New member. Burnin from Scotland. Great forum !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great, man. Welcome. What kind of unit are you burning? Post some pics if you can. Are you burning 24/7 or weekends and evenings? Do many households in Glasgow burn wood for heat? Really curious and glad to hear from Scotland.

Welcome Tony, glad you found us.

Welcome to the forums !!

We love pics :)

Halò Tony, welcome. What stove are you burning in?

Its gettin a bit colder here in Bonnie Scotland, about freezin as we speak. This winters been quite mild until now. Im just burning in the evenings mostly but im enjoying it. Even the whole wood cuttin, splittin, movin, burnin cycle. Ive just bought lots of Scotch whisky casks which are about 15 years old (oak) and they burn really well. When ive been choppin them with my bench saw the smell of whisky is so strong ;) . My wife and i travel to the States every year and head down to Florida so its great to hear from you guys. God bless America !

Tonybhoy1888 said:
Its gettin a bit colder here in Bonnie Scotland, about freezin as we speak. This winters been quite mild until now. Im just burning in the evenings mostly but im enjoying it. Even the whole wood cuttin, splittin, movin, burnin cycle. Ive just bought lots of Scotch whisky casks which are about 15 years old (oak) and they burn really well. When ive been choppin them with my bench saw the smell of whisky is so strong ;) . My wife and i travel to the States every year and head down to Florida so its great to hear from you guys. God bless America !

You could make a mint off those whiskey casks over here!!!!!

Welcome Tony - too bad we can't here the brogue on your posts! Cheers!

Just think how many Scotch-flavored toothpicks you could make from just one cask!

welcome tony.

Welcome Tony. Nice to hear from someone in beautiful Scotland. Enjoy your time here, many great people reside here. Happy burning

Welcome Tony to hearth.com forums!

+2000 Pics Man Pics do it for Scotland :lol:

No pics no stove my friend %-P

Pete

Welcome Tony,
I just joined myself but surfed the sight for a very long time. Lots of good folks on here. Very willing to help with any questions.

Welcome Tony. We have Woodchip on the site who regularly posts from England, and we enjoy reading how he collects wood and burns, and cooks on the stove top. Put up some pics and give us an idea what burning is like over there.

Scotch toothpicks. Why didnt i think of that :)
I'll get some pictures on soon guys of my stove and where i live. Im just gettin the hang of this forum so bear with me. Hopefully its a bit warmer where u guys are, ive just went out to start my car and let it heat up before i head to work and its -2.
thanx again.

My only recollections of Scotland were in the summer- seems a sort of spinny country and everyone had a twin. I may have been drunk.

There's a great resale value here for casks- especially if they held scotch or bourbon. Post pics- very interested

Tonybhoy1888 said:
Scotch toothpicks. Why didnt i think of that :)
I'll get some pictures on soon guys of my stove and where i live. Im just gettin the hang of this forum so bear with me. Hopefully its a bit warmer where u guys are, ive just went out to start my car and let it heat up before i head to work and its -2.
thanx again.

Welcome, Tonybhoy. I take it that -2 is them Celsius degrees?

And a warm welcome from down here in balmy Dorset (37f as I type)!!!!!

If I had access to old oak whisky casks, I'd be tempted to use them for smoking meats and fish.

I'd certainly spend some time sniffing my wood pile....... ;-)

woodchip said:
And a warm welcome from down here in balmy Dorset (37f as I type)!!!!!

If I had access to old oak whisky casks, I'd be tempted to use them for smoking meats and fish.

I'd certainly spend some time sniffing my wood pile....... ;-)

Hi. How you doin. Ive actually given some bags of the sawdust to some friends to use in a smoker with great results

Welcome to the forum Tony! I seem to remember a Danube St. in Glasgow from my Navy days.. I was there in 1976 nad other then the constant rain loved Scotland!

Ray

Welcome Tony!

I see you didn't mention if the whiskey casks were empty...
It should make it more fun burning them! You would have to make sure there is enough wood to burn every night...

Matt

from one Scotsman to another...welcome to the forum !!!

I'd be aging porter in those casks. A lot of brewers are using them for aging various beers. There is a brewery in Alva, Central Scotland which makes a whiskey cask-aged porter called Ola Dubh.. its great stuff.

Welcome! Spent some time in Callander, and have been to Glasgow and Sterling areas.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.