New Jotul 500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damp newspaper or cloth . . . I used to have to resort to dipping it in some ash for some of the stubborn areas . . . but now with good wood and burning at the proper temp usually a quick swipe with the damp newspaper or rag is all I need.

Well My DRY wood musta created to much soot as the window after i cleaned it got a rainbow looking effect , then we were warmer temps and just letting stove slow way down till evening , but the soot is baked on!! Tried the wet cloth and ashes, got a large area cleaned but around the outside edges it is hard baked on! We got cooler temps coming, so will burning harder allow easier cleaning or anybody taken the Hardened Soot off and how? Wife rearranged Furniture to view fire and Not much to view:( Thanks for all the replys:)

It all sounds fine and dandy until you decide to upgrade a few years down the road and try to sell a 9 year old stove verses what should of been a 3 year old stove. Keep the documentation just in case you try to sell the stove later on.

Wow, Saw Somebody said use "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power" to clean Glass, got one, Was Awesome as wet Mr. Clean Sponge, and it took away the Soot off like it wasnt even there, it was a Schock after I spent an Hr. the other nite working hard to clean window, the newspaper wet with ashes , didnt work for Me, finally got 3/4 clean with soap n water, Very Tuff!! The Sponge cuts it off like wasnt even there:)

Yaker,

Congratulations on your new stove. I know you have an issue with the 2006 v 2011. But as Craig said, I don't think there is much difference, if any, between them. So your issue may be a technicality more than substantive. If it was a car, than that would be a different matter and there would be substantive differences. It is also no excuse for the dealer to be a bonehead.

I have a 2008 Olso and it is a great stove with great looks and a great light show. Starting my third season with it and have been very happy with its performance. It just needs dry wood. Also, if you need extra air during start up, use the side door, not the ash tray door. The ash tray door can cause localized overheating quicker than you think and voids the warranty.

I hope you have a great first season. Post some pictures of your install!

Green, Thanks for Helping Me Understand how Blessed I am to have even found the Oslo and as other Fello said to rescue it from Bonehead Dealer:) Lol:) We are Hugely Impressed with it , the Ole Dutchwest Never heated like this. So we Understand the difference!! As You said the Light Show is amazing I need find the easy way to Post photos, I understand the Photobucket way and wish all forums could be that easy , just me not understanding puters:)

Status
Not open for further replies.