New Member with a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlong97150

Dec 20, 2012
Hoopeston, IL
Had the guys from Illinois Corn Stoves out today to install their stove in my shop. I am like a kid in a candy store right now. :)

This is replacing a waste oil furnace and I surely wont miss the mess dealing with motor oil and the constant tinkering.

Many thanks to "jrsdws" for the words of encouragement on this stove. Its only running on one pot at the moment and the shop is warming up. My shop is a heavily insulated 2700 sq feet FBI building so it isnt going to take much to keep it warm. I am sure it would run me outta here if I ran both pots.

Will attempt to attach a pic so you know it happened.

Thanks

Bob

Attachments

• ICS001.JPG
    ICS001.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 139
Stove on wheels??? What will they think of next. Welcome and good luck with the heater.

I think that is the only reason. This is a commercial stove and can be moved to where you need the heat. Or moved out of the way in the off season. I think it tips the scales at 800lbs with nothing in the 300lb hopper.

Thanks

Bob

How does it vent?

Attach a motor and some steering and watch out, here comes Bob.

Welcome to the funny farm, enjoy the heat and please put something around those wheels so it can't get away from ya ;).

Reactions: jtakeman
Holy heat exchanger convection tubes Batman _g

Jrsdws said there are 34 heat exchange tubes!!! Yep.... 34 of them.

But this thing has 2 pots and capable of 180,000 BTU when cranked up!!

Congrats on the new stove. I know that Jrsdws loves his "Beast" as he calls it.

Love the Beast!!

Bob...use a refrigerator magnet and cover the air inlet on the opposite side you're burning on when using just one pot. It might be slightly less air, but it is delivered faster to the pot you are using and really helps that fire out a lot and produces more heat. Lots of little tips and tricks with such a basic burner, but it always comes down to air flow.

I'm going to run over and get some of Blunk's pellets tomorrow or Friday. Did you get any to try?

Yes, he gave me 10 bags of them and 10 bags of corn. I will pick up a pallet of them this week as well while I wait on corn. Jim says they burn hotter than standard wood pellets I believe they are marketed as bedding pellets and are biomass. I don't have anything to compare them to. This is my first stove and it's been running for all of 6 hrs. I am a true newbie.

Yeah he says that because he's selling them. :rolleyes: He wouldn't share much information with me, but there is a pellet mill a couple of hours south of him that makes biomass pellets and briquettes.

Here is an exerpt from an article about the plant I think he's buying from: "manufactures its products using proprietary patent-protected processes that combine shredded corn and soybean waste stocks, as well as shredded dry waste products and other naturally dried grasses and renewable feedstocks."

I would think corn stover and shredded bean stalks, grass, etc. would make for some pretty high ash pellets.

But what the heck...it the price is right and I'm game to try nearly anything! Have you burned any of these straight without a corn mix yet?

I'm glad your beast is serving you well. It's a good heater for your application and you won't be disappointed.

Let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.