

Reactions: SpaceBus
Shoe/ boot recommendation is variable and so dependent on individual preferences and needs - shape of foot, especially insole. Some like Keen for their roominess, but to me my toes swim in the boot.
It sounds like you might have two issues to solve for: first plantar fasciitis, then finding a comfortable work boot.
I've had plantar fasciitis. You definitely want to treat it before conditions worsens and develops into heel spur. See podiatrist if needed. Get recommendation on foot support - OTC insert insoles or prescription. Inserts have addressed my foot problems. I have a very high arch and OTC inserts make all the difference whether a shoe is good or bad. The footbed is the foundation of foot health & comfort.
For me OTC inserts (Powerstep - Powerstep) work great. If I remove them and replace with insert that came with shoes I can feel difference immediately. It's like a totally different shoe. I buy Powerstep model (Pulse) with stiff, high arch support. It has a very stiff bed for heel.
Buy a shoe made by company and people with tradition of craftsmanship. In past 10 years, for a non-PPE shoe, I've been happy with Asolo Fugitive boots (Asolo Fugitive-gtx).

Everyone’s foot is different, but last time I was looking for a steel toe waterproof insulated boot, I tried on a bunch. Keens had too high of an arch for me. Tried on some CATs and others, they were ok. But when I set my foot into these Wolverines, it fit like a glove. That was February 2018 or maybe even 2017. I’ve never had a pair of boots last this long, without eyelets falling off, sole coming loose, housing cracked through. Granted they do have wear, but they’re still all together and perfectly usable. When these do go, I’ll try to find more of the same.