New member needs help with VC Intrepid II in France

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Malcolm said:
Seem to have goot the hang of sending phoyos, so here is the refractory chamber just after removing lower fireback, and one of the catalyst... I'll definitely change the catalyst, and I guess the refractory chamber as well as I have a new one ready to install. Earlier picture is after i cleaned it all out. Doesn't look too eroded.... but probably best to change anyway. Any thoughts?

You really need to use drier wood.

Clean out all that creosote and then determine is the assembly is in decent shape.

The wood I use here is mostly ilex (evergreen or holme oak), about 2 yrs old, but sometimes i burn 6 month old ash or even mimosa, so a bit of new-ish damp wood does get in, but rarely.

maybe the reason for the dramatic build up is the fact that the stove is 10 yrs old, and has only bee cleaned up once about 5 yrs ago. The cat you see there is the original..

Malcolm said:
The first picture posted is indeed after I cleaned it up. Nothing seems distorted, apart from the cat and the refrac chamber.

<aybe it's the photo, but their still seems like a lot of gunk in the chamber.

I'm seriously thinking of going the whole hog here and taking off the damper housing which I suppose I have to do to put in the new refractory chamber and to change the secondary probe. That way I can give everything the serious wire brush treatment, and renew all the seals. I think I'll also have to remove the flue collar... what do you think? I am NOT really skilled at this sort of thing, but reasonably handy and methodical...

Has anyone got any views as to whether I should change the refrac chamber and secondary probe?

I feel that now I have dismantled the stove enough to see the refrac chamber, and I have a new one as well as a new secondary probe, I might as well disconnect the chimney, take the stove outside (over 80 here at the moment, and set fair for the week...) and change the refrac chamber and secondary probe while I can, instead of hoping everything is Ok with just a new cat, then regretting it next year..

I can clean the whole thing carefully, renew every seal in sight, and hopefully not need to worry about it for a few years.

the one unknown is the secondary probe. I have no idea where it is, even, as the stove is only about 8 inches from the fire back and I can't get my head behind to see properly. I can feel a horizontal slot at the bottom middle, abt 6 ins long and an eighth high, and if I stick my finger in, there is a rod running along it which appears to be connected only at one end. Is this the secondary air link? If so, I guess something is wrong if it is only connected at one end. How do I access this to check and fix if necessary? If I have to go in from the back, then I have to move the stove.

Any ideas, whatever, most welcome!!

Attachments

• Quizzical.jpg
    Quizzical.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 169
Just to finish of this thread, in the end I only changed the Cat.. Secondary probe seemed OK, and chamber not too bad. Front panel had a hairline fracture and would not stay in place when when new cat installed, so I put 2 tiny dabs of glue on to keep it in place. Gave it a test firing, and it seems to work very well. So thanks everyone, and stay warm....

Malcom,

I've not posted in your thread previously because I know nothing about your stove - however - in your last post mentioned you used a bit of glue to hold a piece in place. I've only ever heard of using furnace cement on stoves - hopefully someone else will chime in here with specifics.

In the mean time - you are most welcome here on hearth.com. Post of a picture of that beautiful install you have there. We love pictures!

snowleopard said:
pix or you're in Pittsburgh . . .

lmao.....very funny. :)

glad all worked out

cass

Should have mentioned, but I did use furnace cement, the stuff I used to renew the gaskets. As for photos, there is one in the thread somewhere with me sitting rather forlornly beside it...!

Status
Not open for further replies.