New Stove, New House Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stohs57

Jul 28, 2017
Southeast Nebraska
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and have been combing through the archives pulling as much info as I can from old threads. I'm 29 years old and some of my earliest memories include cutting and splitting firewood with Gramps and Dad. I've been in a wood burning stove home for a vast majority of my life. All the stoves I've been around have been older ones that light easy and roar like crazy, but after being on the forum for a little while, there is much for me to learn about the new stoves!

My question pertains to getting the proper amount of air flow in these new stoves. My wife and I are building a new house, and unfortunately we cannot have a walkout basement as the land our house will be sitting on is flat. This house will be sealed up pretty tight I would imagine. The way I see it, is that I have 2 options for a chimney, and would like your input as to which would be better for having adequate draft, or will I need an OAK? Option 1- run my flue out the top of the stove into floor trusses, 90 degree toward the outside of the house (5-6 feet of horizontal flue I suppose), then 90 up. Or Option 2- straight up through my house, then out the roof. Pretty sure option 2 is the correct answer, but are either one of these options safe? All the wood burners I've been around have had walk out basements and you could just run your flue out a concrete wall, then into brick chimney instead of running it through wood trusses or through your house. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and have been combing through the archives pulling as much info as I can from old threads. I'm 29 years old and some of my earliest memories include cutting and splitting firewood with Gramps and Dad. I've been in a wood burning stove home for a vast majority of my life. All the stoves I've been around have been older ones that light easy and roar like crazy, but after being on the forum for a little while, there is much for me to learn about the new stoves!

My question pertains to getting the proper amount of air flow in these new stoves. My wife and I are building a new house, and unfortunately we cannot have a walkout basement as the land our house will be sitting on is flat. This house will be sealed up pretty tight I would imagine. The way I see it, is that I have 2 options for a chimney, and would like your input as to which would be better for having adequate draft, or will I need an OAK? Option 1- run my flue out the top of the stove into floor trusses, 90 degree toward the outside of the house (5-6 feet of horizontal flue I suppose), then 90 up. Or Option 2- straight up through my house, then out the roof. Pretty sure option 2 is the correct answer, but are either one of these options safe? All the wood burners I've been around have had walk out basements and you could just run your flue out a concrete wall, then into brick chimney instead of running it through wood trusses or through your house. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The straighter the flue... the better it draws...

...and the easier it cleans.

We also built our own house and I'm sure you're already discovering it's a real adventure.
Welcome to the forum. :) You'll get lots of technical advice on how to do your chimney.

Greg

Last edited:
of the 2 with new construction i'd go with option 2. just run class A pipe in a chase and you'll never even know its there. my opinion on why option 1 is bad is because of the long horizontal run. if you have to do the two 90's to go out and up then you want that horizontal run to be as short as possible.

Option 2 is definitely the best and will be safe as long as all clearance requirements are met or exceeded. With a tight modern house an OAK may still be needed and probably is a good idea, especially if there is a powerful exhaust hood in the kitchen. Will there be an HRV or other whole house ventilation system installed?