New but old wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanH0802

Nov 29, 2015
Collins, Iowa
I have been doing a lot of research on this but have been getting different information. We are going to be installing a wood burning stove in our house very soon. We have already checked with the insurance company and have the green light from them. I'm very handy and have been doing construction work for years and have remodeled several houses over the years but this will be the first wood stove install. We are going straight out the top of the wood stove, thru the ceiling and right thru the roof. I was just reading on the hearth site that the black stove pipe must keep clear of any combustible walls or ceiling by 18". What do I need to go from my stove pipe to the triple wall chimney and what do I need to pass thru the ceiling? Does the chimney have to stick down 18" into the room or am I missing something here.

The chimney pipe ceiling support will project about 6" into the room and will have a wide heat shielding skirt. Make sure that the 18" stove pipe is at least 18" away from any wall or combustible to the side. Is this DuraPlus chimney? If so the install manual is online.

No, im installing a supervent chimney. I will have lots of questions so just hang with me if you will. I was doing more reading and it looks like my chimney will be 8" OD for my 6" stove pipe. Do I need a 8" wall thimble when going thru the ceiling? I need to know when to put my stove pipe to chimney adapter piece on. Does that go on before I pass thru the ceiling or after? All of the pictures I have been seeing online have been just the black stove pipe going up to the ceiling. I haven't seen the triple wall chimney sticking down into the room at all..

No, wall thimbles are for going through walls. You don't need one for a ceiling installation. The ceiling support box handles the transition. Download the Supervent installation manual for starters. That should help you visualize the components necessary. The whole chimney system gets installed before one then attaches the adapter and hooks up the stove connector pipe.
Here is an illustration of a typical install.
Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 6.32.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 6.50.33 PM.png

Last edited:
The chimney and stove installation is well documented in each manual. You can get them online or from a stove store. All easy enough for a seasoned house builder. Beware of all the clearances and hearth requirements. They differ from stove to stove. The hearth fire rating is the big difference.

Thank you. I downloaded the super vent manual and that answered a lot of my questions. I have looked all over the stove for a brand and the only thing I can find is a war nock Hershey label on the back about clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.