New and I have a question 30 ncp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Sean

Nov 5, 2013
PA
I am a newbie to wood stoves and am looking for a nice used wood stove my house is 2 stories and built in the 50s i have found a stove that is in my area but not sure about it for a couple of reasons i found the ad on craigslist and the stove appears older than the guy says it is and appears to be used when he said it hasn't the link is http://frederick.craigslist.org/for/4143047856.html i also need the kit that he is selling with the stove and have talked him down to 600 for the pair and am wondering if it is even worth that it is square and all of the 30 ncp models i have seen have arched doors and this does not so is this just a different model or is older should i been concerned thank you for looking

Sean

also any tips would also be welcomed my house is brick so tips on going through the wall would be appreciated and i am planing on putting the stove in the basement so there is roughly going to be 25 feet of chimney outside the house

If it was used , it wasn't used much, looks like a good deal for $600 with the Chimney Pipe Kit, but the guy probably only paid $650 for the stove

Run. It ain't a 30-NCP. That is the Englander 12-FP "EPA exempt" 1.8 cubic foot stove that they quit making a year or two ago. Not a clean burning EPA stove.

I knew some one would come and give a positive ID

ok well that pretty much seals that idea thanks for your time guys
Keep lookin, lookin, lookin, do your home work, come back ask questions about what you find, these guys here will help you out, they helped me so much when I was looking for a used stove, took a while to find what I needed , but with the help here,I ended up with a great stove

Another EPA-exempt stove which will be less efficient than an EPA-certified one. What you save now you will pay for it in wood consumption. Is money that tight that you cannot pick up an Englander NC-30 from HomeDepot for ~$900? It is hard to beat regarding price to performance.

You also mentioned a basement install; are those walls insulated? If not you may have trouble heating your home even with such a large stove. What is the sqfootage? Do you already have several cords of dry wood at hand?

it would most likely make it a later purchase it is a finished basement sq footage is around 2300 ft but a couple rooms are additions and don't have basement space underneath probably 400 to 600 sq ft so i would assume that they would not be heated by the stove which isn't a big deal because we don't use those rooms i have around a cord at hand with the ability to get more.

You can do a whole lot better by getting the 30NC new. A cord of wood is not a lot. And these stoves want truly dry wood which is a rare commodity at this time of year.

If you are not in a hurry wait till the spring and you may find the NC-30 for ~$700. In the meantime, get a lot more wood (you'll probably need 4 to 5 cords per year), split and stack it and let it dry for next winter. If you are looking for used stoves, you will need something large with a firebox of 3 cu ft or more.

Northern also cares the Drolet units, much better than the other, on par with Englander. Englander built here stateside, Drolet canadian built. The v unit chicom sourced I believe.

whats the general consensus on pleasant hearth 2200 sq ft model ive been searching on here and haven't found much

whats the general consensus on pleasant hearth 2200 sq ft model ive been searching on here and haven't found much
If I recall correctly, the 2200 is a little smaller than the 30NC. I think I saw the 1800 in person when I was at Lowes last winter and I was surprised as to how small the firebox was in comparison to the claimed heating output/size. That isn't to say it is bad, I just think they might be one of the many stove manufacturers that overestimate their stove's heating capacity.

I have no experience with using a Pleasant Hearth, though.

i went by yesterday to look at each of them and i see exactly what you guys are saying about the pleasant hearth i saw the 1800 and it was tiny compared to the englander i have also found a used vc defiant in the area it is a catalytic stove (so relatively new?) for 550 is there anything i should know about that stove?

Lots to check with this stove, mostly on the inside. For the little difference in price I would get the 30NC. Over the next 5 years the odds are the Englander would more than pay back for the difference in price.

For the inexperienced wood burner, I'd go with the 30NC over that Defiant. If the Defiant needs a cat or the assembly package, or both, you will easily be at or over the cost of a new 30NC.

Additionally, the Defiant might need to be stripped down and regasketed. Which is a pain in the ass. Also, the Defiant is a dirtier burner than the 30. Same wood, same chimney, and I got more build-up from the Defiant than I did from the 30.

The Defiant will provide a bit more heat when it is run correctly. But, for the most part, it is not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.