New Stove Installed - and I'm not very happy with it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I scheduled the work I talked to my town hall and was told that all I needed was to take a picture of the finished work and bring it and the new stove manual to town hall. How does the permit process usually work and how would that have prevented my problem?

You are right, at least I have the stove pipe for inside.

kingston73 said:
OK, now I'm really getting angry at this supposedly professional guy. Based on prices I have found on the internet, this is what I'm estimating the parts would have cost me. Feel free to tell me if I'm being unreasonable:
90 deg. elbow - $30
2 pieces of 24 inch black single wall - $30
18 inch long double wall class A pipe - $90
60 lbs concrete - $20
Total parts price - $170

He charged me $200 for parts. Ok, I get it, if this was a mechanics shop they upcharge on things. He spent about 3 1/2 hours working and charged me $300 for that.

Reasonable or no? I'm relying on you all because I really don't know what a reasonable hourly rate is for masonry work. I know if it was a mechanic it would be about right, generally around $80-90 per hour.

I'm just getting really P.O. looking at things because everything I'm finding makes it look like I'm going to have to basically disassemble everything he did in order to do things right.

It wouldn't have been to bad a price if it would have been done correctly. But for a poor job it seems awfull expesive. Should have had him get a permit. Oh well, Live and learn.

kingston73 said:
Before I scheduled the work I talked to my town hall and was told that all I needed was to take a picture of three finished work and bring it and the new stove manual to town hall. How does the permit process usually work and how would that have prevented my problem?

You are right, at least I have the stove pipe for inside.

To pull my permit I was 1st req'd to have my chimney cleaned and inspected by a licensed sweep (I submitted the paperwork when I pulled/paid for the permit) . I was also req'd to have the stove manual on site when the inspector read the manual and ensured I followed the manufacturer's guidelines. They also checked that I had working CO detectors which are req'd. in all homes in Mass.. I think you would have failed inspection on the uppermost pipe being too close to combustibles and the thimble as well more than likely.. This would have given you recourse to get this corrected by the installer.. Your town sounds very lax if that was all they needed and didn't do you any favors.. After I passed inspection I was mailed a certificate to send to my ins. co. stating I installed the new stove and passed inspection.. The permit/inspection was $30.00 for the stove install.. Hearth was $60.00 a rip off since all they did was look at the installed Durock..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.