New construction - thinking Quadra-Fire 4300 - any thoughts appreciated!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnin up VT

Apr 20, 2007
So I figure it's about time I step out of lurker mode and go guns full blazing for my first post...

My wife and I (and our 4 month old daughter) are building a house - we're going to be breaking ground in a couple weeks. We're in Vermont - so it can get plenty cold up here. All the plans are finalized and we're getting close to ready to roll. Total square footage is a hair over 2000, with about 1100 on the first floor, 750 on the 2nd and an office another half flight up for the remaining buck fifty. The first floor is completely open (no interior walls) with the living room sunk about 3 steps and with a high ceiling (14' at the highest). The kitchen and dining have normal 8' ceilings - these three rooms basically form a triangle. The wood stove is going to be our main heat, and it is in the center of the house in the living room. Just behind it - also in the center of the house between the kitchen and dining room, is the staircase - it's not boxed in at all, it's a floating staircase. This goes up a flight to the 2nd floor with two bedrooms, and continues up another 1/2 flight to the office.

The layout itself seems ideal for heating with the stove - there should be plenty of air going up to the 2nd floor through that open staircase, and there are also 2 small windows at the top of the living room ceiling and the ceiling slops up to those windows following the roof line - one goes to our bedroom and one to the bathroom. So hot air is going to be following the ceiling up those channels and directly into our bedroom and the bathroom. I'm almost worried it's too easy for air to get upstairs, but I figure with a ceiling fan in the living room we should be ok...

So - wood stoves. I've been doing a lot of looking in person, researching online, and reading these forums. In my previous house I had an old Defiant that I was using as supplemental heat only (burned it most evenings in the winter), so this will be the first time I'm intending to heat mainly with a stove - I can't wait.

Obviously there's a variety of things that go into the decision as to what stove to get: heating capacity, efficiency, quality of construction, cost, aesthetics, size of box, etc. There's a lot of different stoves out there, and it seems like quite a few good ones. After taking all these things into consideration I think I've arrived at the Quadrafire 4300 - if I had to buy one tomorrow that's the one I'd get. It seems like a great price for what you get - most other stoves of that size and quality seem to be higher priced. I've read some good reviews online, and the salesman where they sell Quadrafire in this area (a true Vermonter) thought it was the best stove they sell (it's not the most expensive, that's for sure).

So I thought I would throw my situation out there and see if anyone has any advice. All things being equal there aren't a ton of stoves I really like the look of - I like the simplicity of this Quadrafire, but others like it (the Avalon, the Lopi) for some reason look ugly to me even though they're very similar - and I'm definitely not a fan of the step top look. I like the look of the new Defiants (I liked my old one), but both stores I've been in that sell Vermont Castings say they're the most prone to failure (I know they're not made in VT any more, but it's funny that Vermonters would say to stay away from Vermont Castings). BTUs on the Defiant are also much lower than other similarly sizes stoves which is strange - the specs claim it will heat up to 2400 sq ft on 60k BTUs, where most other stoves are rated 70+ that claim to heat that much volume.

Steel and cast iron seems like a matter of personal preference - steel heats and cools faster but cast iron can crack (witness the Defiant in my old house). Same with front/side/top loading. Top loading seems insane to me, but I guess it works or they wouldn't offer it. On that old Defiant I could never side-load without smoking out my house, so I front loaded it even though I could side-load. So I don't have any preference really there...

So I'm curious what people think. The specs say the 4300 should be more than enough for my house, but reading here it seems to be pretty much a given that the specs are overstated (kind of like MPG for cars). It's new construction so the envelope is going to be good, but there is a lot of glass in the living room which makes me a bit nervous for those few nights when it hits -20 or lower.

One thing the Quadrafire doesn't have is an ash pan of any kind. I've never used one so probably wouldn't know what I'm missing, but is that something people really like and find useful?

Are there other stoves I should be giving a second shot? There's something about this stove that's really given me a good feel - a gut instinct. It just looks like it's a serious stove ;)

Oh - I should mention also that my wife and I have a small business that we run out of our house - so there's going to be someone in this house most any hour of the day. Any stove we get is going to get a real workout.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts :)

I know they’re not made in VT any more, but it’s funny that Vermonters would say to stay away from Vermont Castings). BTUs on the Defiant are also much lower than other similarly sizes stoves which is strange - the specs claim

Who ever the dealerthat told you this would be elimiated from my list. This is a out and out lie. The Defiant is still made in VT. As for heat output you will soon realize that manufactures claims are vastly overstated. Vc takes a different road and down plays trying to reflect real world expectations and not optium lab testing that can never be obtained with cordwood . What Vc does is try to project a productive heat range over a burn time not just a short time peak reading. The new c not cat encore and defiant are the cleanest stoves ever tested by the Epa I have done the entire plan tour and I can assure you they manufacture the Defiant in Bethel and Randolth VT. My eyes confirmed what they saw. If you are have a hard time believing me. I can post the link of the video tour As for quality I do not remember one complain concerning a defiant here in the 5 years of froum participation

As for the quadra-fire they are good quality stoves. Nothing not to like about them. Good luck and welcome to the Hearth

Real world comparisons one should factor in fire box size and how effecient the stove opperates like comparing the EPA grams per hour emittances

I think the Step Top model can have an ash pan added. Most people on this forum seem to hate thier ash pans though. But it sounds like you want the melennium (flat top).

Quads are definatly great units, few tips though.

Get a blower, it helps move the heat around a lot.

See if the dealer has ACC or ACT units. The ACC is the current model, and the ACT is discontinued. A lot of dealers may have old stock. For a great deal the ACT is a good stove, but the ACC has some cool new features. I made a post about the ACC stoves sometime recently if you want to know more.

I just installed the Quad 5700 and heat about 2,500 sq ft. on two levels. Installed it about a month ago. It is a step top though. According to the specs the 4300 would have worked for me as well. I really (and I mean really) debated on which of the two stoves to go with. I am very happy that I went with the larger stove. I can only say good of the Quad name thus far. Their over night burn times are not overestimated (11-12 hrs) and they appear to stand behind the product. Quad door handles have a "secondary latch". It is a small oblong shaped heavy duty washer. Mine was mangled by the show room dealer when they assembled it. I called my salesman and requested this washer type part. Easy to take apart and fix/replace. It's the size of a silver dollar and probably should be worth about a dollar. The dealer called and left me a message that he was having the whole new handle assembly shipped to me. I would have been happy with just the small part I need! That's good PR and dealer service

Anyway, back to your issue. You will be happy with a quad--I really think they are understated, and I would consider the next size up-the 5700.

Welcome Burnin up. You have lots of choices. Take your time in deciding. If it were me I would also consider a Woodstock soapstone or maybe a Napoleon or Pacific Energy Spectrum or Classic stove. And maybe an Englander 13 NCP would work. We have a resident expert that might have a few words to put in on that stove.

Since someone is always going to be in the house, have you considered soapstone stoves? Everyone i know raves about them. The one big downside is they take a long time to heat up, which should not be a concern for you.

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

Soapstone - I've thought about it in passing, but I think I should give it more of a fair shake. I have to admit this is probably the worst reason not to get a stove, but I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the style of the stove itself... But I've heard people say that it's the most pleasant 'feeling' stove because of the way the soapstone gives off heat... Are there other brands besides hearthstone I should be considering? I'm really a fan of a plain matte black (no paint) finish - in the propaganda (literature) it says it comes with a painted matte black finish. I'm curious if anyone has problems with chipping. Also the hearthstone is a considerably more expensive stove - it looks like we'd be up in the Mansfield range, and that stove was quoted as $1200 more than the 4300. I'm very willing to pay for the right stove, but definitely want to make sure it's the right one before I start throwing money like that around (obviously)...

The only two stoves that I was told come with a lifetime warranty are the Hearthstone and the Quadrafire, which seems like a big plus to me as well.

elkimmeg

My eyes confirmed what they saw. If you are have a hard time believing me. I can post the link of the video tour As for quality I do not remember one complain concerning a defiant here in the 5 years of froum participation

I think he might have said the company was bought out by a Canadian company, or something to that effect, and I thought he had said they weren't made here any more, but I could be mistaken. I really like the looks of that Defiant, and it seems like a really solid stove - the BTUs are at the lowest end of what I'm looking at which gives me pause. I don't want the first real cold to hit and have us bringing sleeping bags down around the fire because it's so cold (although it would be fun if we don't have to ;) ). It also is a pricey stove compared to the 4300 - quoted at $600 more and the most expensive stove I'm looking at compared to the soapstone ones...

Initially I liked the idea of a cast iron stove - the slower heat/cool time and solid feel are attractive - but I'm also worried about cracking it. That old Defiant I used before was cracked, and I'm inexperienced enough that I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up cracking a new one as well. People at both dealers mentioned the possibility as well. My guess is I'd crack it right at 5 years and 1 day...

One thing I really like about both the Defiant and the Quadrafire are how clean they are. I was really impressed with the EPA rating of the Quadrafire, and when I saw the Defiant I thought it must be a typo - .75 grams per hour is nothing short of amazing compared to other stoves. Is it safe to assume that the EPA rating really can be taken straight out as the efficiency of the stove - it burns everything else up?

Question: it's pretty much a given that most specs are bogus in the literature. Does that include the BTU rating of the stove, or is that regulated and they can't get away with a fib there? Is it the 'heat up to 2400 sq ft' that you have to drop by 1/3, or the BTUs as well? If it's the BTUs as well it makes me feel a lot better about the size of the Defiant...

jtp10181: thanks for the info about ACC vs ACT. Very good to know, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the older model they have in there. VT isn't a big place, and I doubt they're moving a ton of stoves...

The area heated by the stove is going to vary with the house. If you are building new, don't scrimp on insulation and good windows. That is an investment in your future. If anything, go slightly overboard on the insulation. In a well-built house you will need a smaller stove than average. There is a huge difference between heating an old 2000 sq ft farmhouse in VT and one of modern construction. Also, if possible, site the house and windows to take advantage of winter solar gain.

In a new house you should be able to use a stove rated for about 1600 sq ft. I think the bigger issue will be getting long burn times. That's why I said take a look at Woodstove soapstone stoves. It is a catalytic, soapstone stove made in VT. Colin (NY Soapstone) has heated his larger house with one in middle NY state, so I'll let him describe it if you're interested.

here's a pic of Colin's installation:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3422/

Specs are right. Price is right. Quality is right and you like the looks of it.

Put that Quad in that house and light'er up.

You're right about insulation and Windows - we're investing in the envelope for sure. The house itself will be a 5 star energy star home (well everything will hit that but it looks like we're not insulating the basement in the initial phase to cut costs so we lose our 'energy star' rating). The rebates we get for getting the label don't make up for the cost of insulating the basement at this point...

Solar gain is tough with this house - we're on the north side of a 'mountain' (in quotes because anywhere else it wouldn't be called that ;) ). We will get southern sun though, and have made sure to maximize that. Down the road we're going to be putting in some solar panels, but once again cost is prohibiting this happening now.

Given the choice I'm going to stay away from a catalytic stove - the efficiency of non-cats seems to be so good now that I don't see a reason to go with a cat stove, and once again assume I'd end up gumming up the works and having more problems than it's worth...

EDIT to add: I like your thinking BrotherBart :)

Not to pit on manufacture against another, what you have to compare is the fire box size X size fire box and the amount of wood will generate the same BTUs
While we were doing the plant tour We questioned the BTU's and area rating for heating that manufactutres claimed. They told us, Goose and I,
that they have had the Defiant stoked up to 125k BTUs In order to achieve this it is run air full open and constantly fed with wood. They then explained, that they try to reflect closer to real world conditions. Plus they are more concerned with a productive longer even heat range and duration. In the real world it is impossible to run a stove 1005 peak output all the time.
It is much easier to opperate and sensible to run at 2/3 or 3/4 of overstated manufacture claims.

IF given the same fire box size also given the same amount BTUs the wood load can produce. the difference is how a stove burns that load and the amount of heat
transfered to the living space. After the initial burning ,smoke particulate can be burned to extract more heat produced. The stove that does the best job at doing so.
will produce the most heat and burn the cleanest. Realistically to achieve overnight productive heat a fire box needs to be atleast 2 cu ft. I talking about productive heat not raking a few coals over and getting it started again stove top temps at over 400 degrees with a decent bed of coals. Naturally 3.0 cu ft fireboxes generate more heat and should burn longer possibly 10 hours of productive heat.

Some of the features I like are smokeless top loading the open fire screen option bread warmers and mitten drying. the most convient feature is the dustless ash removal system. Actually my wife likes this feature more than I do. IT is real convient to slide the handle cover over the ash pan and walk it outside the home for disposal No cloud of ash dust not trail od ash left in the home like I said dustless extraction. and a real ash pan capacity that does not have to be emptied 2time a day. Finally I prefere the cat combustor and secondary thermatically controled air.
these are the key components for long productive clean burning. About as close to set and forget I have ever experienced.

Let me address cast iron; There are millions of cast iron stoves in use that have not cracked out in 5 years use. many are 20 years old and still running I know I have one. If you feel that you will destroy a stove in 5 years then you really should not be purchasing a stove. That means you are severly overfiring the stove. EVen plat steel stoves welds can crack secondary burn tubes will disinsegrate for continued overfiring plus the warranty issue you are aluding to is void from all manufactures if overfired. Lifetime warranty are useless if overfiring it the cause.
Finally many manufactures like VC Jotul are asembling their stoves replacing refractory cement joint to gasketed ones the gaskets are lmore forgiving when it comes to heat expansion ans contraction there is give and they are less prone to cracking and if necessary easier to repairr

If warranty is your l biggest concern, then look no farther than Vermont made woodstock stoves. They have the best warranty in the business and probably the best customer satisfaction. Yes there is another soapstove stove. You are lucky there not all that far away from you atleast within the state.

You came here looking for info honest oppinions. Judge stoves by fire box size. Everyone here knows manufactures over state claims., It seems that you have already experienced dealer BS. and are questioning Manufacture BS. Ask away here so that you can weed out and reconize future BS.

Again not so much model or manufactures specific, because That quad you are looking at is a fine quality stove. Should you purchase it rest assured you bought quality and a good manufacturer behind it. You also should be looking at the dealer retailer that will preform warranty work should you need it. Ones that start out with the BS should be eliminated, because when you need them, they are practice in dispencing more BS.

Good luck in your decision making.. PS it is easier to half load a larger stove to take the chill off in not so cold night. than running a smaller stove full tilt when temps dip below zero

BTW the .75 GPH is not a miss print. CFM is a Canadian based publicially traded company that bought out Vermont casting is 1996 Threw all the financial hardships and owner buyouts the Bethel and Randolth plants never shut down. Today they rus three shifts casting stoves and even frying pans.

heres a link http://www.woodstove.com/

i have no exp with them, but have read nothing but high praise for them. if i was going to get a stove i would seriously look into these. not sure if the style is what your looking for. can't go wrong with the quad either. best of luck with the new house, exciting times for you and your family. keep us posted on the solar when you move forward with that.

elkimmeg, good info, thanks. Looking at the firebox size and EPA rating as opposed to the specs makes a lot of sense... It sounds like you have a Defiant, or sell them? The dustless ash system sounds great if it works as advertised; it would be a shame to build this new house and start filling it with ashes immediately. It definitely comes with a lot of features that's for sure, and I like the intentions behind trying to give true specs to their customers as opposed to inflated numbers to look good... That said, even looking in the database of ratings here there are a couple people who have had problems, compared to the 4300 which looks like it has gotten all 1s across the board for satisfaction with the unit itself and the manufacturer (I think one person might have rated the manufacturer as a 2, I'd have to look).

The comment about me cracking the stove in 5 years and 1 day was more a murphy's law type comment than an indication of my confidence in being able to use the stove properly (most of the warrantees were quoted to me as 5 years).

The Woodstock stoves look a little small. I'm going to have to go back in and look at the soapstone stoves again - I really didn't like the look of them initially, but the idea of a lower heat longer radiation stove sounds good for our purposes...

Pacific Energy - I hadn't seen them before. Looking at the shots online they seem like good looking stoves, both the Alderlea and the Summit (obviously very different styles but I like the looks of both). Unfortunately it looks like there's no dealer here in VT, and I'm so swamped I'd be surprised if I get the time to go to NH just to look at a stove... Too bad :(

Vintage - I'm currently outside of Burlington, but we're moving down to Addison - down towards your neck of the woods... We're about equidistant to Middlebury, Vergennes and Bristol. My wife grew up in Sudbury (near Whitehall) and, among other things, we're moving closer to her folks (now that there's a little one running around our house). Grandparents who like to babysit isn't something to pass up lightly!

Unfortunately rating are slanted. it seems that ones that have axes to gring post the milloins of satisified owners are just enjoying the heat and have not found Hearth,com

Yes there was a problem when CFM first took over they milked the company reputation with out quality control. That was in the 90's Its 2007 and Vc is makeing the cleanest burning stoves ever tested by the EPA.Gone are the original cast of CFM Look at the ratings and see how many concerns there about the Defiant aFTER 2003 I DO NOT SELL STOVES NOR AM I CONNECTED TO CFM I'M A NATIONAL CERTIFIED BUILDING AND MECHANICAL INSPECTOR. I do not profit from any company stove sale. Besides this 35 years of wood burning experience. If anything I am guilty of supporting American manufacturing anf Jobs Maybe i should supply the link to the DVD plant tour so you can decide As for the dustless ash removal no embelishment there just facts from personal experience I bought a Resolute Acclaim from the Chimney sweep in Shelburn If you wait till Aug you should be able to take advantage in their tent sales.

also as you guessed not the best typist or speller

Not to discourage you from getting a Quadrafire. They're made in WA state, and are good stoves. But PE and Napoleon stoves also have a good reputation. There are several PE dealers in VT and more in NH:

Country Stoves
43A Woodstock Avenue
Rutland, Vermont
USA 05701
phone: 802-775-6289

Montpielier Stove Works
178 River Road
Montpielier, Vermont
USA 05601
phone: 802-229-0150

Proctor Gas, Inc.
2 Market Street
Proctor, Vermont
USA 05765
phone: 802-459-3340

Stove & Flag Works
1757 Essex Road
Williston, Vermont
USA 05495
phone: 802-878-5526

Thanks BeGreen - they need to fix their website, there's not a single one listed when you search for vermont in their dealer locator...

I was looking at Stove & Flag Works just a couple days ago - strange I didn't notice the PE stoves (and they didn't mention them). I'd definitely like to look at them in person.

Burnin up VT said:
Thanks BeGreen - they need to fix their website, there's not a single one listed when you search for vermont in their dealer locator...

It looks like they have recently updated the site. This sounds like a browser compatibility issue. You might want to email the webmaster there and let them know your browser specifics. It works ok in SeaMonkey (Mozilla) which is what I'm currently using and Internet Explorer 6.0 (Win) and Safari (Mac).

FWIW, our local dealer is small and doesn't carry PE on the floor either. But our next door neighbor got his stove there last fall. They are very happy with it.

elkimmeg said:
Here is an interesting link
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3397773981046662187
I think this stove dealer is near you They have Aug. summer tent sales of demos and selloff last years inventory

They also refurbish stoves for sale
http://www.chimsweep.com/usedstoves.shtml

I love that video. It's especially neat that they have such an incredible foundry. You get to see the stove being born out of fire. Cool factory. I like the assembly part too.

The used prices seem a bit high. They have the original Resolute listed for a lot more than I paid new for the stove in 1979, but maybe there is some bargaining room?

The Quad 4300 ("the cube") is a monster heater. It should do you just fine. good clearances, easy cleaning, easy baffle repairs.
Excellent choice. Not as pretty as the Cast Iron stoves, but way more durable and sturdy. Try it without the blower, you may never need one, and you can always add later. ;-)

The first ACC i Did the customer freaked about the stove ticking. It is a little wierd.

bceureka said:
The first ACC i Did the customer freaked about the stove ticking. It is a little wierd.

Level the stove. Steel stoves "talk" to ya a lot less when they are dead level.

BrotherBart said:
bceureka said:

Level the stove. Steel stoves "talk" to ya a lot less when they are dead level.

No no BB, he's talking about the new timer that controls the start-up air. You push the rear air control all the way in to activate the timer and then set it to the level you want. After the timer counts down it shuts the start up air shutter and the stove burns at the settings you left it at.

Status
Not open for further replies.