Need To Go Thru a Wall With Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillT

Hearth Supporter
Aug 26, 2008
Moneta, VA
Trying to find out more info about installing a new Englander 13. I am going to pipe it thru the wall, then up. I am trying to find out if Class "A" Triple Wall Insulated Pipe is rated at zero clearance. Also looking for any other options that would be either more practical or cheaper.

We were talking about it in another thread, but I decided to put it to a new topic.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bill

I'm doing the same install but going to use Selkirk Matalbestos double wall pipe. It requires a 2" clearance when it goes thru the wall (in the thimble). I found the thru wall kit and the 14' of double wall pipe for $656. I still need the stove pipe for inside but that's not expensive. I think I read somewhere that you might get better draft with double wall because it keeps the chim hotter.

Not sure that you will find any with zero clearance but will certainly be interested to find out if there is any.

Don't remember for sure, but think ours called for 2" and we gave it 6" anyway. Through the wall also needs 1/4" raise per foot in the horizontal pipe but we doubled that. Works like a charm.

I don't know of a single manufacturer past or present that makes a 0" clearance chimney pipe. All that I know of is 2" clearance, which is safe, no need to go more. The warmer you can keep the flue gasses until they get to the top of the chimney, the better. Even better is to build a chase around your chimney pipe and insulate that. But its not required by any means, just beneficial

Hey Blel I am also doing a similar install and live in ct, where were you able to find that selkirk kit for $656

Scott

blel said:
I'm doing the same install but going to use Selkirk Matalbestos double wall pipe. It requires a 2" clearance when it goes thru the wall (in the thimble). I found the thru wall kit and the 14' of double wall pipe for $656. I still need the stove pipe for inside but that's not expensive. I think I read somewhere that you might get better draft with double wall because it keeps the chim hotter.

sounds like a good price where did you buy it at?

No pipe that I know of is zero clearance. As far as other options, we'd need to know more about the setup in order to give more information.

BeGreen,

The pipe going to go up from the stove and horizontally out the wall. It is going to go thru the drywall, past the studs and out the wall which is metal siding. The pipe will be somewhere around 12 inches away from the inside wall (vertically up from the stove) before the 90 degree elbow. I am open to different options, but wondering what the most practical solution might be. I really don't need to have zero clearance pipe, but just thought it would be more convienient if it were avavilable.

In the meantime I have been learning about "Thru the Wall Kits".

Any extra info would be helpful and appreciated, besides the good and useful info that I have already recieved on the boards here.

Thanks

Bill

The exterior pipe will be class A double wall. You'll need a thimble kit to pass a short extension piece of class A through the wall. The kit is metal, with an adjustable sleeve to accommodate different wall thicknesses. It will maintain the 2" clearances. Then you can use - interior double-wall stove connector pipe, like Simpson DuraVent DVL to connect the stove and satisfy clearance requirements. Simpson has an excellent installation manual in pdf format posted on their website. It has a section that details such an installation with good images.

Craig also has some articles about this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/passing_a_chimney

My contractor (grumble grumble) didnt do a great job of my thru-wall connector to the chimney. The new wall is cement board, and the clearance to the studs is decent, but its a single wall connector pipe and that wall gets uncomfortably warm sometimes. Definitely go w/ a double wall w/ vents if ya can find it.

Appreciate the info BeGreen.

Bill

BurningIsLove said:
My contractor (grumble grumble) didnt do a great job of my thru-wall connector to the chimney. The new wall is cement board, and the clearance to the studs is decent, but its a single wall connector pipe and that wall gets uncomfortably warm sometimes. Definitely go w/ a double wall w/ vents if ya can find it.

Single wall is in no way legal for any through wall installation! That needs to be redone before the burning season starts.

BeGreen said:
BurningIsLove said:

Single wall is in no way legal for any through wall installation! That needs to be redone before the burning season starts.

Right....which begs the question....anyone know a contractor that returns phone calls let alone shows up to do the work? (no offense intended to any contractors on the forum) I tried heck knows how many and had zero luck, either no answer or the 'we'll call you to schedule' and nothing happened.

Usually withholding payment until the job is completed to satisfaction is a pretty good incentive. I don't know how far you live from where Elk lives, but he would do it right.

Hahhaa....indeed. For me the problem hasnt been paying and a no-show (except for the first contractor!), it's even getting someone to answer the call to even discuss the project. Ya'd think with the downturn in economy/new home construction that contractors would be more responsive.....couldnt be more wrong.

Try contacting certified chimney sweeps. Also call the stove shops for a qualified installer. A general contractor may be the last person you need in this circumstance. (No offense to Sandor and other reputable contractors.) You need someone who understand how to properly install a safe flue system. I don't know how this ever passed inspection.

Burning, You said its a single wall connector pipe. Do you mean that the pipe from the stove to the insulated chimney pipe is single wall, or do you mean that they used the single wall to go thru the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.