New info on SIB website - Pre-Pay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
I noticed that they have a "SPRING PROMOTIONAL OFFER." You can pre-pay for your pellets for next years heating season now and they will store them inside for you for up to 6 months. I don't think I will ever pre-pay for heating fuel, whether it be oil, cord wood, or wood pellets. There have been too many horror stories about people pre-paying for pellets and not getting what they paid for. How about all of the oil companies that have gone out of business leaving people who pre-paid for their oil without anything to show for it?

http://site.sibwoodpellets.com/Home.php

They started out delivering MWP Blend for $199/ton and that included hand stacking the pellets where you wanted them. Because of the good reviews and friendly service, last year I ordered from them and I had a good experience. The price last spring was $235 for the MWP softies and $224 for the MWP Blend. When scheduling my delivery last year, I asked about how they handled payment for the pellets. I was told that they do not accept pre-payment. They would only accept payment after the pellets were delivered.

About a month ago, I called to put my name on the list for some of the MWP softies. However, there were two things that I was disappointed to hear about when I called.

I was warned that the price was $259 at the end of last year. Not sure what the price will be in April when they start receiving the shipments from the MWP but I have a feeling they aren't going to be the $235 that they were last year. We'll have to wait and see on this one. Also, there is now a $25 delivery charge per load (not per ton). So, last year I bought the MWP Blend for $215/ton including delivery. This year the current price is $224/ton plus $25 for delivery.

Having said all that - I do like supporting him as a small local business. I also had a pleasant experience purchasing from SIBs last year. Not sure how much longer if at all I will be buying from them. This winter I could have bought MWP blend, which burn just fine in my stove, all year long for $197/ton without any coupons or discounts if I wanted to with very minimal effort on my part.

I did the same as you last year, buying the MWP Blend at $215/ton including delivery.

This year, I'm sorry but I'm going to buy pellets from whoever has the deal, whether it's local or big box.

I'm all for the whole "support local business" but more often than not buying local means paying more. That's a lot to ask in the current environment, but I do understand it goes both ways and businesses are struggling as well.

I did the same as you last year, buying the MWP Blend at $215/ton including delivery.

This year, I'm sorry but I'm going to buy pellets from whoever has the deal, whether it's local or big box.

I'm all for the whole "support local business" but more often than not buying local means paying more. That's a lot to ask in the current environment, but I do understand it goes both ways and businesses are struggling as well.
Im not gonna blame you for going to a box store to save money. Afterall, Most of us are using pellet stoves to save money right? I might also be doing the same thing.

I bought 2 tons of softies from SIB last year at $235. I bought all my blend at HD for $178 with military discount. I also tried some FSU's and Stove Chow from HD and have no problem with either of them, so I doubt I'll be buying from Steve this year at those prices. Been 4 years since my last raise and it will be at least another 2 before I get one, so as much as I like buying local, can't afford to do it any more.

Don't wanna wish anybody bad luck, so I'll just say "Good luck with THAT, Steve"...............

Sounds like he might not have enough cash to buy stock, and this is his way of raising it. Working on float with his customers' money? I wouldn't go near that.

My dad used to deliver heating oil. One year his boss took money for pre-buys, but waited on actually buying the oil. Thought price would go down and he'd make more money. Price went nowhere but up, and eventually he wound up losing .50/gal for all his pre-buy sales.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Received an email from Steve today, after not hearing anything.........

Basically said that MWP Softies were $259 at the end of last year (like everyone has been saying), but "the mill has not released their prices for the softwood yet", and there is a "$60 drop charge for delivery to Limerick". He expects to have them by the end of April, beginning of May.

Guess that answers that question ~ now to find a new pellet/dealer.

Guess that answers that question ~ now to find a new pellet/dealer.

I'm afraid Steve is going to be selling a lot fewer pellets this year than he has in the past.

I wish him nothing but the best and will wait maybe his prices will be better than anyone else's time will tell
True. Time will tell. Maybe his price will be lower than last fall. We don't know yet. I have my name on the list for two tons. I made it clear that I might back out of them completely once they told me what they will be charging and was told that would be Ok. First one to get the call and post here wins a sticker! :)

Yup. I see the big box stores getting more business this year.

I e-mailed Scot L at MWP and asked him that. I heven't gotten a response yet.

I have ordered from SIB for the last two years and he has always done well by me as he has others. With that said keeping cost down is important, so guess I need to be looking around. I know Walmart has the MWP blend, but how do you guys go about getting them home from Walmart? I know HD will deliver but I am sure there is a charge for it.

I heard recently that MWP might not be running the softwood pellets this year. To many orders for the mix, and a special bag for one of the stores, TSC i think.

I heard recently that MWP might not be running the softwood pellets this year. To many orders for the mix, and a special bag for one of the stores, TSC i think.

SIB is already taking orders for the softwoods, so I'm assuming they will be making them.

I know Walmart has the MWP blend, but how do you guys go about getting them home from Walmart? I know HD will deliver but I am sure there is a charge for it.

There is a delivery charge at HD. Didn't know Walmart sold them because I won't go near the place. As for getting them home, buy as many bags as your car, truck, van etc. can hold and take them home. HD was selling them for the same per bag price as a ton.

I have ordered from SIB for the last two years and he has always done well by me as he has others. With that said keeping cost down is important, so guess I need to be looking around. I know Walmart has the MWP blend, but how do you guys go about getting them home from Walmart? I know HD will deliver but I am sure there is a charge for it.

I live about a mile from TSC that has MWP I make three trips with the car or two trips with my crappy trailer.

Ive heard alot of good things about SIB's, but, evenso, not a fan of paying now for promises later, especially given the factors which CAN be out of control....for instance, a mill burning down, or a retailer fire, etc.....and this is NO reflection a all on SIB's

Ive heard alot of good things about SIB's, but, evenso, not a fan of paying now for promises later, especially given the factors which CAN be out of control....for instance, a mill burning down, or a retailer fire, etc.....and this is NO reflection a all on SIB's
No need to worry, I stopped in at there warehouse the other day. Any pre-orders he receives the pellets are stored at the shop, he showed me his inventory of all the pellets he has orders for.

Don't wanna wish anybody bad luck, so I'll just say "Good luck with THAT, Steve"...............
But it sounds like you are wishing bad luck! Ive been calling around and it still seems like the SIB's pellets are still very competitive even with the drop charges. Steve has always treated me right and I know he truly cares about his customers. If people think his "drop charge" is high call around and see what others "delivery charge" is.

No need to worry, I stopped in at there warehouse the other day. Any pre-orders he receives the pellets are stored at the shop, he showed me his inventory of all the pellets he has orders for.

Its a risk like anything else you pay for in advance if the company goes belly up its possible you will be left high and dry. Or in the cold in this case.

So, are you saying that you went through all his orders, or that he showed you a warehouse full of pellets that he said were pre-sold?????

Status
Not open for further replies.