New 2 sided Supreme Duet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i have used the grill a little bit.. I have not really cooked a meal on it, but i have used it to re-heat and toast things as the fire is burning down.. I have found it a little impractical for the most part. As far as the smoke issue, the reason you get smoke is if you open the door when your wood is still off gasing or if the wood is not burning hot enough, other wise if you are burning a nice hot fire with a good bed of coals i do not get any smoke into the house..

I think the best option if you really want to cook on it would be to get a real good hot fire going with a nice bed of coals, and then add charcoal to the fire when needed to get a more even temp fire, or add very very small splits to avoid smoke issue..

i find it alot easier to just light the grill outside;)

We recently installed the supreme duet at our new build cottage. We are having smoke issues when we reload. Any help would be appreciate. Might have to remove stove.

Tell us more about the installation. What is the flue system type and height? Does it have an outside air supply? If you open a nearby window or door does that help alleviate the issue?

Tell us more about the installation. What is the flue system type and height? Does it have an outside air supply? If you open a nearby window or door does that help alleviate the issue?
Our flute is 6" doubled walled insulated pipe, it's height is above standard recommendation. Most likely a draft issue, but don't know if there is a solution with homes being so air tight. We also got the optional air I take kit too.

I do not have the optional air intake kit on mine, and my house is not so air tight so i'm not so sure what your problem could be.

But some things to try..

1) burn good DRY wood.
2) burn hot fire's. maybe try smaller splits.
3) do not open the door until wood has fully off gassed and is in coaling stage.
4) turn your fan off on reloads.
5) open the door slowly on reloads.

Once in a while i will get a little smoke in the house, but it is usually because i did not follow one of the steps above.

Reactions: begreen
I do not have the optional air intake kit on mine, and my house is not so air tight so i'm not so sure what your problem could be.

But some things to try..

1) burn good DRY wood.
3) do not open the door until wood has fully off gassed and is in coaling stage.

Once in a while i will get a little smoke in the house, but it is usually because i did not follow one of the steps above.
Thank you for the suggestions

Good tips Chum Stains.
Our flute is 6" doubled walled insulated pipe, it's height is above standard recommendation. Most likely a draft issue, but don't know if there is a solution with homes being so air tight. We also got the optional air I take kit too.
With a properly installed OAK the combustion air for the stove should be coming from outdoors. Make sure the duct for this is not kinked and there is nothing outside blocking the intake.

How many floors on the house and what floor is this installed on?

But some things to try..

1) burn good DRY wood.

spoke to the rep from supreme and they said to load the stove only when there is embers. never reload when there is a flame . this seem extreme, so we have to wait til it's almost out to put on more wood. is this how you burn your stove.

spoke to a rep from supreme and was told"We recommend starting a fire with a full load (4 standard size logs) and a firestarter. Once the load has been reduced to embers with no visible flame, it is safe to open the Duet door to add another load of wood. Opening a Duet door when there is still a flame may cause smoke to enter your home." is this how you operate your stove, it seems crazy that we have to wait til it's almost out to load wood

It may be a consequence of the small flue opening vs a large door. The coaling period should last for hours with a substantial coal bed possible after the fire has died down.

How many floors on the house and what floor is this installed on?