New House with Fireplace; Lots of smoke :-|

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the fireplace is in a bedroom?
Doh, confused this with another thread. Never mind.;em

I am surprised that an outside air supply was not required for tight new construction.

"I am surprised that an outside air supply was not required for tight new construction."

He does have this: I'm just not sure how effective it is.

The fireplace ash dump has a little door inside that connects to outside air. You can see a vent in the brick from the outside. This will let in fresh air but presumably need to keep the ash dump door open for this air to come in. When doing so however, there is a small wind and ash blows around and into the room.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that could be classified as a fresh air intake, since it sounds like the ash dump door needs to be open for it to let air in - and I don't think you'd want to burn with the ash dump door open?Actually, likely wouldn't want it open at all except when dumping ashes? Definitely sounds like a setup I haven't seen before.

I'm a bit surprised that code would allow a fireplace in the bedroom of a tight new house, especially without an outside air supply.
it does not allow it at all.

'm not sure that could be classified as a fresh air intake, since it sounds like the ash dump door needs to be open for it to let air in - and I don't think you'd want to burn with the ash dump door open?Actually, likely wouldn't want it open at all except when dumping ashes? Definitely sounds like a setup I haven't seen before.
It is not an ash dump it is an air intake with an ash dump door over it we see them all the time. The problem is that they simply do not supply enough air to make any difference.

Reactions: Ashful
Also curious what the primary heating source is.
Me too. If it's a fossil-burning furnace that vents outside and takes from inside, that's just one more source of negative pressure. If it's just a circulating electric furnace like we have, it shouldn't be a problem.

OK - I will certainly take your word for it. I was just going by what was previously posted.

Would like to see a pic though, just not quite picturing it in my head.

Our pre-fab Heatilator ambiance appliance has an outside air intake with a flapper door you open when burning - it's only a 4" hole & pipe. Pretty sure it pulls most of the air from the warm living room through the glass door gaps & other vented locations.

EDIT: Typed too slow - hot topic. That was for:

It is not an ash dump it is an air intake with an ash dump door over it we see them all the time. The problem is that they simply do not supply enough air to make any difference.

stevenriz-

In our house I crack a window for the 1st few minutes when I'm starting a fire. If not, there's a chance I'll get a smoker (alarms going off and bunch of smoke in the house). I also make sure there's no bath fans or cooktop fan running. Once I get the fire going I close the window and don't worry about the fans.

Did you find out the purpose of the exhaust fan in the laundry room? Having a fan running all the time does not make sense. You said you found the switch for it, which is good. Just curious what the purpose is in a new house.

OK - I will certainly take your word for it. I was just going by what was previously posted.

Would like to see a pic though, just not quite picturing it in my head.

Our pre-fab Heatilator ambiance appliance has an outside air intake with a flapper door you open when burning - it's only a 4" hole & pipe. Pretty sure it pulls most of the air from the warm living room through the glass door gaps & other vented locations.
I just re read the op and you are right it seems like they have an ash dump that has fresh air supplied to it in some way. I have seen that occasionally as well but not as common. But regardless even if the vent was the size of that ash dump door it would not be able to supply enough air.

stevenriz-

In our house I crack a window for the 1st few minutes when I'm starting a fire. If not, there's a chance I'll get a smoker (alarms going off and bunch of smoke in the house). I also make sure there's no bath fans or cooktop fan running. Once I get the fire going I close the window and don't worry about the fans.

Did you find out the purpose of the exhaust fan in the laundry room? Having a fan running all the time does not make sense. You said you found the switch for it, which is good. Just curious what the purpose is in a new house.

A switch located on the fan itself is basically a fan that runs all the time - you wouldn't be wanting to reach for the ceiling to turn it off & on, quite a difference from a wall switch.

Every time I read one of these threads, I think life in my inefficient old house isn't so bad. Two stoves, dryers, range hood, bathroom exhaust fans, radon systems... all running at the same time with no issues. ;lol

Reactions: Sprinter
Every time I read one of these threads, I think life in my inefficient old house isn't so bad. Two stoves, dryers, range hood, bathroom exhaust fans, radon systems... all running at the same time with no issues. ;lol
But I gotta ask: How many stoves and how much wood? Just being devil's advocate here (in jest)...

But I often wonder if all this ultra-tight construction is often overdone, especially when you have to defeat some of it with fans, expensive air exchangers, etc. Good insulation and reasonable sealing for excess drafts I get, but sometimes I think it's done to excess. Am I alone here, or just out of it?

Last edited:
Love the replies thank you! Yes our last house must have been so drafty but the fireplace worked great along with the dryer, stove hood that vented outside and 3 bathroom fans!

From what I understand the 24/7 fan was to allow a change of air. Where the air comes from? I don't know, might it seems to be taking oxygen from us, come to think of it I've been sleeping a lot lately. hmmmm :)

the fan has controls on it for constant on, or timed use, so we can program it to come on for 5 minutes every 20 minutes etc...

Have a nice fire Sunday with no problems. We are just aware that the house isn't as tight as it was, but like some of you posted, I would rather that. I'll see if we really spend that much more on propane. We have propane hot air heat and hot water.

I still plan to send pics!!

A change of air is needed on a new tight house, but it needs to be balanced with a source of intake air. That is the HRV approach - or just a straight exchanger with no HR, but that will waste more heat. (I have an HRV, they aren't really that expensive, should be less than 1k).

I think I would run that setup past the builder again. With an exhaust fan that runs that much, and no balanced source of intake air - that could create a situation where your propane exhaust could get pulled into the house. Which would not be good. Let alone the fireplace situation - and your fireplace experience so far does seem to show your house is pretty tight and you need a balanced intake air solution. Simply not running the fan won't do much for indoor air quality.

But I gotta ask: How many stoves and how much wood? Just being devil's advocate here (in jest)...
I hope to publish those numbers this spring, if we get a good (read "normal") winter, this year. With two Jotul Firelights, I was doing 10 cords + 1000 gallons oil + $250/month electric (lighting and heating together). I believe my numbers are lower with switching to two BK's, but last year was so freakishly warm that I wasn't able to gather any reasonably comparable data.

Status
Not open for further replies.