New member needs help with VC Intrepid II in France

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

Sep 3, 2011
South of France
Don't know whether you tolerate foreigners on this forum...hope so! I'm a brit who lives mostly in france. I put in a new VC Intrepid II about 8 years ago. It's done great work every winter, but needs a full service. The installer doesn't really want to know, so have resolved, reluctantly, to do it myself. It needs new rope everywhere, plus a new catalyst and chamber. My questions are:
Do I need special sized rope? I bought some 'standard' rope from a local supermarket, but it seems as if it might be too big, as there are some leaks.
Do I replace the refractory chamber from the front or the back?
How do I remove the build up of soot fallen from the chimney and now lying behind the secondary flap?
Should I replace anything else?
Perhaps someone could guide me to a topic that addresses my problem>>
A UK supplier has quoted me £283 (abt $450) for the refractory assembly (part no 1602527). Is this reasonable?? Seems unbelievably high to me..

Look forward to hearing from someone!

If you give me about an hour I will give the the breakdown of whats needed. Making some pancakes at the moment.

Wow! That's fast! I'm in the UK at the moment, so just to warn you I won't be 'with' the stove till next week.. Anyway, I won't order the spares till I have some advice. Look forward to your reply.

Malcolm said:
Don't know whether you tolerate foreigners on this forum...hope so! I'm a brit who lives mostly in france. I put in a new VC Intrepid II about 8 years ago. It's done great work every winter, but needs a full service. The installer doesn't really want to know, so have resolved, reluctantly, to do it myself. It needs new rope everywhere, plus a new catalyst and chamber. My questions are:
Do I need special sized rope? I bought some 'standard' rope from a local supermarket, but it seems as if it might be too big, as there are some leaks.
Do I replace the refractory chamber from the front or the back?
How do I remove the build up of soot fallen from the chimney and now lying behind the secondary flap?
Should I replace anything else?
Perhaps someone could guide me to a topic that addresses my problem>>
A UK supplier has quoted me £283 (abt $450) for the refractory assembly (part no 1602527). Is this reasonable?? Seems unbelievably high to me..

Look forward to hearing from someone!

First off, here is a great place to start looking for parts: http://www.blackswanhome.com/category/vermont-castings1

You could also try Ebay, but being in France you may have issues getting sellers to ship you the parts as most state they will not ship out of the country.

You did not mention which Intrepid II you own. I'm assuming it is Model 1990. Even with shipping from the US to France, you should still be able to beat $450.

Refractory Assembly - $179.95
http://www.blackswanhome.com/product/refractory-assembly-various-models1

Catalytic Combustor - $119.95
http://www.blackswanhome.com/product/catalytic-combustor-various-models

Gaskets replacement for the doors, windows, and griddle - $26.95
http://www.blackswanhome.com/product/black-swan-gasket-kit-for-vigilant-resolute-defiant-intrepid

Give them a call, their customer service is very good.

I would also recommend replacing the gaskets behind the Fireback and the gasket that attaches to the reversible exhaust collar. I am unsure of the gasket size for either of those. Black Swan might be able to assist, but your dealer should know (though, he seems a bit lazy).

Replacing the Catalytic Combustor and the Assembly:
(This information is how it is done for the 1303 Model, which is an older model. But, based on the exploded diagrams, it seems to hold true on newer models as well.)
To replace the catalytic combustor and the assembly you will need to remove the fireback assemble and the reversible exhaust collar. For the 1303 you insert the new assembly through the top access area created by removing the reversibly flue collar.

Gasket replacement:
Remove old gaskets.
Scrape off remaining gasket cement.
Brush away debris.
Apply thin layer of gasket cement.
Place new gaskets in firmly.
Allow to dry before reassembling stove.

I'll ring Black Swan tomorrow. Their prices are far lower than UK. They don't mail outside US, but I have a friend in Greenwich Conn. who I'm sure will forward to me. However, everything seems to be out of stock, which I hope is not too serious.

The UK importer for VC has recently changed, and they seem to be in disaray.

What is the reversible exhaust collar? Is it the same as the flue collar?

I'll certainly take your advice on renewing the various gaskets.

No, my local dealer in France is worse than useless.. Your advice is very welcome indeed!

Malcolm said:
What is the reversible exhaust collar? Is it the same as the flue collar?

Yes. I used the term 'reversible' incorrectly. I was referring to the fact that the stove can be back vented or top vented depending upon the direction of the flue collar.

I have ordered parts from black swan previously. When it comes to items out of stock the turn around is usually quick. But some of it depends on VC which is hit or miss at times.

Malcolm said:
Don't know whether you tolerate foreigners on this forum...hope so! I'm a brit who lives mostly in france!

Welcome to the forum, from another Brit, who wished they lived in the South of France....... ;-)

Well, Mr Browning BAR, I now have the bits I need, and hope my order was complete. Ordered from the US and delivered to me in S of France.... beautifully packed and all seems in good condition I will start to take the Intrepid II apart tomorrow, and may need your help!, or indeed anyone elses.... I have refractory unit, secondary probe, catalyst amd gasket kit. Hope thats all I need. I'll start by taking off the flue cover and seeing whether I can get to the refractory unit from there.

Malcolm said:
Well, Mr Browning BAR, I now have the bits I need, and hope my order was complete. Ordered from the US and delivered to me in S of France.... beautifully packed and all seems in good condition I will start to take the Intrepid II apart tomorrow, and may need your help!, or indeed anyone elses.... I have refractory unit, secondary probe, catalyst amd gasket kit. Hope thats all I need. I'll start by taking off the flue cover and seeing whether I can get to the refractory unit from there.

That's great Malcolm where did you find a retailer to send to France? Good luck with the repairs and be sure to post pics..

Ray

raybonz said:
Malcolm said:

That's great Malcolm where did you find a retailer to send to France? Good luck with the repairs and be sure to post pics..

Ray

I believe he ordered from Black Swan and had a friend ship it from the states to France.

Malcolm said:

I'm glad it worked out.

Getting the Assembly to fit in properly can be a bit of a challenge.

BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:
Malcolm said:

Ray

I believe he ordered from Black Swan and had a friend ship it from the states to France.

Oh yes I remember that now that you mention it.. Thanks for the info..

Ray

As a matter fact, it wasn't Black Swan in the end, they were not so helpful. I used a co called The Trading Post, New Milford, CT, who were very helpful and efficient. They packed everything up real well, and got the pieces in 48 hrs.. My friend went over to pick them up and sent them himself. Can't believe the refractory block is so big. Putting off starting as I'm servicing the tractor!! I'll try to get to grips with sending photos..

Malcolm said:
As a matter fact, it wasn't Black Swan in the end, they were not so helpful. I used a co called The Trading Post, New Milford, CT, who were very helpful and efficient. They packed everything up real well, and got the pieces in 48 hrs.. My friend went over to pick them up and sent them himself. Can't believe the refractory block is so big. Putting off starting as I'm servicing the tractor!! I'll try to get to grips with sending photos..

Nice, what is their website? I always need a good source of VC parts.

pix or you're in Pittsburgh . . .

Malcolm said:
Don't be jealous, you've got Poole Harbour.....

Where in southern France is this?

BrowningBAR said:
Malcolm said:

Nice, what is their website? I always need a good source of VC parts.

Are they related to the Preston Trading Post in Preston, Connecticut?

Ugly website, but also very good folks for Jotul and Morso parts:
http://www.prestontradingpost.com/

Right. I've now exposed the refractory chamber, which although a little eroded, is not too bad.

Also need to know how to inspect the secondary probe. My Intrepid is 1990 model, so access is from the front to replace cat (Which certainly needs doing). The bit sticking through the rear of the chamber looks OK, but I want to make sure rest of it is undamaged and in proper working order. (Ihave a new one if rquired). I cannot see how to get to the back of the probe....

trying to post photos..! I've browse, selected, then pressed Preview Post as requested between each of 4 pics, but can't see them anywhere. Where am I going wrong..??

Lets see if I've succeeded in posting a photo....

Attachments

• Small refrac 2.jpg
    Small refrac 2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 371
Seem to have goot the hang of sending phoyos, so here is the refractory chamber just after removing lower fireback, and one of the catalyst... I'll definitely change the catalyst, and I guess the refractory chamber as well as I have a new one ready to install. Earlier picture is after i cleaned it all out. Doesn't look too eroded.... but probably best to change anyway. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Just opened refrac.jpg
    Just opened refrac.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Smaller cat3.jpg
    Smaller cat3.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 278
Status
Not open for further replies.