New home and new builder grade prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireman176

Nov 20, 2019
Pace, Florida
Builder installed a Hearth and Home Technologies heatalator EL36 into a new home and I want to install a wood burning insert. My understanding of what I have read, I will need a stainless steel 6 inch liner dropped down into the new 8 inch existing liner and a new cap. The fireplace has a slight offset, so liner needs to be flexible. I will probably opt for the Drolet model DB03125 insert that my local Lowes offers for the price. Question is, can this be installed into a prefab unit such as the model I have, and where is the best place to order everything to complete the liner install?

Attachments

• IMG_20191118_100717.jpg
    IMG_20191118_100717.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20191118_095838.jpg
    IMG_20191118_095838.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 88
You CANNOT install a wood burning insert in this model.
That information is on page 2 of the manual:

1574291549245.png

I called the Company and spoke with a technician and they stated that I could install an insert and even recommended some models from a sister Company. I am confused now!

I called the Company and spoke with a technician and they stated that I could install an insert and even recommended some models from a sister Company. I am confused now!
The manual for your fireplace clearly says no insert. There really is no way around that

Understandable. If you have your install inspected, the manual will be asked for & it will probably not pass.

What company told you that you could install an insert?

They do have an exception in the statement:
DO NOT USE A FIREPLACE INSERT OR OTHER PRODUCTS NOT SPECIFIED FOR USE WITH THIS PRODUCT.

I would expect other HHT inserts by the Heatilator or Quadrafire inserts might qualify. What did the Customer Service tech recommend?

Considering this is new construction, would the builder exchange this unit for a high-efficiency EPA ZC fireplace? That could be a nicer solution. It would afford a larger firebox, bigger fire view and the potential to duct heat to another part of the house.

I am sorry I just read the manual. Page 33 says it can be done.

I haven't looked at the latest Drolet Escape 1800i manual but that insert used to be for a masonry fireplace only. The Lopi 1750 does specify for use in Heatilator prefab. fireplace. Wondering about the Quadrafire 2700i?

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering if the Heatilator WS-18 insert would fit.

They did mention Quadrafire was the sister company of theirs, and their insert would work in their fireplaces
You need to have them send you an official list of specified inserts and choose from them

I am wondering WHY they would contradict their manual, even though I haven't read that part yet.
They didn't. They warn against using an insert not specified for use in this product. The Drolet is an example of such an unspecified stove.