New Pellet Stove Owner DIY install Vent Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfador

Oct 18, 2014
MA
Hi everyone! Apologies if this has been answered before, but searching hear and image searching on google yielded no results.

Just purchased and England 25 PDVC in hopes of making my house more cozy this winter but likely not as the sole heat source. At any rate, I'm having a bit of a pickle when it comes to picking a place to vent it. I have windows EVERYWHERE. Getting the 4 ft to the side or below per the manual seems almost impossible without having to put it in a weird spot in the house and from what I've been told local permitting will basically follow the instructions as if it were the bible when issuing the permit (South shore MA)

However, I believe I've come up with a solution, and I don't think it's too crazy. I'm just trying to make sure I wont' run into issues after getting the permit/cutting holes in my wall. Since I want to do a corner install and it's already close to the back of the house, could I have the 90 degree head towards the back of the house and continue until it's past the back? This wouldn't require a lot of extra pipe, I might do another 6 inches to make sure it clears the back of the house. I've drawn a crude picture on a photo of my house on what I mean. If I could this would place it over 4 ft from either window. Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• New Pellet Stove Owner DIY install Vent Question
    20141018_080048.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 141
How about straight up and out through the roof?

You could I guess but make you dont exceed the max EVL in the manual. Could you just make the run go higher up instead (dont know if windows up there).

Hi everyone! Apologies if this has been answered before, but searching hear and image searching on google yielded no results.

Just purchased and England 25 PDVC in hopes of making my house more cozy this winter but likely not as the sole heat source. At any rate, I'm having a bit of a pickle when it comes to picking a place to vent it. I have windows EVERYWHERE. Getting the 4 ft to the side or below per the manual seems almost impossible without having to put it in a weird spot in the house and from what I've been told local permitting will basically follow the instructions as if it were the bible when issuing the permit (South shore MA)

However, I believe I've come up with a solution, and I don't think it's too crazy. I'm just trying to make sure I wont' run into issues after getting the permit/cutting holes in my wall. Since I want to do a corner install and it's already close to the back of the house, could I have the 90 degree head towards the back of the house and continue until it's past the back? This wouldn't require a lot of extra pipe, I might do another 6 inches to make sure it clears the back of the house. I've drawn a crude picture on a photo of my house on what I mean. If I could this would place it over 4 ft from either window. Any feedback is appreciated!
By the photo it looks to me like you are exiting the house 4 ft from the side of the window anyway. Plus you would have a spout and wind cap on the end, just turn that slightly if you need to.

Yeah there is a window above and I can get one foot above the pictured window but then it's only 3 ft below the next window up. I'm going to be very careful about the EVL I don't anticipate this plan will do that based on the math

As for going through the ceiling that would involve going another floor (bed room) then the attic then the roof.

By the photo it looks to me like you are exiting the house 4 ft from the side of the window anyway. Plus you would have a spout and wind cap on the end, just turn that slightly if you need to.

From what I've measured I believe where I am exiting is just shy of 4 feet is why I thought redirecting it away to the back would be okay. Are you suggesting to just angle the end spout and cap slightly away from that window to achieve the missing few inches? That might be an easier solution.

From what I've measured I believe where I am exiting is just shy of 4 feet is why I thought redirecting it away to the back would be okay. Are you suggesting to just angle the end spout and cap slightly away from that window to achieve the missing few inches? That might be an easier solution.
That's my suggestion. You still have to maintain the proper install distance from the wall as well. But too you can always ask your town permit inspector for what he requires ( usually building inspector). Most follow the install instruction and most install instructions put the opening 4' to the side of an operating window ( non opening windows don't count).

Status
Not open for further replies.