New Member with alot of Questions???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmdakk

Aug 29, 2011
W Va
Hi all I found this forum while searching for some answers to a couple of questionsabout a fireplace insert. Here is My dilemma.

I purchased a 2001 Clayton doublewide (28x54) last year to replace my old dilapadated 1974 12x60 singlewide. The clayton has a fireplace (which we love) and we used it last year, alot. But it is just a fireplace and alot of my heat goes out the top. I am looking to purchase an insert to fit into the fireplace. First Question. Is my Doublewide considered a mobile home?. I have seen that there are some "mobile home approved" inserts. Is this something I will need.

Now a little background on what it appears to be what I have. From what I am reading on this site. It has an OAK. on the back of the fireplace, on the bottom there is a hose(6") coming out and going down through the floor. The chimney is double wall piping 8"( I Assume, the sticker on the pipe says Desa Part# 24-8dm). and says something to the effect of 2" clearance. I have the wall took apart to be able to access the back side of the fireplace, and will get some pics posted later this evening. The fireplace itself is 39" wide and 33" tall, with the hearth being the concrete board that looks like stone. again I will take some pics so you know exactly what I am talking about.

Is an insert in my future? what kinda insert do I need? any help would be appreciated. Thanks Bryan

Love the site by the way!!!!!!!!

Welcome . . . I don't have all the answers for you . . . but yes, a doublewide is considered a mobile home by most towns and cities -- at least here in Maine.

And don't worry . . . other folks with more smarts than me will be along shortly to help answer your other questions.

Welcome to the forum. We'll need some specifics on the prefab fireplace to know if it has the potential for an insert. Look to see if there is a make model tag at the bottom corner or on the back. The piping is air cooled and not class A. It's UL127 listed 1700 degree pipe that will require a liner. If the fireplace qualifies, we'll need the firebox dimensions too - L + W + D.

BeGreen, Thanks for the reply the model Number on the fireplace is: Coleman 36ecm11 the measurement of the fire box are 34" wide at the opening 17" at the far back and 17" deep. kinda shaped like a trapezoid.

I have also noticed that the firebrick that lines the back of this fireplace is cracked in a couple of places.

The Regency is a good unit, but what needs to be determined is whether your fireplace meets the requirements and whether it would fit:

1) The insert must be tested and meet the
requirements of UL 1482 (U.S.) and or ULC
S628 (Canada) when tested in a masonry
fireplace built per ULC S628.

If the existing unit is in bad shape it may be safer to tear it out and put a freestanding stove in.

LOL Thats all Greek to me. do you think with the bricks being cracked I would just be better off tearing my old one out and building a new one? I like the looks of the fireplace and not so much of a freestanding wood burner. want to do what is safest, had a chimney fire last year scared the bejesus out of me.

A picture will help. I would also take a screwdriver and poke at the corners, side and back of the fireplace to check it's integrity. It would also be a good idea to have a qualified stove shop check it out. Do you have a Buck or a Regency dealer in your area?

Take a look at the gallery here for freestanding stove installations. With a nice hearth they can look great. You could also put in a modern, EPA zero-clearance fireplace replacement, but it will be a bit more costly depending on the choice.

I will get some pics up this evening, My daughter has my camera. As far as a dealer Im not sure havent check Yet. I like to have a little bit of Knowledge of what I would like before I go in Blind. Ill check the Gallery, and let the wife see what she likes, after all she is TTHE BOSS> LOL Thanks

bmdakk, Welcome to the forum. Take your time and educate yourself. Their are lots of options and this place can help you a lot. As BG has said, to start with, it would probably be a good idea to have a good dealer or chimney sweep take a look at what you have. They can give you sound advise based on a lot of knowledge.

pics

Attachments

• 100_0952.jpg
    100_0952.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 356
Is your "Doublewide" on a Slab of Concrete or is it on a Permant basement? That is what makes the difference to Ins companies and our zoning inspectors around here. If on a basement/laid and bolted, its not considered a "Mobile Home". It is in fact a standard fixed residence. At least in our township. On Dirt or a Slab, its Mobile.

the double wide is on a "permanent foundation" full footer with concrete runners on block with a block perimeter.

Attachments

• 100_0955.jpg
    100_0955.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 329
the double wide is on a "permanent foundation" full footer with concrete runners on block with a block perimeter. more pics.

Attachments

• 100_0955.jpg
    100_0955.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 340
Quick tip. If you hit "Preview Post" instead of "Submit Post". You can fit up to 8 Image attachments on one Post. Little faster that way.

It's good that there is no rust apparent, so far I am not seeing anything disastrous here. An insert will need a full liner inside the Desa pipe. And you will need to watch clearances to combustibles like the mantel. It may need a heat shield. Next, see your local dealers and confirm their insert will work. The height of the opening and depth will decide what fits. Another insert you might look at would be the Napoleon 1402.

Yes, though it sounds like with your home on a permanent foundation that it'ss definitely no longer mobile. Check with your local permitting authority and insurance co. to be sure.

I thought "Mobile home approved" meant the type of home it was, not whether it is "mobile" or not. I am a little confused, Sorry. I will get with my insurance Co to verify.

bmdakk said:
LOL Thats all Greek to me. do you think with the bricks being cracked I would just be better off tearing my old one out and building a new one? I like the looks of the fireplace and not so much of a freestanding wood burner. want to do what is safest, had a chimney fire last year scared the bejesus out of me.

That's what I'd look into. Tear it out and replace it with a good efficient fireplace. Some even have ducts that can blow heat into other rooms. Check out RSF or Fireplace Xtrodinair.

If I opt to put an insert in , is it something I can do myself or should I have it done? I got rough estimate from a dealer on a regency i2400 installed with SS liner at $4000.

Status
Not open for further replies.